Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think its almost a conspiracy whats going on in schools.

1st - They subtly tie students self esteem in highschool to college! I.e....you have to "apply yourself", "aim high", "reach your potential", "do your best", etc. What does all this mean? It means going onto a 4 year school. It does not mean picking up a shovel or becoming a janitor.

2nd - They eliminate other options. They don't like motivated self learners. I think thats a threat to the system. Thus, you are dependent upon all these tests, exams, etc to "prove" that you're smart, or otherwise.

Wasn't George Washington self taught? Or Ben Franklin? There's all these historical figures that were self taught....but then its like they apply a double standard. You can't do that now. You've got to be buried under tests and exams and busywork in order to "prove" you can learn in 2011. It's almost like they want armies of drones to believe they are college ready (whether they are or not).

3rd - They don't want individuality. They want everyone conforming to a predetermined mold. All the self esteem, group work, conformity, etc.

I think trades have been eliminated because they are about individuality, being self sufficient, being more of a self learner.

I think the elites that really run the show would rather have a bunch of naive 18 year olds in debt., not knowing any real skills. Maybe the skill is being able to repay the debt! But that's about it.

Why have politically correct degrees grown so much over the last 10-15 years (latino studies, women studies, gender studies, etc), while trades have been eliminated? What's more practical? It seems like boys/men have really gotten the short end of the stick.

4th - Why don't they just put the trade school in the highschool? Why is there so little logic in the system? It seems like you're unduly penalized and ostracized if you want to leave the system.

I think the system is a sham. It's all about the money $$$$. Funding gets cut in one area (trades), but funding goes up in another area (i.e. guaranteeing student loans). Why have trades declined while (questionable) for profit schools have risen so much?

Average students are being taken advantage of and short changed by the elite.
I think this is a post that makes a lot of sense. Again, it brings the conspiracy theorist out of me - but it rings so true to what I see out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I think its almost a conspiracy whats going on in schools.

1st - They subtly tie students self esteem in highschool to college! I.e....you have to "apply yourself", "aim high", "reach your potential", "do your best", etc. What does all this mean? It means going onto a 4 year school. It does not mean picking up a shovel or becoming a janitor.

2nd - They eliminate other options. They don't like motivated self learners. I think thats a threat to the system. Thus, you are dependent upon all these tests, exams, etc to "prove" that you're smart, or otherwise.

Wasn't George Washington self taught? Or Ben Franklin? There's all these historical figures that were self taught....but then its like they apply a double standard. You can't do that now. You've got to be buried under tests and exams and busywork in order to "prove" you can learn in 2011. It's almost like they want armies of drones to believe they are college ready (whether they are or not).

3rd - They don't want individuality. They want everyone conforming to a predetermined mold. All the self esteem, group work, conformity, etc.

I think trades have been eliminated because they are about individuality, being self sufficient, being more of a self learner.

I think the elites that really run the show would rather have a bunch of naive 18 year olds in debt., not knowing any real skills. Maybe the skill is being able to repay the debt! But that's about it.

Why have politically correct degrees grown so much over the last 10-15 years (latino studies, women studies, gender studies, etc), while trades have been eliminated? What's more practical? It seems like boys/men have really gotten the short end of the stick.

4th - Why don't they just put the trade school in the highschool? Why is there so little logic in the system? It seems like you're unduly penalized and ostracized if you want to leave the system.

I think the system is a sham. It's all about the money $$$$. Funding gets cut in one area (trades), but funding goes up in another area (i.e. guaranteeing student loans). Why have trades declined while (questionable) for profit schools have risen so much?

Average students are being taken advantage of and short changed by the elite.
You're putting the conspiracy in the wrong place. Schools don't determine what society values, they reflect what society values. How many parents do you hear telling their kids "Aim low"...."Don't apply yourself"..."Don't reach your potential"??? Schools reflect parents values. Parents want their kids to aim high, they want them to apply themselves and they want them to reach their potential. The problem is, they also want their kids valued by all and when their child turns out to have low potential, they want that valued too but the bar has already been set.

I do think that self esteem is often tied to college because college is the brass ring. It is society that is looking down it's nose at everything else. I teach in an affluent district and I put an extra slide in my parent day presentation this year that states that a B in chemistry is not a bad grade.

