U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 PM

275 posts, read 647,801 times

Advertisements

My son is starting school next week and I think I have more anxiety about it than he does Would it be ok for me to go to school after putting him on the school bus? I didn't get a chance to see his class or other students in his class. He didn't attend pre-school and English is his second language. He is also an only child so I am little worried about him but trying not to be one of those overly protective mothers. He is very social and very excited about starting school and I don't want to transfer my anxiety to him. I keep telling myself to leave him be and that he will be fine. But aside from my feelings, will some parents be present for the first day? Is that an accepted practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM

11,616 posts, read 19,764,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
My son is starting school next week and I think I have more anxiety about it than he does Would it be ok for me to go to school after putting him on the school bus? I didn't get a chance to see his class or other students in his class. He didn't attend pre-school and English is his second language. He is also an only child so I am little worried about him but trying not to be one of those overly protective mothers. He is very social and very excited about starting school and I don't want to transfer my anxiety to him. I keep telling myself to leave him be and that he will be fine. But aside from my feelings, will some parents be present for the first day? Is that an accepted practice?
Not appropriate. Stay home and let him grow up.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM

907 posts, read 1,316,944 times
No you shouldn't go with him. The child needs to learn how to adjust to his classroom, classmates and teacher. Having a parent in thes a room creates a distraction for your child and does not allow him to begin to feel comfortable in their new enviornment. I think you should follow your instincts and let him go to school, he sounds like he's ready and he will likely pick up on your anxiety if you go with him ( and probably show it! lol) There will probably be parents there but the best thing for your son would be to not go with him.

If you want you may try to write a letter or shoot an email to the the teacher asking about parent volunteers or sitting in on a lesson, although from my experience It's usually discouraged during the first few weeks of school, in order to let the children transition.

My mom wrote this, she taught kindergarten for 6 years and Pre-K for 3 years

Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM

10,098 posts, read 10,644,114 times
No. School is for kids. This is the first of many steps out of your home, and your job is to make sure they're ready.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I will control myself I know, rationally, I should let him go and experience this on his own. It is just, I came to US when I was young and I remember how lost and scared I was at school. I think that's part of my anxiety. Of course, he is lot younger than I was but I know kids could be cruel when they perceive you to be different. I am hoping his friendly personality will overcome that.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 PM

907 posts, read 1,316,944 times
If you don't mind me asking what's his first language? If it's something other than spanish children might find it very interesting if that makes you feel better, also if he is going to get ESL he'll make friends there too! Kindergarteners make friends over crayons lol! Hope all goes well

Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 PM

He speaks Turkish. He was given an ESL test by the school and his score was high enough that he won't need any extra lessons. I thought him basic conversational English, alphabet, colors, shapes and numbers at home. He may have some problem understanding detailed instructions given in the class.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,651,490 times
I would let him do this on his own. It's only natural for you to be a little apprehensive about this, but I think you're spot on that you would likely transfer your anxieties to him by giving the impression that going to school is some horrible scary thing where you fear for his safety and therefore must follow along.

Allowing him to do this on his own will help him foster independence and reinforce that going to school is a pleasant, positive experience. He will see that you have every confidence he can handle this.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 PM

12,939 posts, read 19,860,988 times
None of the schools my children attended let parents stay. I wasn't intending to anyway, but when some parents were slow to leave the principal very firmly told them goodbye, and closed the door.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM

15,320 posts, read 16,901,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
At our schools, parents cannot come into the classroom during the first week (maybe even the first two weeks). The first week is an adjustment period for the kids and the teacher needs to get to know the students and see which ones will need extra help adjusting.

We had a meet the teacher night in the evening the second week of school. Does your school have this? That is the time to meet the teacher and see the classroom if you did not have a chance before school started. Our schools also allow time during registration for parents to go see the classrooms and teachers. This year I met one of the two teachers because one of them had gotten ill that morning and gone home, so we saw the classroom, but did not get to meet her until the meet the teacher night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education