Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:21 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,273 times

Advertisements

The school is legally responsible to fund everything it offers. This is not an extra. It is a 6th period class that the teacher/coach gets paid for with a class section and an athletic stipend. The school district could elimiante 1 administrative job and free up $120,000 in the Huntington Beach Union High School District. The schools are not broke; don't buy into that union propaganda. Their are 5 school administrators at each school site. Their are countless district office adminitrators who never teach or see a student making $120,000 minimun. The superientendant gets $265,000 plus a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The school is legally responsible to fund everything it offers. This is not an extra. It is a 6th period class that the teacher/coach gets paid for with a class section and an athletic stipend. The school district could elimiante 1 administrative job and free up $120,000 in the Huntington Beach Union High School District. The schools are not broke; don't buy into that union propaganda. Their are 5 school administrators at each school site. Their are countless district office adminitrators who never teach or see a student making $120,000 minimun. The superientendant gets $265,000 plus a car.
Yep.

I want to a very low income high school. Who played sports? Usually, it was the kids who were trying to have a safe place to be after school. They had nowhere else to go. They lived in gang infested areas, and that was all they had.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,253 times
You have to be kidding me re: sports. CA is in serious financial trouble, in fact possibly the state with the worst financial deficit in the nation. The UC's have nearly double their tuition in a decade and the CAL STATE system may be in worse shape. And parents are paying any amount of money for athletics when the cost of a public uni in CA is beyond the reach of all except the most financially secure tells me that they have no sense of what is valuable.

With all of this, I can't believe that parents/students/administrators would STILL be attempting to maintain hs athletics at anywhere the levels that existed prior to this collapse. Just the insurance/transportation costs alone are a severe burden, and have any of you seen what it costs to light up even the smallest football field during a conference game, because after all, if you've got a football team, they have to play at night.

Somehow a lot of folks seemed to have missed the memo that it aint morning in America anymore. If you are wondering, as most high school students and their parents, how they're going to pay for college if they plan to go, and still come up with fees to play meaningless games, then maybe you should reconsider what public education has done for you.....

Last edited by loloroj; 09-07-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
MY child was also charged for a cheer uniform. I dont have a problem paying for the uniform. But now the school wants to keep the uniform after i spent $400 for it. We will contact the ACLU for this. Now i not only have to pay for the uniform but now the school wants to keep it. Not right

Last edited by Cheerdad209; 07-09-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
Whoa, I didn't know a thing about this until my son just tried to do a fundraiser at school for a club and was told he would have to call it a donation. There goes the scholarship money he was going to raise for a college bound senior. And on top of this we were charged $100 last fall to be on the tennis team. What the heck?!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
By the way, California has a 4 billion dollar surplus this year.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Hopefully, it will be spent on legal American citizens but I have my doubts.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 592 times
I understand the majority of the comments on here but this law WAS NOT made to cause a hardship on the schools because it doesn't. The school receives NO money from a child for a sport or club, the boosters do. When a child can't afford to participate it is the boosters that cover the cost, not the school (know this does not, however, address ASB and camp which does go to the school) it was actually made to stop sports from exclude kids who were not financially able to pay to be able to play. In reality some of these sports, clubs, or groups can charge in excess of 4000.00 in my district alone. Basically because a family struggles to put food on the table their child should not be allowed to participate?

Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,139 times
School is for education.
Everything else is gravy.
Parents should be funding extracurricular activities, period.
If parents cannot afford those costs, either the kids don't participate, or they can ask the booster clubs for financial assistance.
The notion that the schools (taxpayers) should pay for everything is preposterous. It's ridiculous. It's a racket.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
School is for education.
Everything else is gravy.
Parents should be funding extracurricular activities, period.
If parents cannot afford those costs, either the kids don't participate, or they can ask the booster clubs for financial assistance.
The notion that the schools (taxpayers) should pay for everything is preposterous. It's ridiculous. It's a racket.
https://www.pennlive.com/patriotnews...in_europe.html

In Europe, England is one of the few countries that offers sports as part of the extracurricular activities available to students in the school system.

Youth sports in Europe exists mostly in the form of independent clubs that serve the entire community.

There are downsides to that system as well though.

Athletic scholarships are virtually unheard of, and young athletes try to attract the attention of professional sports clubs, not universities.

Young athletes in their early teens sign contracts with these clubs and pledge their services to one club exclusively in exchange for a stipend and boarding. The club is also bound to provide some sort of education to the young athlete, possibly through an agreement with a vocation or high school.

The players who don't make it to the professional side at the end of the two years often go back to school, or try to pick up a trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education