U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM

21,200 posts, read 15,375,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have no idea if anyone has complained or not. It's just so frustrating because no one seems to think there is a problem. It's like everyone is taking happy pills and is totally in denial. Aside from the parents and students of course.

This school has a reputation as having an inflated ego. We have the best football team in the area. We were rated as the number two school in our state academically (I don't believe this...). So when you try to talk to people about the problems, it's like, "You're crazy. You don't know what you're talking about. This is an excellent school! YAY Football! Go team!"
Unfortunately it does seem that for some schools, if the football team is successful, they are sure they are doing everything (else) right.
But that's a whole 'nother thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,625,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have no idea if anyone has complained or not. It's just so frustrating because no one seems to think there is a problem. It's like everyone is taking happy pills and is totally in denial. Aside from the parents and students of course.

This school has a reputation as having an inflated ego. We have the best football team in the area. We were rated as the number two school in our state academically (I don't believe this...). So when you try to talk to people about the problems, it's like, "You're crazy. You don't know what you're talking about. This is an excellent school! YAY Football! Go team!"
Maybe the system they have does work? I agree with you that it seems goofy but maybe it is ok. Where are the kids that graduate going to college? What percentage of kids that graduate go on to college? If the top kids from the school are having a hard time getting accepted into the community college you may have an issue but if kids graduating from that school are regularly getting into top colleges around the country, it just might be ok. As for the football team, around here the better schools do have the better sports teams because those teams are full of kids that know how to work hard on the field and in the classroom. Our top football player last year was accepted (ACADEMICALLY, not athletically) to Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth, Notre Dame and Brown (and some local good schools too)....he is at Harvard now, not playing football, he might run track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education