U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
346 posts, read 440,987 times
Reputation: 506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Hell maybe she wants to meet and get to know your child without being influenced by anything in his IEP.
I like this idea. At the end of third grade my son was sent to the vice-principals office, horrified to be in trouble! My little drama-king proceeded to spout dramatic words of impending doom (he had no grey area, things were either great or horrible) and since the teachers had just had suicide training, he was given a suicide threat evaluation. They called me afterwards to tell me he was depressed! Ha ha ha. Anyway, there is much more to the story but it is off topic for this thread.

I asked the school to please not put it in his folder for his 4th grade teacher. The school wanted to set up this whole team to follow/help him, they wanted to have a counselor speak with him on a regular basis etc. However, he was the type of child that by doing all those things and making them seem so important, it made him feel worse, not better. It was kind of like that theory when a toddler falls down, if Mommy doesn't gasp and say, "oh no" the toddler doesn't even stop to consider if they should be hurt and possibly cry.

First thing his 4th grade teacher read was the suicide threat, and I worried that would close her view of him right from the start.

(as a side note, the evaluation they gave him was entirely age-inappropriate and had very leading questions, practically suggesting he go home and "off" himself. I have never been so furious when the school called me. I am the reason the district finally took that evaluation off the "to do" list and designed two, one for grades K-5, and ones for 6-12.)

 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Reputation: 26107
I agree, often for students assigned to me, I would not read their IEP's until after I met the student, and made my own objective analysis of the child. IEP's can often be filled with "fluff" that is copied and pasted from other IEP's (NO, who would do that?!) So, you don't really know what is going on with the kid.

Now, sometimes, I have IEP's "memorized", especially when three people who work with the kid tell me that the "Mama" is a bear...I was "lucky" enough to often get assigned these cases personally to manage, even if the kid lived on the other side of the valley. Love that...
 
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
872 posts, read 2,599,703 times
Reputation: 487
I teach fourth grade. At our school, we do not receive our tentative rosters until Meet the Teacher Night, which is usually the Thursday or Friday before the school year starts. Our rosters are not official until the first day of school, and even those change often throughout the first two weeks of school as students continue to register (sometimes parents in our area "forget" that school has started). We generally receive any IEPs the first week of school; however, I still do not have records for 6 of my students who transferred within the district and 1 from outside of the district.
 
Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Virginia
8,106 posts, read 12,646,226 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree, often for students assigned to me, I would not read their IEP's until after I met the student, and made my own objective analysis of the child. IEP's can often be filled with "fluff" that is copied and pasted from other IEP's (NO, who would do that?!) So, you don't really know what is going on with the kid.
I understand that we may not get to read the IEPs before the first day of school (I haven't yet), but regardless of whether we think the IEP is accurate or not, it is still a legal document that has to be followed. Even after your objective analysis you think what it contains is fluff, you still have to implement it.
 
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM
 
16,017 posts, read 17,803,127 times
Reputation: 15804
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I understand that we may not get to read the IEPs before the first day of school (I haven't yet), but regardless of whether we think the IEP is accurate or not, it is still a legal document that has to be followed. Even after your objective analysis you think what it contains is fluff, you still have to implement it.
My grandson progressed so much over the summer that all of his goals need to be redone. His teacher has *probably* read the IEP if she got it, but since the goals are ones he has already met, I am not sure it will help her much. We gave her an *all about me* book that we had written and we are working with the resource teacher until we can get things set up for new goals. He has an assistive technology evaluation coming up during this first 6 weeks and that should give us the opportunity to get things up to speed.
 
Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,106 posts, read 12,646,226 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My grandson progressed so much over the summer that all of his goals need to be redone. His teacher has *probably* read the IEP if she got it, but since the goals are ones he has already met, I am not sure it will help her much. We gave her an *all about me* book that we had written and we are working with the resource teacher until we can get things set up for new goals. He has an assistive technology evaluation coming up during this first 6 weeks and that should give us the opportunity to get things up to speed.
Sure. You can reconvene to redo the IEP. Until that is done, or it is renewed when the anniversary date comes up, the old IEP is still in effect. The teacher could get into trouble for not following it.
 
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times
Reputation: 50171
You can always make arrangements to amend or revise an existing IEP. You don't have to wait for the year mark, although it will by law HAVE to be updated at least annually. Some people think that means you can ONLY update them annually, but that's not true. You can also make a case for preparing a new one if you can show that all previous goals and objectives are demonstrably met (or if you feel that the goals as they exist are no longer appropriate for other reasons, and need to be revisited), if you feel the student is prepared to move on. There's no reason to not step up the goals if the student is meeting them sooner than anticipated. You generally don't need and entirely new IEP until you get to the point where most has been met. If a few have been met, the focus should be on meeting the rest while maintaining the mastered stuff...in this case, amendments and revisions are more appropriate than updating as a whole.

If there's documentation that proves that all the previous goals have been met, it's definitely time for a meeting about how to proceed. Of course, while that is being set up and occurring, it is always appropriate to continue to work to maintain the now-learned skills. You don't just chuck them because they're met, you build on them and generalize them into all kinds of different contexts. You don't need a new IEP to run maintenance.

Also keep in mind that most modifications and the like are going to carry over from IEP to IEP, even though the individual goals and objectives that will be programmed will necessarily change.
 
Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM
 
907 posts, read 2,915,152 times
Reputation: 666
Default well, I hope this isn't the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In both schools I have worked in IEPs were not allowed to leave the school grounds. Meaning we had to read them in school during our prep periods. Besides it's three days BEFORE school starts when was she supposed to read it considering many teachers do not get rosters until then.

Hell maybe she wants to meet and get to know your child without being influenced by anything in his IEP.

An IEP is not a suggestion that the teacher can decide whether or not they want to follow it. You know that, right?
 
Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
 
16,567 posts, read 14,008,327 times
Reputation: 20518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
An IEP is not a suggestion that the teacher can decide whether or not they want to follow it. You know that, right?
Did I say they could?

One would think you realize that your child is more than their IEP and many good teachers, myself included, wait until a few days into school to read IEPs.

For the exact reason I stated. I want to get to know students as people first and not as a diagnosis. Research has shown that reading things about students can have a very negative effect on opinions even before meeting them.

All children deserve the chance to get a fresh start with each teacher each new year, and yes they also deserve to have their IEPs implemented. The two are not mutually exclusive, despite your personal issues.

And you also completely ignored the fact that many schools do not allow IEPs off the premises. If that is the case, how is the teacher supposed to read it BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS?
 
Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM
 
907 posts, read 2,915,152 times
Reputation: 666
Default hmmm...

Just seems backwards to not read an iep first. It's as if you assume you don't need to read it as you can use your own judgement on what to do. How do you know that a child's IEP hasn't' been written well with some great input from evals and docs and professionals in XYZ? Why not assume they will make your job easier in how you interact with a student if you read the IEP?

Also, I can't help but think that maybe some teachers are truly dismissive of IEP's and use an "I know better" attitude which is what I kinda sense from you. I could be wrong.

Also, it would seem that not reading the IEP and therefore not implementing the accommodations while the child is in your classroom is a violation of IDEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top