Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,331,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I understand anxiety, or bullying etc, at older ages, but what makes you homeschool a child from the time they should be starting pre-k

No hate here though just curiosity.
well, "bullying at older ages" was my reason for homeschooling.

however, re: the second part of your question, I don't believe in "pre-k," and never considered it to be a matter of "homeschooling." I mean my kids loved to learn, were fast learners, and it was basically incorporated into everyday life, not structured in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,632,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS MoneyWatch.com

From the article:
  1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
[LEFT]
Read more: Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS MoneyWatch.com
[/LEFT]
Those statistics are fundamentally flawed.

Homeschool parents are by their very definition are solely from the "engaged" category of parents. It is meaningless statistically to compare them to ALL other students including those from lower SES and those from less than involved parents. The only meaningful comparison would be with other students from similar backgrounds.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,024,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Those statistics are fundamentally flawed.

Homeschool parents are by their very definition are solely from the "engaged" category of parents. It is meaningless statistically to compare them to ALL other students including those from lower SES and those from less than involved parents. The only meaningful comparison would be with other students from similar backgrounds.
What??? Someone was asking how homeschoolers do. This is a link to how homeschoolers do, nobody was asking about lower SES. I don't think you really understand statistics, there is nothing in that study that is flawed. Just because you don't like what they were studying, doesn't negate the study's outcome.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM

919 posts, read 1,681,769 times
Quote:
What??? Someone was asking how homeschoolers do. This is a link to how homeschoolers do, nobody was asking about lower SES. I don't think you really understand statistics, there is nothing in that study that is flawed. Just because you don't like what they were studying, doesn't negate the study's outcome.

With all do respect, isn't it a little (idk the word, not exactly unfair but sort of??) because of the fact that homeschooled children can study as many hours as they want as oppose to children in HS who can only get their credit 8 hours a day?

Also I dont understand why the roman catholic thing was added, along with the living on campus, I almost feel like that may imply they end up in comunity colleges or are unready to go to College to be on their own? Again no hate here so I don't want peoPle on the defensive but why?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,024,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
With all do respect, isn't it a little (idk the word, not exactly unfair but sort of??) because of the fact that homeschooled children can study as many hours as they want as oppose to children in HS who can only get their credit 8 hours a day?

Also I dont understand why the roman catholic thing was added, along with the living on campus, I almost feel like that may imply they end up in comunity colleges or are unready to go to College to be on their own? Again no hate here so I don't want peoPle on the defensive but why?
What's unfair about comparing the way homeschoolers do in college to way nonhomeschoolers do? A couple of people in this thread have said that homeschoolers have gaps in knowledge and don't have a well rounded education. My point is posting it is showing that homeschooling doesn't necessarily harm somebody academically.

Also, no one is stopping public school kids from putting in more time on there own if they want to. BTW, my kid maybe studied three hours a day total when he homeschooled and yet he is still way above grade level in math and reading. He also knows far more about ancient history than his peers. Sure he may not know the same factoids that his public school peers know, but he knows how to look them up so I think he will be fine.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 PM

919 posts, read 1,681,769 times
Quote:
What's unfair about comparing the way homeschoolers do in college to way nonhomeschoolers do? A couple of people in this thread have said that homeschoolers have gaps in knowledge and don't have a well rounded education. My point is posting it is showing that homeschooling doesn't necessarily harm somebody academically.

Also, no one is stopping public school kids from putting in more time on there own if they want to. BTW, my kid maybe studied three hours a day total when he homeschooled and yet he is still way above grade level in math and reading. He also knows far more about ancient history than his peers. Sure he may not know the same factoids that his public school peers know, but he knows how to look them up so I think he will be fine.

Woah, Like I said no one needs to get defensive; i never said home schooled children are less intelligent or are learning less then a child in public school. I also never said it was unfair to compare homeschooled kids to kids in public school what i did say was that if a child is home and in a better position to study a bunch of AP's and to maybe study longer ( by this i meant like with the help of a teacher, and a textbook. Many schools do not allow textbooks to be taken home). Aside from this if a student wanted to self study AP's they may not be able to afford the books and such that are needed.... That's all

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,632,337 times
Quote:
Actually besides being a teacher I am published researcher (invasive species are my specialty) and I am very good at understanding statistics and experimental design.