I don't think we discourage independent learning though. It's just not encouraged in school because of limited time and specific goals (determined by society NOT the school) schools are measured by BUT kids only spend about 1/4th of their waking time in school (ignoring the first 5 years). That leaves plenty of time for learning things you want to learn. I know because I did it and I did it without computers. Today, it's even easier because you can look up things on the internet or even your phone and learn about them.

As to your third point, correlation does not equal causation. Kids go to the same school because they either live in the same area (chosen by the parents) or the parents chose to send them to a certain school. The parents are doing the choosing. Parents choose neighborhoods where people are like them and, as a result, their kids grow up with kids who are like them. This has nothing to do with schools having some magic ability to turn out cookie cutter models of children or even them attempting to do so. Trust me, schools have bigger fish to fry than this.

You are putting the blame in the wrong place. Schools don't push college because of their own agenda. They push college because parents/society want college pushed. Just try telling the parent of a 10 year old that THEIR child should train to be a janitor ( That could get a teacher fired). Yes, schools teach certain things but that's because that's what society has determined they should teach. And, finally, yes, schools tend to turn out kids who are the same BUT that has nothing to do with the school. That has to do with choices made by the parents and peer pressure. Trust me, if some of these inner city schools, where gangs and drugs are rampant and not graduating is the norm, had the power to turn out kids who were just like their surburban counterparts, they would do it in a heartbeat!!!!!

You ask why trades have declined while for profit schools have risen? Simple. People want for profit schools and don't want trades training programs. Trust me, IF trades programs were what people wanted, there'd be plenty of institutions willing to take their money to give it to them. You are confusing conspiracy with demand leading supply. Those who want trades programs at the high school level need to start demanding them. Trust me, schools will respond if enough people demand something. If enough don't, then you're on your own to find it elsewhere. Schools serve the majority not the minority.

Why have PC degrees risin in popularity? Because people wanted to be able to study things near and dear to their hearts, they demanded it and schools responded by offering the programs. It's much easier to get a degree if you can study what you want to study so people will demand the ability to study what they want to study. I'm not sure what value these degrees are in society though but it really doesn't matter to the school. They got their money. Trust me, if enough people want something, schools will offer it. They don't want your money going elsewhere.

In my area, several school districts work together to keep voc-ed programs alive. Due to budget restrictions and limited enrollment, programs were dying. Schools now bus students to other high schools for voc-ed training. One school might offer medical, one might offer AC repair, etc, etc, etc....Kids don't have to leave the district to get what they want. They just have to hop on the bus.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-27-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 02:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I haven't even read the first page and already I have a ton of posts multi-quoted for commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
OP, I share your frustration that vo-tech has gone out of fashion. Middle son made it through high school fine, with an IEP, and is a junior in college right now, holding his own. But, I think he would have loved a vocational path, instead of struggling through to get a degree. There are tech schools around, but they have an unfortunate stigma attached to them here, and the kids are reluctant to attend.
Ultimately, I think the bachelor's degree will give your son more options than a high school diploma with a vocational certificate.

My brother-in-law (also middle child) did not have a great interest in school. He went to a vocational high school with the intent of studying electronics. He did so well and was so interested in it he went on to a two year college program. He did so well there and wanted to learn more, so he finished his BS in electrical engineerin. He recently retired from a long career at a TV station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
He's not taking calculus. I was using that as an example.

I'm not making excuses. I'm just saying not every kid is going to college. That was the point of this thread and I was using my son as an example of a non-college bound child. Not every child SHOULD go to college. It's not for everyone. I'm just frustrated with the lack of options for students. They are trying to make all kids fit into the same mold. You teach chemistry, why would I need chemistry if I'm not going to college? That's my point.

I did go to college and I still never needed chemistry.
This "not everyone should go to college" mantra is stated over and over, both here on the ed forum and on P&OC. I'm concerned with kids getting the idea they shouldn't go to college from all this. Anyone can go to a community college, even if they didn't graduate from high school. (They might have to take some remedial courses.) There are plenty of vocational programs at the CCs in my area. It seems that most of the vocational stuff has moved to that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I agree... Not only are some students not college bound but there are a lot of students who are smart and are ABLE to get into college but simply don't have the money, and don't want to take out loans they'll never be able to pay. This is one reason why i think the programs at my school are amazing... In my school there are academies and houses; the break down is like this:

Aarts Academy and Humanity house are just there lol.

