U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM

85,004 posts, read 98,863,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Bingo...I have a couple of students who strive for perfect attendance. Yesterday, one of them coughed and snotted all over her textbook, neighbors, etc.

Parents should require students to be in school each and every day they are well enough to be. If they are sick and contagious, please don't view us as a babysitter. Do like I do...take a sick day and stay home with your child.

I have a 10th grade student in my classroom who is currently undergoing chemo. If you think about nobody else, think about not exposing HER to your child's sickness please...
Exactly! Working in a pediatric office, I see a lot of kids with chronic illnesses, etc who are perfectly capable of going to school but should not be exposed to obviously sick kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 AM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
you were in the 4th grade and you thought it was stupid? I don't believe that. I bet you were at least happy you got it. be honest with yourself.
I am being honest with both myself and with you. Even 4th graders should know that being present isn't enough, its the bare minimum.

Quote:
and for the record honor roll didn't mean much to me after the 1st one so it's not like that was such a hard thing to achieve.
Ahhh, I see the problem, its about novelty for you. Look, one of the major problems in this education system is that kids want special attention for things that have nothing to do with learning. The learning itself is the ultimate goal, its nice your kid never missed school but it MEANS NOTHING especially when compared to say a kid who was sick frequently and still worked hard enough to get one the honor roll.

Really, later in life who is going to be better off? The kid who can over come say a situation where they have missed time and still make the deadlines while going above and beyond or the joe-schmo who punches the clock everyday but thats it? Which do you want your kid to be?

Quote:
and perfect attendance isn't arbitrary, it's factual. and it's attainable.
Actually, as has been shown by numerous people in this thread, not only is it not particularly attainable, its downright dangerous to OTHERS let alone yourself.

Quote:
none of the awards should be given if we go by your logic because different kids put value on different things. some kids put sports over school, some put school over band etc...my kid got high grades too and certificates for them but she wanted more, and perfect attendance is a goal she shot for and attained so your rant is pointless.

and my nose is in perfect alignment.
LOL!

If its a goal, and she attained it then what you are whining about isn't anything more than sour grapes over THE CERTIFICATE. Print one off the internet already and be done with it sheesh.

Lots of personal goals are not showered with praise by others. So what? If the actual goal of perfect attendance REALLY meant anything to the kid than she MET that goal. Yay. End of story.

But maybe you should be honest here. What you kid really wanted was PRAISE for meeting her goal of perfect attendance. But as seen by nearly every other poster since you hijacked this thread, as well as her school board, no one else particularly values that goal. SO WHAT? My daughter wanted very much to place at the local and regional science fair. None of her teachers or school were particularly interested in supporting that goal so she went outside of that group and did what she needed to. I am not whining about the school not recognizing it like you are. She met her goal, it was its own reward. Get over the shallow need for praise already and teach your child the INHERENT value of setting and meeting goals.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,722,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
It may not mean anything to YOU, but YOU don't know what it can do for a little kids confidence about being at school. It's obvious you've never had perfect attendance so you wouldn't understand. to a little kid that could mean a lot. when I was a kid, I never got perfect attendance but I did TRY to get it. kids that got it felt great aobut themselves just like the ones who made honor roll. I eventually made honor roll a few times but never perfect attendance. so for my kid to acheive it was awesome for the kid and me too!!!
+

It's about settings goals for the kids. kids always do better when they have something shoot for. that's common sense.
Giving kids awards for what amounts to luck or stupidity doesn't bolster confidence. Actual accomplishment does that. What you are missing here is perfect attendance is not attained through hard work on the part of the child!!! It's either luck, in that the child never got sick (making the award more like a raffle) or the child was sent to school in spite of being sick which is stupid and risky to other students in the classroom and the reward is now for bad behavior.

Seriously, if perfect attendance is your child's big accomplishment, you need to work with your child to find things for which their effort actually matters. There have been years when my kids had perfect attendance and years when they didn't. I have never sweated whether or not they got an award for it (they never have gotten one) because it's not THEIR EFFORT that results in perfect attendance in the first place!!! Kids should be rewarded when their hard work has paid off not when they got lucky or parents sent them to school while sick. And even then, kids should be taught the value of accomplishing a goal just for the sake of accomplishing a goal. There doesn't need to be an award for every goal met.

They used to give perfect attendance awards in the comany I worked for. What a joke. Everyone gets sick now and again and you should stay home when you are. Eventually, they figured that out and stopped giving the awards. Awards for perfect attendance just encourage kids to come to school sick and that exposes everyone else.

You say it's about setting goals and kids having things they shoot for. What if a child has set for themselves the goal of perfect attendance and then they get the flu? Are they now to feel bad about themselves because they did not attain their goal???

I would suggest you encourage your child to set goals which he/she actually has some control over the outcome for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or