U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,644 times

Advertisements

The state of California was recently sued by the ACLU. The school districts lost. Schools CANNOT charge fees for any sport, any transportation fee, or any ASB card. The schools must provide all uniforms and safety equipment for all sports and cheerleaders. The schools cannot make your kid buy any special books or computers. It is illegal for them to do so. It has always been illegal for school districts to do so. They just turned their heads and allowed coaches, booster clubs, administrators and teachers to tell the kids and parents to buy uniforms,equipment, laptops, books, and all kinds of stuff. You need to supply your kid with a notebook, a pencil, and a pen. The school districts have diverted this money they were supposed to spend on athletics and the classroom to pet projects and salaries.

The school districts will ask for donations, but you as a parent do not have to donate a dime to them. A great deal of money "earned" by booster clubs goes to pay for assistant coaches and/or traveling to tournaments. The school needs to pick up this tab now. School districts like Santa Ana Unified always funded their sports, clubs, supplies for the kids. On the other hand, Huntington Beach Union High School District let the booster clubs and coaches charge a fee. If your the parent did not pay, work bingo, or sell advertisements it was always understood their child would not play. The schools charged a transportation fee (app$50-75%) and made all athletes pay for an ASB card ($100) also.

Many coaches have their athletes pay up to $100 to participate in a summer camp. Some coaches also have their athletes join their travel ball teams and pay these coaches that are on staff at the high school $200-$300 per month for the off season teams. One high school in Huntington Beach is well known for having their athletes play on the coaches baseball travel teams. It is also a great way to recruit future athletes for the high school program.

The OC Register just published articles about coaches receiving kickbacks from now defunct Lapes Sporting Goods. The lid is about ready to come off.

Parents the next time any school official asks you to "donate" money for your kid to be on a team, cheerleading, band, or any classroom activity, you do not have to pay a dime. If the school offers the program or requires certain equipment, the school must supply it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM

11,635 posts, read 20,340,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The state of California was recently sued by the ACLU. The school districts lost. Schools CANNOT charge fees for any sport, any transportation fee, or any ASB card. The schools must provide all uniforms and safety equipment for all sports and cheerleaders. The schools cannot make your kid buy any special books or computers. It is illegal for them to do so. It has always been illegal for school districts to do so. They just turned their heads and allowed coaches, booster clubs, administrators and teachers to tell the kids and parents to buy uniforms,equipment, laptops, books, and all kinds of stuff. You need to supply your kid with a notebook, a pencil, and a pen. The school districts have diverted this money they were supposed to spend on athletics and the classroom to pet projects and salaries.

The school districts will ask for donations, but you as a parent do not have to donate a dime to them. A great deal of money "earned" by booster clubs goes to pay for assistant coaches and/or traveling to tournaments. The school needs to pick up this tab now. School districts like Santa Ana Unified always funded their sports, clubs, supplies for the kids. On the other hand, Huntington Beach Union High School District let the booster clubs and coaches charge a fee. If your the parent did not pay, work bingo, or sell advertisements it was always understood their child would not play. The schools charged a transportation fee (app$50-75%) and made all athletes pay for an ASB card ($100) also.

Many coaches have their athletes pay up to $100 to participate in a summer camp. Some coaches also have their athletes join their travel ball teams and pay these coaches that are on staff at the high school $200-$300 per month for the off season teams. One high school in Huntington Beach is well known for having their athletes play on the coaches baseball travel teams. It is also a great way to recruit future athletes for the high school program.

The OC Register just published articles about coaches receiving kickbacks from now defunct Lapes Sporting Goods. The lid is about ready to come off.

Parents the next time any school official asks you to "donate" money for your kid to be on a team, cheerleading, band, or any classroom activity, you do not have to pay a dime. If the school offers the program or requires certain equipment, the school must supply it.
Well what do you think is going to happen now? If the money that parents were paying is being taken out of the budget do you think that schools will just magically replace it? There is no appetite for tax increases anywhere in the country.

Athletic teams need funding beyond what school districts provide. IMO it is appropriate for parents and booster clubs to be the ones making up the difference. If the difference is not made up by someone the kids will suffer. I am glad that where I live parents and booster clubs are allowed to supplement the money received by school districts.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,309,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well what do you think is going to happen now? If the money that parents were paying is being taken out of the budget do you think that schools will just magically replace it? There is no appetite for tax increases anywhere in the country.

Athletic teams need funding beyond what school districts provide. IMO it is appropriate for parents and booster clubs to be the ones making up the difference. If the difference is not made up by someone the kids will suffer. I am glad that where I live parents and booster clubs are allowed to supplement the money received by school districts.
I agree (though the fees I'm staring in the face right now will mean a lot of macaroni and cheese dinners chez Aconite this coming month).
I have a choice about drama club, glee club, football or marching band. My child doesn't have to participate. Further, if he or she does choose, they can "buy out" of fees by taking part in fundraisers. If already-strapped school systems have to provide all the minutiae of extracurricular activities, then that's going to seriously decrease the number and variety offered. And if parents think paying fees for school-based basketball are expensive, wait until they have to arrange for Susie to play AAU ball. Holy Nikes, Batgirl! Talk about cost-- and it will just go up if they're the only game in town.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,045,473 times
The mighty ACLU again, fixing all the injustices. I'm sure the schools are diverting all the allocated funds to secret pet projects..... such as.....textbooks and, oh no... salaries??? The nerve!!

Sports are elective, and without charging fees, they will either be cut, or the budget will have to be adjusted to take money out of already cash strapped areas. It will hurt the disadvantaged they were trying to help more than anyone.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,161,483 times
The ALCU always has to stick into every precieved injustice.If the CA schools cannot charge for sports and other activities maybe they should close the schools down.I am sure the ACLU will whine about that too.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM

452 posts, read 1,234,824 times
Lets say I'm a school district. I can't charge for sports or extra curricular activities and parents expect taxpayers to fund their kid being a star athlete on the baseball team. The state budget just slashed millions of dollars from my budget. What should I do??? Fire 200 teachers or close every high school sports program???? hhhhmmmmm....

I think I will close the sports program and slash funding to ASB. Problem solved. Sounds like you don't make the donations and expect everybody else to fund your kids fancy uniform on the sports team, thousand of dollars for bus travel, camp fees, etc... There is also no law saying a sports program is mandatory... so if you don't donate what is the school districts incentive to provide your kid a sports program????

Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM

86,803 posts, read 102,087,947 times
Quote:

Do you have a link for this information? I like to read primary sources.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,160,475 times
Well there goes all the extra curricular activites for our children. Thanks ACLU.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,801,701 times
Quote:
The money for the schools to fund these programs is not going to magically appear. No one wants a tax increase either. The result will be that high income areas will get to keep all these "extras" like sports, cheer and band, while they will disappear from lower income areas and perhaps even some middle level income areas. Quite sad, if you ask me.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,705,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Well there goes all the extra curricular activites for our children. Thanks ACLU.
Yup.You are exactly right. They also can't charge for things like feild trips also. So guess what, they are going away. When my now 2nd grader was in kintergarten his class took 4 field trips and charged like $10/per trip, mostly to cover the bussing. My youngest is starting K this year at the same school and they are having 1 field trip.

Thanks ACLU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education