Liberal Arts Academy: here you can

~ Graduate as a chef's assistant
~Graduate with a automotive technician assistance degree
~ Graduate with a degree in construction (assistant)
~ Welding degrees (idk about the rest of these)
~Cabinet making
~ Fashion Design (many internships)
~ Cosmeotology (degree)

Law and forensics

~ 8 Hour Security guard course
~ PD testing and preparation

HUman And health services

~ 180 hour nursing internship which qualifies you as an assitant nurse.

In addition to this,the school has a daycare for the community run by the seniors and a teacher, a salon on campus open to the students during free period, and to the community at a discounted rate, an auto body shop run by the seniors and a teacher for fix ups on student cars and community cars and it is free for in district employees.

I thinkall the school should offer programs like these, my school is the only school in a few districts with these programs.
There is no such thing as a "assistant nurse". There is Certified Nurse Assistant, but the programs are about half that length for a high school graduate. A CNA is not something you would want to do for the rest of your life, either. There is virtually NO opportunity for advancement.

Nurse Aide Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Yes, but you can also blame parents for not driving their students to try harder in the math or sciences. Since you supposely don't make any money in those industries.
The fallback position, blame the parents.

What do you mean you don't make money in math and science related fields. Engineering? Computers? Call me

Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I haven't even read the first page and already I have a ton of posts multi-quoted for commentary.

Ultimately, I think the bachelor's degree will give your son more options than a high school diploma with a vocational certificate.

My brother-in-law (also middle child) did not have a great interest in school. He went to a vocational high school with the intent of studying electronics. He did so well and was so interested in it he went on to a two year college program. He did so well there and wanted to learn more, so he finished his BS in electrical engineerin. He recently retired from a long career at a TV station.

This "not everyone should go to college" mantra is stated over and over, both here on the ed forum and on P&OC. I'm concerned with kids getting the idea they shouldn't go to college from all this. Anyone can go to a community college, even if they didn't graduate from high school. (They might have to take some remedial courses.) There are plenty of vocational programs at the CCs in my area. It seems that most of the vocational stuff has moved to that level.

There is no such thing as a "assistant nurse". There is Certified Nurse Assistant, but the programs are about half that length for a high school graduate. A CNA is not something you would want to do for the rest of your life, either. There is virtually NO opportunity for advancement.

Nurse Aide Certificate

The fallback position, blame the parents.

What do you mean you don't make money in math and science related fields. Engineering? Computers? Call me
There is a reason this is the fallback position. Parents have the power. Teachers and schools don't.

I have one child who is really struggling (due to her own issues). There is little the school can do for her. There's a LOT I can do for her. I'm not guaranteed it will work but I know I'm the one with the power so I know I have to try.

Parents are a child's first and last line of defense. If they fail, there is not much the system can do.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
Quote:
I didn't know if this should go here or in the parenting forum but since it has more to do with school I figured it might be better here.

Not all kids are college bound so why are the high schools making it more difficult for kids to graduate? Why are there no options for the kids who aren't going to college and want to learn a trade? The school my son attends used to have a trade program and a college program. They have eliminated the trade program so the college prep one is the only option.

My DS failed a class last year so he went to summer school, which I find out today that he failed that too. The summer school class was all online at the school. The teachers said it was very hard and was for kids who were self motivated. Well, if they were self motivated they wouldn't have failed the class in the first place. How does that make any sense? I understand not wanting to make the summer school classes an easy way out but this is ridiculous. So he is repeating the class this semester. Now if he fails another class this year (which is likely) he won't be able to graduate on time.

My son is no rocket scientist and I know he will not be going to college. He has ADHD and before he was diagnosed he had to repeat a grade in elementary school so he is already 17 and will be 18 before the end of the school year. He just started 11th grade today.

I have a feeling that he will get discouraged with school and drop out. How does that benefit society by adding to the amount of kids that drop out? I understand holding kids to a high standard, but not all kids are very academic. Not all will go to college. Someone has to be the janitors, or fast food workers. Why doesn't our education system accept this?
I just retired as a high school teacher. The school is a business. The money that used to be spent on vocational programs and electives is now spent on teacher's salaries, administration and programs that teach to state tests.

