U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM

32,151 posts, read 39,236,941 times

Advertisements

Learning how to read was the only reason I agreed to go to 1st grade (no Kindergarten back then where we lived).

Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

613 posts, read 808,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most kids with a love of reading come from homes where reading is commonplace and presented as a fun activity, where parents read for enjoyment and children are read to as bonding time. How it's done in school actually carries very little weight if the above is in place.
All of the above is in place in my home and always has been. The requirement of having to complete a log and 1 or 2 paragraph response to nightly reading sucks the joy right out of reading, especially when it's required every night.

Don't think so? I challenge you to do the same with whatever book you are currently reading for pure enjoyment at the moment. You MUST read at least 6 nights a week for a minimum of 30 minutes, then write a response to questions such as "what do you think will happen next?", and write a minimum of 6 to 8 sentences. Try it for a month. I am honestly interested in how much you enjoy reading over that month.

The same day my dd no longer had to keep a log/response book was the day my dd started to enjoy reading. Coincidence?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,093,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
All of the above is in place in my home and always has been. The requirement of having to complete a log and 1 or 2 paragraph response to nightly reading sucks the joy right out of reading, especially when it's required every night.

Don't think so? I challenge you to do the same with whatever book you are currently reading for pure enjoyment at the moment. You MUST read at least 6 nights a week for a minimum of 30 minutes, then write a response to questions such as "what do you think will happen next?", and write a minimum of 6 to 8 sentences.

The same day my dd no longer had to keep a log/response book was the day my dd started to enjoy reading. Coincidence?
I agree with this and resented the reading logs that my kids had to do in elementary school. I am generally a rule follower but I told each of my kids teachers every year that my kids would read books as they normally would but they would not be reading so much a day. I thought that was stupid. You read when you can. Some days I'll read two pages, and another I'll read 100. Kids are the same way. If they have tons of homework and activities then there may not be time to read. On a weekend, they could stay up late reading for hours. None of the teachers objected. I agree about the journal. Once in awhile, that seems okay but not for every single book.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,284,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Teacher - The only job you can be terrible at and get guaranteed raises, pensions, free healthcare, 14 weeks vacation, etc....
It's also the only job you can be great at and people will still disrespect you for no good reason whatsoever.

And if you think teaching is the only job you can be terrible at and get raises, and pensions, you need to come to Texas and meet some people in the oil industry.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And if you think teaching is the only job you can be terrible at and get raises, and pensions, you need to come to Texas and meet some people in the oil industry.
Investment banking, anyone?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,726,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Investment banking, anyone?
CEO's who drive companies into the ground and then float out on golden umbrellas....

Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,726,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree with this and resented the reading logs that my kids had to do in elementary school. I am generally a rule follower but I told each of my kids teachers every year that my kids would read books as they normally would but they would not be reading so much a day. I thought that was stupid. You read when you can. Some days I'll read two pages, and another I'll read 100. Kids are the same way. If they have tons of homework and activities then there may not be time to read. On a weekend, they could stay up late reading for hours. None of the teachers objected. I agree about the journal. Once in awhile, that seems okay but not for every single book.
The purpose of the logs and the constructed response questions is to get kids asking the questions that adults already ask. While I do agree that kids will enjoy reading more when they are FINISHED with logs, I think the get more out of reading for having done the logs.

Reading is a passive activity unless you do something to make it active like, write a response. I teach high school chemistry and I require my students to take Cornell style notes where they write down main ideas and supporting details and then summarize what they read. This makes their reading active and forces them to think about what they read. Seriously, how many times have you been reading a book and gotten to the bottom of a page and realized that you don't remember one single word you just read? There is a difference between reading for enjoyment and reading for information. Kids are reading for information when they read for school assignments.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The purpose of the logs and the constructed response questions is to get kids asking the questions that adults already ask. While I do agree that kids will enjoy reading more when they are FINISHED with logs, I think the get more out of reading for having done the logs.

Reading is a passive activity unless you do something to make it active like, write a response. I teach high school chemistry and I require my students to take Cornell style notes where they write down main ideas and supporting details and then summarize what they read. This makes their reading active and forces them to think about what they read. Seriously, how many times have you been reading a book and gotten to the bottom of a page and realized that you don't remember one single word you just read? There is a difference between reading for enjoyment and reading for information. Kids are reading for information when they read for school assignments.
I'm not talking about reading for information. I'm talking about Chapter books and novels. Throughout elementary, they are required to read Chapter books or novels as part of their HW assignments. Nothing wrong with that and the hope is that the kids will get great enjoyment from this and continue reading for enjoyment for the rest of their lives. I say required logs/responses that must be done after the required reading is a joy kill!

Ivory, this is in contrast to reading for information and taking notes. Two different topics

Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,417,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
I'm not talking about reading for information. I'm talking about Chapter books and novels. Throughout elementary, they are required to read Chapter books or novels as part of their HW assignments. Nothing wrong with that and the hope is that the kids will get great enjoyment from this and continue reading for enjoyment for the rest of their lives. I say required logs/responses that must be done after the required reading is a joy kill!

Ivory, this is in contrast to reading for information and taking notes. Two different topics
No, it is not. As I stated on the other thread, assigned reading in school is HOMEWORK, period. It is not pleasure reading. It is there to serve an educational purpose-maybe it is there to get information from the novel, maybe it is there to teach literary themes, etc. Pleasure reading is outside the scope of homework altogether.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, it is not. As I stated on the other thread, assigned reading in school is HOMEWORK, period. It is not pleasure reading. It is there to serve an educational purpose-maybe it is there to get information from the novel, maybe it is there to teach literary themes, etc. Pleasure reading is outside the scope of homework altogether.
Maybe in your school district, NOT in mine. The nightly reading is specifically for getting kids reading for enjoyment every day. How do I know this? Because in the beginning of every year, attached to the first log, is a memo for parents describing the purpose of the nightly reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or