U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

179 posts, read 224,353 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have gifted kid who has emotional and social behavior ? I need somebody to talk and learn what to do to help my son. Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM

My son started reading alphabets by himself when he was 2 years old, and read book at 4. He played some educational toy and learned alphabets from that without any help from us. He passed accessment test to enter gifted school in first grade with 400 points compare to the requirement for passing is 110. I was so sorry that I did not know anything about gifted kids. My family do not have anyone is like that. Besides he has been taking medication for seizure since he was 5, has many other sickness such aczema, nose bleeding and very weak, small size. We knew that he could not commute 45 minutes each way to gifted school, we moved to better school district but no gifted program for kid. I though it was fine for him, so my son just learned easier in school and relaxed for his health condition. That was big mistake.
He now has most gifted characters such perfectionism, emotional and social behaviors and many more... He cries when he loses a bonus point for the test, he is upset and drops off eveything, does not want to do anything else that day. He is good with math, science ,music but has problem with writing. He refuses learning social study. Again, the school gave him an IQ test when he was in fourth grade, he was 9 years old but his IQ came out about 14 and a half. From that day, the school spychologist told me about gifted kids, then I knew and started reading books for that.
My son now is in six grade. I'm so worried about he gets in trouble with school ecademic. He got low points in state standard test for ELA, but perfect for math in fifth grade. I need someone has problem with gifted kids like that and give me advice what to do the best to help him to learn writing and control his emotional and social problems.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Nancy2011; 09-13-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM

7,910 posts, read 12,212,696 times
What resources does your school system have? Perhaps a GT teacher, counselor, school psychologist, or social worker could help.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Because he has Doctor's note, they put him in 504 program . However, I dont think that is enough to help him. He needs more challenges in math and science, but he needs help alot with writing. I dont see they help enough. They give him more time for writing, but he always complains he gets stuck. His problem is he can not organize idea to write. Moreover, he has no idea what to write about when he has large vocabulary. I don't know what to do

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,812,449 times
Contact the person in charge of pupil personnel services. Also contact the school guidance counselor. Stress that you are looking for resources. Depending on the state you are in, your child has MANY rights as a gifted student. Although 504's are not generally a part of the gifted IEP and in some states if you have a 504 that takes priority over the gifted IEP. Do not stop until you hear the same thing at least 3 times from 3 different sources. Check your state's department of education website for gifted education, it is often spelled out as to which services they must provide.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM

15,364 posts, read 16,963,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy2011 View Post
Does anyone have gifted kid who has emotional and social behavior ? I need somebody to talk and learn what to do to help my son. Thank you for your input
You may need to look at this website for some insights.

Hoagies' Gifted Education Page

Especially look at the characteristics of highly gifted children.

Hoagies' Gifted: Highly, Exceptionally, and Profoundly Gifted

and at the social and emotional needs of gifted kids

Hoagies' Gifted: Social / Emotional Aspects of Giftedness

Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,990,003 times
Are you sure it was an IQ test and not an achievement test? I've never heard of an IQ score being scored on an age level. Your IQ score at 10 years old should be the same at 50 years old, all things being equal.

Check out the twice expectional forum at Davidson, all the forums actually, as all gifted kids will experience a lot of these quirks.

Gifted Issues Discussion Forum - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

you will get the advice of tons of people that have experienced the same issues, and things they've explored.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Are you sure it was an IQ test and not an achievement test? I've never heard of an IQ score being scored on an age level. Your IQ score at 10 years old should be the same at 50 years old, all things being equal.

Check out the twice expectional forum at Davidson, all the forums actually, as all gifted kids will experience a lot of these quirks.

Gifted Issues Discussion Forum - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

you will get the advice of tons of people that have experienced the same issues, and things they've explored.
that is comprehensive evaluation. I had no idea what to do and talked to his neurologist. He wrote up the letter and we had one requesting school committee to perform the test. His IQ is about 135. Some books say that IQ test is not really reliable. Howeevr, since his test result came out so high even he sometimes could not complete school work, they voted not to do anything for him by that time. He still did well in fourth grade and passed state standard test with top ranking, but dropped to too low grade in fifth grade. Thanks for your link since this morning I thought about it.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Contact the person in charge of pupil personnel services. Also contact the school guidance counselor. Stress that you are looking for resources. Depending on the state you are in, your child has MANY rights as a gifted student. Although 504's are not generally a part of the gifted IEP and in some states if you have a 504 that takes priority over the gifted IEP. Do not stop until you hear the same thing at least 3 times from 3 different sources. Check your state's department of education website for gifted education, it is often spelled out as to which services they must provide.
They did not have any other plan for my son in school. I feel so sorry for him and sent email contact GATS in our county. They had very limit like after school activities only and accepted my son with his test result. However, again 40 minute commuting each way with no bussing. I gave up. Right now they put him in a program that have kids with social behavior, but no challenge or something better for his education. I am so sorry for him and want to do something but don't know what I should do . I'm thinking to take him to see speech therapist or someone like that since he has some problems with expressing his ideas too. I just made appointment with his Neurologist and will ask her what will do to help him.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You may need to look at this website for some insights.

Hoagies' Gifted Education Page

Especially look at the characteristics of highly gifted children.

Hoagies' Gifted: Highly, Exceptionally, and Profoundly Gifted

and at the social and emotional needs of gifted kids

Hoagies' Gifted: Social / Emotional Aspects of Giftedness
I got these from my co worker, but thanks anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education