If your son is not the type to "sit in the front row" and be a nice little boy, he will find school difficult. I bet the school has recommended he be tested for special education services, huh? Maybe a school psychologist has told you that he might need counseling or medication? I would not let them near my son. Most boys have ADHD. They want to do stuff. School's have cut PE time .

Your county has a school that he can be enrolled in. You also can home school or do online classes. Your son will be fine once he is allowed to get away from the memorizing and the philosophy of "teaching to the test". I have taught boys like your son, they need to do stuff, not sit in a boring classroom learning "trivial pursuit" junk. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You're putting the conspiracy in the wrong place. Schools don't determine what society values, they reflect what society values. How many parents do you hear telling their kids "Aim low"...."Don't apply yourself"..."Don't reach your potential"??? Schools reflect parents values. Parents want their kids to aim high, they want them to apply themselves and they want them to reach their potential. The problem is, they also want their kids valued by all and when their child turns out to have low potential, they want that valued too but the bar has already been set.

I do think that self esteem is often tied to college because college is the brass ring. It is society that is looking down it's nose at everything else. I teach in an affluent district and I put an extra slide in my parent day presentation this year that states that a B in chemistry is not a bad grade.

I don't think we discourage independent learning though. It's just not encouraged in school because of limited time and specific goals (determined by society NOT the school) schools are measured by BUT kids only spend about 1/4th of their waking time in school (ignoring the first 5 years). That leaves plenty of time for learning things you want to learn. I know because I did it and I did it without computers. Today, it's even easier because you can look up things on the internet or even your phone and learn about them.

As to your third point, correlation does not equal causation. Kids go to the same school because they either live in the same area (chosen by the parents) or the parents chose to send them to a certain school. The parents are doing the choosing. Parents choose neighborhoods where people are like them and, as a result, their kids grow up with kids who are like them. This has nothing to do with schools having some magic ability to turn out cookie cutter models of children or even them attempting to do so. Trust me, schools have bigger fish to fry than this.

You are putting the blame in the wrong place. Schools don't push college because of their own agenda. They push college because parents/society want college pushed. Just try telling the parent of a 10 year old that THEIR child should train to be a janitor ( That could get a teacher fired). Yes, schools teach certain things but that's because that's what society has determined they should teach. And, finally, yes, schools tend to turn out kids who are the same BUT that has nothing to do with the school. That has to do with choices made by the parents and peer pressure. Trust me, if some of these inner city schools, where gangs and drugs are rampant and not graduating is the norm, had the power to turn out kids who were just like their surburban counterparts, they would do it in a heartbeat!!!!!

You ask why trades have declined while for profit schools have risen? Simple. People want for profit schools and don't want trades training programs. Trust me, IF trades programs were what people wanted, there'd be plenty of institutions willing to take their money to give it to them. You are confusing conspiracy with demand leading supply. Those who want trades programs at the high school level need to start demanding them. Trust me, schools will respond if enough people demand something. If enough don't, then you're on your own to find it elsewhere. Schools serve the majority not the minority.

Why have PC degrees risin in popularity? Because people wanted to be able to study things near and dear to their hearts, they demanded it and schools responded by offering the programs. It's much easier to get a degree if you can study what you want to study so people will demand the ability to study what they want to study. I'm not sure what value these degrees are in society though but it really doesn't matter to the school. They got their money. Trust me, if enough people want something, schools will offer it. They don't want your money going elsewhere.

In my area, several school districts work together to keep voc-ed programs alive. Due to budget restrictions and limited enrollment, programs were dying. Schools now bus students to other high schools for voc-ed training. One school might offer medical, one might offer AC repair, etc, etc, etc....Kids don't have to leave the district to get what they want. They just have to hop on the bus.
The fact that it runs so deep, makes me think its a conspiracy.

1st - They could tie self esteem to trades. Why aren't builders, craftsmen, plumbers, electricians talked about at all in school?

Why aren't there more facts presented in school? It seems like students (esp those 15-18) are presented with a lot of abstract notions, instead of facts.

