Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM

737 posts, read 1,145,681 times

Advertisements

Most schools in my area have orientation for the parents a week before school starts. They meet the teacher, learn the rules(treats for all or none, invitations for all or none), get a supply list, etc.

Most schools want children to ride the bus the first few days. The drivers have to know where to stop. Their routes do not have house numbers.

I don't know when it started that parents thought they should be at school for the first day. Maybe with the invention of video cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM

275 posts, read 771,902 times
We did go to his orientation but it was in a different school so I did not get to see his classroom, bathroom etc...I didn't want to be there to record his first day, I wanted to be there because I am worried about English being his second language and he never attended a pre-school. He couldn't go to bathroom yesterday because he said he raised his hand but teacher wouldn't let him speak, so he held it until he came home. That is unacceptable to me and if it happens again I will have a word with her. Maybe she has some rules about bathrooms that my son didn't understand. I think in some cases, parents have no choice but to be there. Even during the orientation, there were kids clinging to their parents and refused getting on a practice bus ride. Some kids are just more clingy than others.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,422,930 times
ladyvictoria, I found that a quick e-mail to the teacher about concerns like yours will likely solve the problem. I'm wondering if she has some bathroom rules/break times that your son may not have paid attention to. It's probably a bit overwhelming for all the students on their first day.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
We did go to his orientation but it was in a different school so I did not get to see his classroom, bathroom etc...I didn't want to be there to record his first day, I wanted to be there because I am worried about English being his second language and he never attended a pre-school. He couldn't go to bathroom yesterday because he said he raised his hand but teacher wouldn't let him speak, so he held it until he came home. That is unacceptable to me and if it happens again I will have a word with her. Maybe she has some rules about bathrooms that my son didn't understand. I think in some cases, parents have no choice but to be there. Even during the orientation, there were kids clinging to their parents and refused getting on a practice bus ride. Some kids are just more clingy than others.
He may have misunderstood something. In our schools kindergarten classes all had their own bathroom right off the room, so most K teachers let the kids go any time they need to go. In the older grades, teachers often have regular bathroom breaks when the kids are going to be in the hall anyway (going out to recess, going to and from lunch or PE, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education