U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,587,340 times
Reputation: 27566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
I'm just on the first page, but I can tell you my personal experience with IEPs, and it can be construed as hostile. We moved OH to FL with the military. We had a really strong IEP in OH, and when we came down here in May, we brought the IEP, we met with the Exception Student Education faculty. We were told in MAY that my son was going to be in a mainstreamed classroom with an aid. Fast forward to SEPTEMBER, the school is still NOT in compliance with the IEP. It has gotten to the point where the principle, the ESE staffers will not return our phone calls. My son is starting to regress, because he NEEDS an aid, and the school put him in a self contained classroom with 7 other significantly delayed children (all ranging from K-2d grade). My husband went TDY, and now that he is gone, they are wanting to change the IEP to take away the aid and place him in the self contained classroom. So yeah, schools do low ball things.
Did they say why no aid ? Due to budget cuts perhaps ?
Things will get worse as less money goes towards education.

 
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,111,929 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did they say why no aid ? Due to budget cuts perhaps ?
Things will get worse as less money goes towards education.
The reasoning was, Florida doesn't "do" aides, unless the parents hire an attorney and sue (I added that last portion, because several parents I know have their child mainstreamed at the same school and they had to take legal action). We are probably going to pull him and place him in private school, his behavior is getting worse without one-on-one attention. What I find utterly ironic is that it costs $30,000 a year to employ an aide and place my son in a mainstreamed classroom. But the school would rather pay the tuition and send him to a private school at the cost of $60K per year...
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,707 posts, read 42,002,004 times
Reputation: 50645
You need to contact an advocate.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,756,951 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not all kids were deemed deserving of the same free and appropriate public education afforded to many...just the ones who didn't represent significant teaching challenges.

Thankfully, that's been legally changed.
I have a Master's degree in education; I know the history as well as how it works currently.

My point was that there are now so many "disorders," "concerns," and "spectrums" that were simply variations in learning, performance, control, etc in the past. Now, everyone needs a label.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,196 posts, read 5,256,048 times
Reputation: 12206
yOU WANT IT...GET OUT THERE AND HELP...SOMEHOW.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 PM
 
553 posts, read 901,015 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I have a Master's degree in education; I know the history as well as how it works currently.

My point was that there are now so many "disorders," "concerns," and "spectrums" that were simply variations in learning, performance, control, etc in the past. Now, everyone needs a label.
It is a pity that Teachers simply have no time to teaching. Instead, they have to spend time studying all the special needs of their students. And as a result nobody is just learning anything.
If society wants to provide some special teaching to everyone, then they would have to provide some special jobs to everyone.
What kind of job one can have it one has ADD? If you have an ADD you have to learn to live with that and adapt. If you cannot adapt, what is the point to trying to get to college?
 
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 AM
 
572 posts, read 1,111,929 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
It is a pity that Teachers simply have no time to teaching. Instead, they have to spend time studying all the special needs of their students. And as a result nobody is just learning anything.
If society wants to provide some special teaching to everyone, then they would have to provide some special jobs to everyone.
What kind of job one can have it one has ADD? If you have an ADD you have to learn to live with that and adapt. If you cannot adapt, what is the point to trying to get to college?
FTR, I have ADD, I am a college graduate, I had no special adaptations. My son has pretty significant autism. These laws protect his right to an education. Even though his disability is significant-- HE IS STILL IN THERE. He is just so socially behind that he is incapable of showing that he is in there. It makes me angry hearing comments like the last few above comments, because of that attitude I have to fight tooth and nail for an adequate education-- one that will get him to function in the world without being dependent on the government for the rest of his life. Even though this is not the intent of the posters, stating that there are so many spectrums, disorders, etc, and that they are over-diagnosed actually hurts the children who really need help, because where do you draw the line at who needs help and who doesn't?

FWIW, even though I had no adaptations, it doesn't mean I didn't struggle. Two of the most significant symptoms for me were: 1. lack of concentration and 2. hyper focus. My concentration was so horrible that I could be sitting in a meeting at work, and I would lose what was said in that meeting. Even if I took notes, I could not comprehend them. While I have been able to cope, and function in society, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that with this condition I didn't perform well. It would have been nice to have additional help, like a class that would have helped me cope.