The abstract notions being....aim high, apply yourself, "reach for the stars", you can do good in the world going to college, etc. These things are very amorphous and hard to quantify. Its like they specify an underlying need that you may have (i.e. a future lawyer that is going to help the poor or save the world). Or follow your passion (i.e. womens studies or english lit). The underlying need is not a trade!

Its not being a plumber or electrician. Forget all the save the world stuff, and follow your passion.

2nd - I don't think it's all society. There's a lot of college marketing going on (i.e. us news and world report rankings). Schools go to great efforts to increase their ratings.

Why aren't college ratings debated in school? I never heard any debates when I was in highschool. Kids 15-16, are still impressionable. Heck, adults are impressionable. You'd think debates would be important to get rid of that naivety. What has happened to a healthy dose of skepticism in 18 year olds? I think skepticism has been covered up by.....self esteem, group work, political rhetoric, pressure by colleges to fill seats, etc.

3rd - Kids are in school for a long time....7-8 hours a day, 9 months of the year for 12 years. Teachers become de facto parents for kids. What if both your parents work all the time? Some kids probably see their teachers more than their parents.

4th - I don't really believe the "funding" issues. I.e., kids are going to suffer because we can't "fund" this. They can guarantee student loans, thats almost unlimited money.

Why guarantee almost unlimited money for questionable degrees (womens studies, art history, for profits)....but there's no money for trades? It doesn't make much sense. It seems like they can never get the funding right to actually build skills for middle of the road students (esp boys), say earning a b or c.

5th - I don't think people demand trades in school because A. They've been brainwashed with political correctness. They've been brainwashed by politicans (i.e. every child has to go to college). C. They're uninformed about whats really going on in the world, and think a college degree will solve all their problems.

I think the people that really run the show don't want a bunch of 18 year olds who are self sufficient and who know a skill. They'd rather have naive students who get into debt. Many of the for profit schools would vanish if we had effective and real technical training in highschool. How could they not? Why would you go to a for profit if you already know a skill?

6th - I think its a conspiracy because it runs all the way back to kindergarten and it involves every student (being molded the same). Children are taught early that life is about academics. Testing at every grade level. You're in the same class as academics. It's about written tests, essays, book reports etc. It becomes who you are. I.e., by the time you're 17, you think I'm a failure in school.

Why doesn't that 17 year old feel decent or good about himself in a trade? There's no reason why he couldn't. Schools seem to skip over the fact that kids are wired differently and process information differently. I bet the testing pressure has only made the bottom kids feel worst. I think its all a sham to create customers for for profits. The for profits have bounced the trades off the playground.

Last edited by John23; 08-27-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
I didn't know if this should go here or in the parenting forum but since it has more to do with school I figured it might be better here.

Not all kids are college bound so why are the high schools making it more difficult for kids to graduate? Why are there no options for the kids who aren't going to college and want to learn a trade?
Because all kids HAVE to go to college!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The fact that it runs so deep, makes me think its a conspiracy.

1st - They could tie self esteem to trades. Why aren't builders, craftsmen, plumbers, electricians talked about at all in school?

Why aren't there more facts presented in school? It seems like students (esp those 15-18) are presented with a lot of abstract notions, instead of facts.

The abstract notions being....aim high, apply yourself, "reach for the stars", you can do good in the world going to college, etc. These things are very amorphous and hard to quantify. Its like they specify an underlying need that you may have (i.e. a future lawyer that is going to help the poor or save the world). Or follow your passion (i.e. womens studies or english lit). The underlying need is not a trade!

Its not being a plumber or electrician. Forget all the save the world stuff, and follow your passion.

2nd - I don't think it's all society. There's a lot of college marketing going on (i.e. us news and world report rankings). Schools go to great efforts to increase their ratings.

Why aren't college ratings debated in school? I never heard any debates when I was in highschool. Kids 15-16, are still impressionable. Heck, adults are impressionable. You'd think debates would be important to get rid of that naivety. What has happened to a healthy dose of skepticism in 18 year olds? I think skepticism has been covered up by.....self esteem, group work, political rhetoric, pressure by colleges to fill seats, etc.

3rd - Kids are in school for a long time....7-8 hours a day, 9 months of the year for 12 years. Teachers become de facto parents for kids. What if both your parents work all the time? Some kids probably see their teachers more than their parents.

