U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,645,332 times

Advertisements

That's ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with block scheduling. It has its pros and cons, as does the traditional 7-8 period model where you have every class every day. However for your son to not be allowed to sign up for a class at all because they are "full" is patently ridiculous. I would first write the principal. If you get no results (as in, he isn't immediately put into a core class 4th period), I would go to the school board. If no results, go to the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,506,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
(My son's school had/has "A" and "B" days. One week A days were MWF and B's were T/Th, the next week it was opposite).
That's here as well - each week isn't the same. It confuses me, but DS has been doing it for so long and is so used to it, he's never gotten confused!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,736,175 times
Quote:
I don't think you've mentioned yet what grade your son is in?

Block scheduling is usually VERY effective at covering more material and preparing kids for college.

But most freshman and sophmores don't get anything interesting to take because they have too many basic core classes to complete for graduation requirements. Your son must be a junior or senior?
He's in 10th grade.

Last year he also had block classes at the same school but he was in a different program. With his other program (International High School or IHS) they had Alpha and Omega classes. Week one they would have Alpha classes M/W/F and Omega classes T/Th. The next week they would have Alpha classes T/Th and their Omega classes M/W/F. It was very confusing, but he was able to get in 6 classes plus a study hall instead of four.

This year he opted not to do the IHS program, and instead just do the regular comprehensive high school program. We were hoping that he would get at least two core classes, and then have two electives. But we never thought he'd have 1 core, two electives, and no fourth at all. And then when I saw his schedule for the whole year - I just couldn't believe it. And I've been talking with other families we know in the school and they are facing the same thing.

He dropped the IHS program because it wasn't what they made it out to be. He thought they would be studying global issues and doing a lot of reading and discussing about world events. It turned out to be a lot of "hippie stuff" he called it, with a lot of the reading they did involving why it's better for the environment to be vegan and why it's bad to kill animals and why American's are so selfish and shallow... it was depressing. It was just a very liberal-leaning (they called it "progressive"), which you know... fine outside the classroom but it didn't seem appropriate. He got bored really fast.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
That's what I was hoping she would confirm too - every state has graduation requirements that must be met in order to graduate.

Surely her state wouldn't let a kid graduate without the core basics???? I'm thinking he's older and has already fulfilled those requirements, or at least most of them and still has time to get the others in his upcoming blocks

And maybe she doesn't realize he has a day 1 and day 2 meaning he'd have 6 to 8 different classes in a week?
(My son's school had/has "A" and "B" days. One week A days were MWF and B's were T/Th, the next week it was opposite).
Oregon does have graduation requirements but the really confusing thing is that they change every year.

There have been news stories recently about students unable to receive their diploma's due to not having fulfilled all the requirements, because the requirements were different at the time of graduation than they were when they began high school... and evidently their parents didn't stay on top of it (because you absolutely cannot rely on these schools... as I'm finding out!!! Ugh.)

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,145,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Oregon does have graduation requirements but the really confusing thing is that they change every year.

There have been news stories recently about students unable to receive their diploma's due to not having fulfilled all the requirements, because the requirements were different at the time of graduation than they were when they began high school... and evidently their parents didn't stay on top of it (because you absolutely cannot rely on these schools... as I'm finding out!!! Ugh.)
hmmmm...Oregon, kind of figures.

I just don't understand how this isn't at least basic to all graduation requirements in every state in this country:

English 4 credits (or years)
Math 4 credits
Social Studies 3 credits
Science 3 credits

Are you telling us that in Oregon you can graduate with less than this?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Here, when the requirements changed, they only effected that freshmen class. When we would get the new handbook, there would be the requirements for class of 2010, 2011, etc. Now everyone is the same and all must meet the new requirements. Also, when my son goes in to get a class changed for whatever reason, the counselor won't do it until they look to see if requirements are being met.

The other thing to make sure he doing is not just meeting graduation requirements, but if he has a few colleges in mind, go look at their admission requirements. For example, where my son wants to go, 3 years of foreign language are required.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As an aside, open lunch and a free unsupervised period is almost unheard of anymore. Too many chances of bad things happening.
I was actually shocked last year - his freshman year - when I learned he was actually going off campus during his study hall (they call it projects period) and lunch. I had no idea. He's our guinea pig - our first kid in high school - so I am just almost daily surprised by something I learn about this high school.

At one point I asked his counselor if I could request that he stay on campus and report to his assigned teacher and classroom for that period - not that I really wanted or needed to, because we're lucky and he is a good kid - but I wanted to know if the school had that ability, or would take on that responsibility. She referred me to someone else, who dodged the question, I asked the principal, who said they'd never had a problem with it but wouldn't answer me directly.

I will never know who is supposed to be responsible for my child during off campus lunch or study hall/projects periods when he chooses to leave campus. I suppose I am, but if it has a classroom number, and teachers name on the schedule (for projects period there was always a classroom number and teachers name) - I will always assume that he is in school, in that class, under the supervision of that teacher. Wouldn't you?

Also, last year there were a few testing days when the teachers requested that students with last names starting with A-M show up one day and N-Z show up the next, basically dismissing the students for one day - without notifying parents.

If we are not approved for the partial scholarship I don't know what I'm going to do. Homeschool using K12 perhaps? Even with the partial scholarship this private school we'd love to have our boys at costs $688/month.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM

haggardhouseelf - can you enroll him in another high school? Is this issue only with that particular school or is district wide?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
hmmmm...Oregon, kind of figures.

I just don't understand how this isn't at least basic to all graduation requirements in every state in this country:

English 4 credits (or years)
Math 4 credits
Social Studies 3 credits
Science 3 credits

Are you telling us that in Oregon you can graduate with less than this?
Currently in Oregon for his class (graduating 2014) you need:
4 credits Language Arts
3 credits "Applied Arts, Fine Arts, World Language" (weird, huh?)
3 credits math at Algebra level or above
3 credits science
1 credit PE
1 credit health
6 credits "other"

But if you can't get those classes because there aren't enough teachers, I don't know how this is supposed to work. I am not paying for summer school when it's the school failing my child.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM

11,615 posts, read 19,743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As an aside, open lunch and a free unsupervised period is almost unheard of anymore. Too many chances of bad things happening.
My kids are in a top private school in FL and they are allowed an independent period in high school, but not in junior high. Parents can choose to allow seniors to leave campus during lunch and/or their independent period.

None of the public schools around here allow an independent period or allow any students to leave for lunch. But the private schools do.

I hate block schedules. On paper it looks like kids get the same amount of instructional time per course, but in reality kids can't pay attention for 80-90 minutes so they wind up getting less instruction than they would in a less "progressive" school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or