Be careful of what you wish for.
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 AM
 
2,596 posts, read 4,836,707 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
The reasoning was, Florida doesn't "do" aides, unless the parents hire an attorney and sue (I added that last portion, because several parents I know have their child mainstreamed at the same school and they had to take legal action). We are probably going to pull him and place him in private school, his behavior is getting worse without one-on-one attention. What I find utterly ironic is that it costs $30,000 a year to employ an aide and place my son in a mainstreamed classroom. But the school would rather pay the tuition and send him to a private school at the cost of $60K per year...
I feel for you. I also feel for the difficulty of the system since it's inconsistent state to state. It's unfortunate that they can prescribe one thing in Ohio (where better funding may be available to the schools and a different system may be in place) and have it be required in Florida (where, like you're discovering, sufficient funding may not be available or a different system may be in place at that school because they serve a different student population.) I agree that it's unfortunate for your son that you've moved to a "low services" state, but it seems states reflect the general mindset of their populations and have varying ways of providing an education. Maybe it would be better if it was standardized. Maybe we would make a bigger mess of that. Hard to say.

I've known other schools that wanted to do the outsourcing option. They knew they couldn't adequately provide what that student needed on campus (I've seen this happen more at smaller schools) and considered it better for everyone to send them somewhere they had resources available.
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 AM
 
572 posts, read 1,111,929 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I feel for you. I also feel for the difficulty of the system since it's inconsistent state to state. It's unfortunate that they can prescribe one thing in Ohio (where better funding may be available to the schools and a different system may be in place) and have it be required in Florida (where, like you're discovering, sufficient funding may not be available or a different system may be in place at that school because they serve a different student population.) I agree that it's unfortunate for your son that you've moved to a "low services" state, but it seems states reflect the general mindset of their populations and have varying ways of providing an education. Maybe it would be better if it was standardized. Maybe we would make a bigger mess of that. Hard to say.

I've known other schools that wanted to do the outsourcing option. They knew they couldn't adequately provide what that student needed on campus (I've seen this happen more at smaller schools) and considered it better for everyone to send them somewhere they had resources available.
The thing is if FL could not, or does not want to fund the same educational resources as any other state that signed the compact, than they should not have signed the compact. Same with the military sending people with special needs children to various states. With autism, education is the number one resource, in order to pass the standards for EFMP, the education system has to sign paperwork stating that it can accept a child with autism. Too bad it seems that the states eyes are bigger than their hearts when it comes to money (military families with special needs children bring a LOT of federal resources). My son had to be approved to come here by the district before the military would have sent us here. If the district was incapable of following an IEP as written, then they should not have approved for us to come here.
 
Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 AM
 
2,596 posts, read 4,836,707 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
The thing is if FL could not, or does not want to fund the same educational resources as any other state that signed the compact, than they should not have signed the compact. Same with the military sending people with special needs children to various states. With autism, education is the number one resource, in order to pass the standards for EFMP, the education system has to sign paperwork stating that it can accept a child with autism. Too bad it seems that the states eyes are bigger than their hearts when it comes to money (military families with special needs children bring a LOT of federal resources).
Interesting. Do you know offhand when the compact was signed? Much has changed in education funding just in the last 2-3 years. It may have been a much more workable situation at another point in time.

I don't think it's so much about greed and small hearts, as wanting control over one's own spending rather than as much government control on what their money is spent on. In a high services state, you generally have much higher taxes. Not saying one way is better than the other, but it is important to choose a state that fits in with your particular mindset.

Any chance your husband could talk to his commander and be transferred to another state that offers better services? Maybe do more research this time and really try to find a place that would be a good fit for your son. Some states are rich in state of the art autism services. Others are very lacking and offer only the bare minimum. There are many things in our country that could certainly be improved. But for your son, time is critical. This problem truly has little to do with this particular school and more to do with systemic issues in funding that neither you or the school have much control over.

Last edited by h886; 09-24-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top