U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,738,575 times

Advertisements

Second semester he has an English class. But that is it. Other than that it's all computer classes and a P.E. class which he doesn't even need. (He already has the P.E. credit and he plays sports after school and rides his bike to/from school so it's not like he needs the extra exercise...)

We just filled out an application for a partial scholarship to a private school that has a very good reputation in our area. (It's actually right up the street from where we live.) Our income is too high for a full scholarship but the admissions person said it couldn't hurt to try for a partial one. Tuition for this private school is 8,700 per year. (The state of Oregon spends about the same amount per student annually...) But - they have 7 classes a day and they take the core classes each year every year. They also don't have early release days (our current public schools system has them once a week), late start days (once or twice a month), teacher furlough days (they keep changing but last I checked it was 8 a year), etc...

What a concept, huh?

I'm off to apply for a job at Starbuck's - to pay for my kid's high school tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM

12,457 posts, read 27,113,720 times
That's strange hhelf! Is he a freshman? It just doesn't seem right that he would only have two core classes for an entire year. Our kids do have to have gym for all four years, no matter what, but in a block schedule, I would think that would be just a day a week, like on day A or something. What are the graduation requirements as far as core classes go?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,855,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Yes - a block schedule is what they call it. I'm from Texas where we had 7 classes a day. I don't remember how long each class was but it was something like 50 minutes or less. This block schedule - 4 classes a day for 83 minutes each - feels really weird to me. Most of the students we've spoken to complain that they get totally bored and the teachers let them bring their phones and laptops so they have something to do at the end of the class - texting, facebook, whatever. What a waste of the kids time - and taxpayer money!

Also - where you lined up to change your schedule or speak to someone regarding your schedule, there was a huge list of all the classes currently offered with the number of students enrolled in each class. When the class was full, they listed the number of students wanting that class but who had to wait until there was an opening. So, let's say they couldn't have more than 33 students in a class and the class was full. So it would say "Period 2 Language Arts (teacher name) - 33 - 6" or something to that effect. They fired 8 teachers this year, is the reasoning for not having 4th period classes available.

I just can't believe this is real. I feel like I'm going to wake up in a minute and realize it's all been one of those really frustrating dreams where nothing is what it should be and nobody listens to you.
We are from Texas also, and 6-7 classes a day was normal for my kids. We moved to Oklahoma while they were in high school, and it was done the same way here. I believe there was some talk about going to block scheduling, but it never happened.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,160,580 times
Quote:
Yes - a block schedule is what they call it. I'm from Texas where we had 7 classes a day. I don't remember how long each class was but it was something like 50 minutes or less. This block schedule - 4 classes a day for 83 minutes each - feels really weird to me. Most of the students we've spoken to complain that they get totally bored and the teachers let them bring their phones and laptops so they have something to do at the end of the class - texting, facebook, whatever. What a waste of the kids time - and taxpayer money!

Also - where you lined up to change your schedule or speak to someone regarding your schedule, there was a huge list of all the classes currently offered with the number of students enrolled in each class. When the class was full, they listed the number of students wanting that class but who had to wait until there was an opening. So, let's say they couldn't have more than 33 students in a class and the class was full. So it would say "Period 2 Language Arts (teacher name) - 33 - 6" or something to that effect. They fired 8 teachers this year, is the reasoning for not having 4th period classes available.

I just can't believe this is real. I feel like I'm going to wake up in a minute and realize it's all been one of those really frustrating dreams where nothing is what it should be and nobody listens to you.
I don't think you've mentioned yet what grade your son is in?

Block scheduling is usually VERY effective at covering more material and preparing kids for college.

But most freshman and sophmores don't get anything interesting to take because they have too many basic core classes to complete for graduation requirements. Your son must be a junior or senior?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,130,218 times
This is completely alien to me. The middle schools (aka junior high) and the high school in the school district I went to from K-12 here on Long Island (and I would imagine most other Long Island school districts had a similar system) had a day composed of 9 'periods' (including a lunch period and at least 1 study hall period) each of 40 minutes plus a 5 minute break between each period. There was also a 20 minute 'homeroom' before the 1st period. High school went from 7:20am till 2:10pm as of my graduation in 2006. The week was divided into 'blue days' and 'gold days' (based on the school colors) and while core classes could be on both days an elective might only be on certain days. Electives also changed every semester though core classes remained the same. For example, in the 2nd semester of my senior year I had gym during 3rd period on gold days and on blue days I had study hall. Seniors were normally granted 'early release' for 8th and 9th periods.

