U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,096,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
As has been stated several times in this thread, the schools are clearly failing to produce graduates that are capable of fulfilling the requirements employers require.
The teachers clearly do not want to accept responsibility for their failures, and would prefer to blame parents, students, and any one else besides themselves for these failures.
I think what we really need, is to have oversight committees in each school district made up of parents and members of the business community who monitor teacher performance and have the power to terminate teachers and administrators who fail to perform. I believe this is the only way to improve classroom performance and to assess what the real problems are in the classroom. Schools need to be accountable to parents and to the community they serve.

Run for your local school board and get those lazy teachers straightened out.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Run for your local school board and get those lazy teachers straightened out.
You know, I think half of our problem is too many non education folk have done just that....

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Eh, my dad was a school board member for twenty years, AFTER having been a teacher, and nobody wanted to hear what he had to say, either...as a former educator, current small business owner, or as a taxpayer. He was always pro-students and pro-learning (and anti-dead wood educators AND administrators who weren't performing), but everyone else on the board was pro-cronyism and pro-cutting corners (as long as those cut corners didn't affect the nest they were feathering for friends and family, anyway).

Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,713,187 times
Here's a very enlightening article concerning the subject at hand.

Anyone open to enlightenment? Or are we still stuck in the same old rut?

Moving beyond 'blame the teacher' - latimes.com

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
I am curious how many people on this thread that are bashing teachers even have kids in school right now? Where does everyone live that your schools are SO bad??? I guess we are lucky that are schools are top notch and we just don't see these problems that everyone is griping about

Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
My kids have had great and not-so-great teachers, but I feel very uncomfortable with the overarching criticism that pervades this thread. For the most part I believe my children are receiving a superior education to that which I received at their ages.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-21-2011 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,287,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I'm reading that title right, the issue may be found in "...More Students take Test." In years past, these tests were taken by the college bound. If more students are taking them, we're including a lower segment of the population. Just my two cents.
LOL. As I was reading the replies I was wondering who'd catch that. Reading comprehension is pretty low on the internet, isn't it? Critical thinking is probably no longer taught, either...just like cursive.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Sadly, American public schools are being run by administrators, most of whom hated teaching enough to get out or couldn't make it as teachers. What's wrong with that model?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sadly, American public schools are being run by administrators, most of whom hated teaching enough to get out or couldn't make it as teachers. What's wrong with that model?
How do you know they hated teaching? This happens in every profession. Some move up and run the show. Does this mean that engineers who become managers hate engineering? Doctors who become hospital adminstrators hate being doctors? Etc, etc, etc....

The ones who scare me are school board members who have never taught who make decisions like which curriculum to purchase or whether to try cyber learning. If you haven't been in the classroom, you are unlikely to even have a clue as to what works and what doesn't. I'd rather have former teachers running the show than people who have never taught.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The ones who scare me are school board members who have never taught who make decisions like which curriculum to purchase or whether to try cyber learning. If you haven't been in the classroom, you are unlikely to even have a clue as to what works and what doesn't. I'd rather have former teachers running the show than people who have never taught.
I spent so many years reporting on school boards for newspapers, attending countless meetings, and being the daughter of a former teacher who went on to be a 20+ year school board member.

Speaking from personal experience in that arena, my experience is that teachers tend to DESPISE former teachers-turned-board members. You'd think it would be the opposite, but that's not my experience. Especially during contract negotiations/strikes. The kind of ugliness the likes of which I've never seen before or since - reason being that a former teacher on the board is apparently ALWAYS supposed to side with the teachers...even if they're in the wrong.

It's not dissimilar to how classroom teachers often despise administrators on principle...even (sometimes especially) when the administrators are teachers with whom they formerly worked side by side. And not all administrators are frustrated and/or inept former teachers...they may also be educators who also had a strong aptitude for management, or educators who would have preferred to stay in the classroom, but it became financially untenable to do so, and going the admin route at least allowed for them to stay in the game, versus finding better employment elsewhere.

I've seen board members without relevant classroom experience who, in an effort to attempt to understand better what DOES go on in the schools they are overseeing, spend a lot of volunteer time in the schools, observing in classrooms, etc., and teachers don't like THAT, either, because they feel that they're being watched and evaluated, even if the board member is upfront about their reasons for being there. So it's really no-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or