It is a flawed study because it is comparing HSers to a non-comparable population (all other students). The difference between subpopulations of the larger group are going to be larger than those between the HSers and the larger group. What that means is there is another variable at play that is having a larger effect on the outcome (achievement) than the variable you are looking at (ie HS bs traditional school).

Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM

577 posts, read 896,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Actually, it's the opposite that is true. Where else in life are you ONLY exposed to other people of the exact same age, living in the exact same area, experiencing the exact same things 5 days a week? No where but in traditional schools!

I agree. School is NOT the real world. Sitting in a room full of people exactly the same age as you is not the real world. And behaviors are tolerated in schools that are not tolerated in the "real world." My daughter was called racial slurs on a daily basis and was stabbed in the leg with a pencil when she was in school. Nothing happened to the kid except "we'll notify his parents."

In a "real world" workplace anyone who did the above would be fired from their job and possibly face criminal charges. Not only that, but the company where it happened would face a lawsuit.

I just role my eyes when anyone talks about the "real world" argument in regards to homeschool.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,770,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I home schooled my oldest daughter through 3rd grade. She went to public school for a few months for K then went back to start 4th grade. I am not a fan of public schools. I feel they have lowered the bar and teach to the bottom of the class. When I was in school we were grouped together by our abilities. I may have been in the B(middle) group for K but then moved to the A (smartest) group for 1st grade. Now a teacher will have 10 C kids, 10 B kids and 5 A kids. The teacher will focus mostly on the 10 C kids so they will be able to pass the end of the year test. The B kids will get by and learn a couple of new things and the A kids will be bored to death but who cares because they will pass the test anyway.
I also really do not like the AR level reading the kids must get points for. I wanted my child to love reading, not be so worried about making sure a book was on her level, worth so many points and that the school had the AR test for her to take.
The breakdown for a class is more 5 A students, 10 B students, 5 C students and 5 (or more) special ed kids in a "least restrictive environment" -- who were pulled out on multiple times in the day and lost time in "regular" education ( so, what was the purpose to be there at all?). We wound up teaching to the low B/C students and putting in space in the schedule for the add'l help we needed to "catchup" the pullout kids. regular kids got time to work on their own then. The A kids had to often fend for themselves. I taught almost 30 years. My highest class was about 40, not 25. [ I had a full class of 10 Sp. Ed. in with my 27 "regular kids". --[they were pulled out constantly , all day long, different times. I am not kidding [urban district]. Retired now, I think if my own kids had been in the district I taught in -- full of kids from Sp. Ed. who were mainstreamed and constantly pulled out -- I might have considered staying home and homeschooling. It is very disruptive and you really can't teach to the top and expect the kids at the lower end to succeed and it has become "all about the test".

This is not a rant on Sp. Ed. kids; They are still mostly great kids, but I am not sure "least restrictive environment" is a great deal for your average everyday garden variety student who is trying to get the most from school.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,169,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My kids are in their 20's and 30's now, so maybe things are different in schools today. We made sure to live in places where the schools were good, and the other children came from homes in which we had shared values, so I would not have ever homeschooled them.
However, if I had a child in a system that was dangerous or unwholesome or not teaching to a high enough standard, then I would see no other choice but to teach at home. I love the idea of the world being his classroom and being able to gear our learning day to the child, not force him to sit in a classroom all day.
This being said....I really liked to see the kids get on that bus, so I could have peace and time to myself during the day. Don't you homeschool mothers get a bit too much togetherness???
One more thing I just thought of. When I was a Docent at a museum, we would all hide when homeschooled groups came. They were always much worse behaved than classroom children.
Honestly, when my kids were in public school I was very happy to have my quiet days. But when we homeschooled fulltime I really didn't miss having them. I have found that the more time my kids spend at school the louder and generally more irritating they can be. Not sure what that means, as it doesn't seem to correspond with any other quantities of being out of the house for sustained periods. I think it's probably that,. while in school, they generally are expected to be so still and so quiet it backwashes once they get home.
In general, back when my kids would go on field trips with school classes, the docents would hide from my youngest because she was Miss Uber Geek. At least when we go as a family group she doesn't try to engage the elderly volunteers in an exhaustive discussion of the mass extinction of Floridian megafauna after the last Ice Age...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education