Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Between keeping your house clean, ironing, laundry, cooking from scratch and a myriad other miscellaneous household-related chores often related to organizing the household and putting things away - there is not much time left for volunteering at school, in my experience.
Who irons? All the clothing here is permanent press and I haven't ironed anything in a long time. Just had to comment on that one.

My kids were taught to put their own things away so that was not a big issue.

As the kids got older, they did their own laundry and helped with dusting, vacuuming and even cooking.

When you have smaller children around who are messing up the house as you clean everything takes longer, but once the kids are in school, seriously, most household chores don't take all that much time.

Cooking from scratch can take a lot of time or a little time. It really depends on what you make. Making my mom's lasagne recipe takes the whole day because the sauce has to simmer all day and you need to watch that it doesn't burn or boil over, but cooking chicken and rice doesn't need to be an all day project and its the spices that makes that dish tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think you're right to be concerned. I can't believe that this method is still taught.
Looks like it is. If people were using nothing else but common sense
they would intuitively know that phonetic writing is just plain wrong; but common sense has been long gone and blind faith in the "latest" experimental methods became common place in America quite while ago. Granted, phonetic writing is no longer such a fresh-out-of-the-oven gimmick, yet it looks like it caught strong cultural roots in time.

The argument that if we press children with correct spelling will just annoy them and deter them from writing, is the biggest bunch of bunk I have ever heard of; and yet this is exactly what my son's teacher presented us with on Parent's Open Night. I know we will most probably send them to Catholic school starting Middle School and up, but we can't do 5 years of private elementary school too for both children.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Who irons? All the clothing here is permanent press and I haven't ironed anything in a long time.
If anyone in the family wears anything as much as a cotton t-shirt - that requires ironing. Not everyone is OK wearing nylons and polyesters everywhere.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
If anyone in the family wears anything as much as a cotton t-shirt - that requires ironing. Not everyone is OK wearing nylons and polyesters everywhere.
Even cottons are ok if you take them out of the drier immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education