Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times

Advertisements

I think asking for reams of copier paper, a 6 pk of paper towels, 3 lg bottles of hand sanitizer and 4 boxes of tissues PER student (in addition to all the standards like pencils, notebooks, etc...) is excessive and the schools (NOT THE TEACHERS!!!) should cover this stuff; especially when in our district our Super makes closer to 200k/yr than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,971 times
I agree, schools should have a budget for housekeeping.... Especially little kids who need to blow noses, and wash hands and sanitize their desks several times a day

Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I think asking for reams of copier paper, a 6 pk of paper towels, 3 lg bottles of hand sanitizer and 4 boxes of tissues PER student (in addition to all the standards like pencils, notebooks, etc...) is excessive and the schools (NOT THE TEACHERS!!!) should cover this stuff; especially when in our district our Super makes closer to 200k/yr than not.
Agreed!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
My kids schools never asked for community items such as tissues or pencils. I understand that it's common practice for private schools to have their students buy their books, but I think it's a rare public school that does that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My kids schools never asked for community items such as tissues or pencils. I understand that it's common practice for private schools to have their students buy their books, but I think it's a rare public school that does that.
It is rare in the public school system. Indiana does it and it was quite a shock when I moved here. You basically pay hundreds of dollars to rent the books because you don't get to keep them nor sell them. A while back someone posted a list of the states that do this and I think it was only like 3 states. I can't remember which ones now besides Indiana. Wish I could find a link.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
We are not asked to purchase much at all. Our district supplies the teachers with almost everything they need for the students. At christmas, teachers may sometimes put out a " wish list" and it may contain items that need replenished, ut that is pretty much it.
I only had to purchase a 3 ring binder for my oldest and a box of colored pencils for my youngest..

We are fortunate, although, our taxes certainly reflect what is given to the teachers...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM

16 posts, read 59,270 times
At our school, there is one classroom set of books for in class use and all the books are available online for homework. My daughter loves it because she doesn't have a locker full of heavy textbooks.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
My sister, going into third grade needs

6 Spiral notebooks
2 Composition books
6 Plastic folders
Scissors
Ruler
Pencil box
Box of 24 pencils
6 Glue sticks
Box of colord pencils
Box of 24 Crayons
100 Zig Zag Rolling Papers
Markers
Eraser or eraser tops
Clorox Wipes
2 Boxes of tissue
1 bottle of hand sanitizer
a Pack of highlighters
100 4x6 Index cards
100 5x8 Index Cards ( We CANNOT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!!! any ideas?)
What the heck?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
School started two weeks ago here, but I was in Walgreen's yesterday and they still had some school supply lists posted. I picked up a list from one of the lowest income schools in the district. I notice many teachers want Crayola crayons and specifically say "No Rose Art", also Fiskar scissors and Elmer's glue sticks. I can respect this; these teachers know what works. Kids on Free and Reduced Lunch can get exempted from the supplies, so it's not really a financial hardship to anyone.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Kids on Free and Reduced Lunch can get exempted from the supplies, so it's not really a financial hardship to anyone.
Try having more than one kid and an income just above the cutoff. That's where I was for a few years, and it's a definite financial hardship. I bought my kids' school supplies, but there were a couple of years when I was in school that it meant the water bill got paid late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education