I though that was complicated ... until I discovered the 'block system' in this thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

...the high school in the school district I went to from K-12 here on Long Island (and I would imagine most other Long Island school districts had a similar system) had a day composed of 9 'periods' (including a lunch period and at least 1 study hall period) each of 40 minutes plus a 5 minute break between each period.

Yes, this is the old model that dates back a few generations...more progressive schools no longer follow it.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM

32,173 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Quote:
The high school in our area has two semesters, four terms.

The kids have four class periods a day - each class period is 83 minutes long.

So their schedule for one term looks like this:

First Period - 83 minutes
Second Period - 83 minutes
Lunch - 40 minutes (off-campus)
Third Period - 83 minutes
Fourth Period - 83 minutes

My question is - are other high schools following schedules such as this, and if so - is it impossible to get a fourth period for your student? Our students are only scheduled three classes - first, second, and third periods. To get a fourth period, we are told by the counselor that parents must "fight" for a fourth period (the exact word she used) and this year we've been told "there aren't enough teachers for kids to have fourth period classes".

Really? Is this normal? Legal? For real?

Typical Block Schedule as stated by GolfGal. The off campus lunch threw me a bit. We had lunch during 3rd period with 3 sections of lunch, each 40 minutes long. We're on a 5 period block this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Where do you live that this is ok?? I find this hard to believe.

The schedule you are describing is called a block schedule. It isn't "normal" or "abnormal" just a different way of running a scheduled. I personally am not a a fan of block schedules but other people like them.
Not a fan either, nor are most other teachers or students. Administraors like it because they have fewer class changes and can spend more time playing Solitaire in their offices.

Back to the question. What state are you in? Most states have a minimum seat time for class in hours and sometimes minutes. For a school, or school system, to have a class period unscheduled and basically telling the kids "you're on your own" and to fight for a class is really unheard of. You either have a school that's mismanaged or a ****ty scheduler and a Principal that's letting it go.

Is this systemic (you'd have to have more than 1 HS) or limited to this particular school? You need to find out.

As an aside, open lunch and a free unsupervised period is almost unheard of anymore. Too many chances of bad things happening.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,508,213 times
OP, I don't blame you for looking at another school. I would be very concerned with such low expectations, it would be hard to get into some colleges due to requirements.

Here English is required all four years, Social Studies, Math and Science three.

We have block scheduling here. But there is a Day 1 and a Day 2. So DS has a possibility of 8 classes a semester - although only have to take 6 in the Junior and Senior years. Each of his classes are around 80 minutes each I'm guessing. He has time releases last block on both days, so he gets home around 12:30.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,508,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As an aside, open lunch and a free unsupervised period is almost unheard of anymore. Too many chances of bad things happening.
Not here. To leave campus you just have to sign permission at the beginning of the year.

The time releases here require students to leave campus unless they get permission to stay. My son this year has all his time releases at the end of the day so it works out good for him. Last year he didn't. He would just come.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
OP, I don't blame you for looking at another school. I would be very concerned with such low expectations, it would be hard to get into some colleges due to requirements.

Here English is required all four years, Social Studies, Math and Science three.

We have block scheduling here. But there is a Day 1 and a Day 2. So DS has a possibility of 8 classes a semester - although only have to take 6 in the Junior and Senior years. Each of his classes are around 80 minutes each I'm guessing. He has time releases last block on both days, so he gets home around 12:30.

That's what I was hoping she would confirm too - every state has graduation requirements that must be met in order to graduate.

Surely her state wouldn't let a kid graduate without the core basics???? I'm thinking he's older and has already fulfilled those requirements, or at least most of them and still has time to get the others in his upcoming blocks

And maybe she doesn't realize he has a day 1 and day 2 meaning he'd have 6 to 8 different classes in a week?
(My son's school had/has "A" and "B" days. One week A days were MWF and B's were T/Th, the next week it was opposite).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or