4th - I don't really believe the "funding" issues. I.e., kids are going to suffer because we can't "fund" this. They can guarantee student loans, thats almost unlimited money.

Why guarantee almost unlimited money for questionable degrees (womens studies, art history, for profits)....but there's no money for trades? It doesn't make much sense. It seems like they can never get the funding right to actually build skills for middle of the road students (esp boys), say earning a b or c.

5th - I don't think people demand trades in school because A. They've been brainwashed with political correctness. They've been brainwashed by politicans (i.e. every child has to go to college). C. They're uninformed about whats really going on in the world, and think a college degree will solve all their problems.

I think the people that really run the show don't want a bunch of 18 year olds who are self sufficient and who know a skill. They'd rather have naive students who get into debt. Many of the for profit schools would vanish if we had effective and real technical training in highschool. How could they not? Why would you go to a for profit if you already know a skill?

6th - I think its a conspiracy because it runs all the way back to kindergarten and it involves every student (being molded the same). Children are taught early that life is about academics. Testing at every grade level. You're in the same class as academics. It's about written tests, essays, book reports etc. It becomes who you are. I.e., by the time you're 17, you think I'm a failure in school.

Why doesn't that 17 year old feel decent or good about himself in a trade? There's no reason why he couldn't. Schools seem to skip over the fact that kids are wired differently and process information differently. I bet the testing pressure has only made the bottom kids feel worst. I think its all a sham to create customers for for profits. The for profits have bounced the trades off the playground.
It's deeply engrained BECAUSE school REFLECTS what society values. No conspiracy here at all. Schools teach what society wants them to teach. Period. Of course it's going to look deeply engrained. It's deeply engrained in society but it was society that put it there. There was a time when self esteem was tied to a job well done in this country and it was any job well done. Now it's the job that pays the most. In case you haven't noticed, we're a very materialistic nation. The one with the biggest bank account, biggest house and best car when they die wins. Trades, are a means to a job and I think the assumption is that those who want to go into the trades will apprentice instead of going to college.

School is about academics and schools are about identifying the best and the brightest. That's what society wants school to be about (and every parent wants their child to be in the best and brightest group). I think the lack of trades programs really stems from not wanting to write kids off too soon. If I put a child into a college prep program and they decide not to go to college, I haven't done any harm. If I put a child into a trades program and it turns out they were just a late bloomer and could have been a physicist...I could have done a lot of harm. We tend to think that the sky is the limit for our kids and we structure school accordingly. It's not really an issue of what schools offer so much as what parents will accept. Seriously, I could get fired if I told a parent I thought their child wasn't college material.

I, totally, disagree on teachers becomeing defacto parents to kids. Kids are in school 7 hours a day and spend, at most, 6 of those with the same teacher in elementary school. After that, they see a particular teacher about an hour a day. Children see teachers, however many hours, appx half of the days in a given year and when they do see teachers, they share the teacher's attention with 29 other kids. Compare this to parents. Parents already have 5 years of history with a child before they enter school and parents spend time wtih their children pretty much every day of the year. Parents spend part of the day with their kids on school days and the whole day on days off. Parents also have fewer children to divide the time they have with children between. There is no comparison between parents and teachers. Teachers are minor players.

It cracks me up when people want to say teachers become like parents. Not even close. How much impact do you think a teacher can have when they see a child for half of the day for half of the days of a year and then see that child with 29 other kids. All you need to do is look at kids who grow up in orphanages to see that this doesn't work. You can't take an adult and spread them that thin and expect them to be a parent to a child. This is why we have our children one at a time and not in litters....

I do think schools market but it's up to people to buy. You seem to have this idea that people are sheep who will just follow whatever the commercial says to do.......We have brains....we can research colleges... People buy what colleges are selling because it's what people want to buy not because the colleges made them.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Agree with most of the above. In re: the for-profit schools, a lot of them offer what the CCs offer, just at 2-3X (or more) the price.

Most of the vo-tech seems to have moved to the CC level, at least in this area. Not all the programs are degree programs, either. Many are certificates.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You seem to have this idea that people are sheep who will just follow whatever the commercial says to do....

This is exactly what most are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education