U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 AM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,791,023 times
Reputation: 18791

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
In conjunction with teachers, parents must set guidelines and rules for their kids------put the gadgets away, stay off the computers, and off the streets. Set academic goals for your kids and ask them to show you daily what they are learning.
I'd appreciate parents not texting their kids at school -- in the middle of my class!!!

At least once a day I'll tell a student to put his/her phone away and the response will be "But I have to answer it -- it's my mom!"

If parents refuse to respect school rules, how can we expect kids to do any differently?

 
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
This one piece shows how disingenuous your argument is. If you don't get your job done, your boss will fire you and find somebody who will. That is powerful motivation for an employee. Schools can't fire kids and hire ones that are more skilled and motivated.

There's plenty of blame for the state of education. To pin it all on teachers is ridiculous. Do you give teachers all the credit for kids that do well?
Actually, the real problem is that we can't fire the teachers and administrators who are not getting the job done!
 
Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'd appreciate parents not texting their kids at school -- in the middle of my class!!!

At least once a day I'll tell a student to put his/her phone away and the response will be "But I have to answer it -- it's my mom!"

If parents refuse to respect school rules, how can we expect kids to do any differently?
Let me get this straight, you allow cell phones in class and then blame parents for texting them.
 
Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I think teaching is a two way street.

Firstly, through preparation, organization, and patience it is a teachers responsiblity to attempt to transmit subject matter to children. They need to try to do it in a manner that gets through to most kids and not losing a bunch of them in the process.

Teaching kids in this day and age is not an easy proposition-----kids are easily distracted with gadgets, lack of focus, and frankly not caring at all.

For those reasons teachers are not the only ones involved in the process. Teachers can be all be knights of honor and brilliance, but if the kids dont have a support system at home, teachers can only do so much.

In conjunction with teachers, parents must set guidelines and rules for their kids------put the gadgets away, stay off the computers, and off the streets. Set academic goals for your kids and ask them to show you daily what they are learning.

Teachers cannot do everything by themselves-----they can set the plate, deliver the material effectively, and charter the course. However, if students face a hostile and unconcerned environment at home it is likely to have a negative impact.
Teaching is definitely a two way street but I'm convinced student quality matters more than teacher quality. I think it is the rare teacher/student combination where a teacher can undo being taught by parents that education is not important (by actions), lack of support at home and lack of encouragement. This is the stuff movies are made of but movies are not real life.

Good teachers matter because not matter what type of student you get, the outcome is better if they have a good teacher but, most of the time, you won't get great outcomes unless you start with prepared kids no matter how good the teacher.

As a teacher, I want all of my students to learn but some will learn more than others not because I taught them more but because they came to me ready to learn more. I will put 80% of my effort into the bottom 20% of my classes but I fully expect to see less results there than I will in the top 20% who get little attention....and then there's the middle. That's the group I could probably have the most impact with but with 150 students and only seeing them for 50 minutes per day, I have to pick a focus. For the upper kids, I do enrich my lectures with information they will not be tested on.
 
Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Let me get this straight, you allow cell phones in class and then blame parents for texting them.
Because of events like Columbine, we are not allowed to just take their cell phones away. So, cellphone use under the table becomes one more thing we need to try and police during class. I don't allow cell phone use but I only catch the obvious ones because I get into what I'm teaching. We need to put a para in every room to take cell phones (we can take them if we see them out during class), wake kids up, take notes they pass, stop conversations, etc, etc, etc.... Unfortunately, high school is not like college where it's your problem if you didn't pay attention. Parents try to make it my problem to make their child pay attention and that cuts into teaching time which lowers the quality of education...
 
Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Virginia
7,893 posts, read 12,140,651 times
Reputation: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because of events like Columbine, we are not allowed to just take their cell phones away. So, cellphone use under the table becomes one more thing we need to try and police during class.
But are they allowed to have them on? Our district rule is they can possess them, but they can't be on or visible on school grounds. I haven't seen kids with them in my third grade class. I know in the middle school they will take it away for five days and then the parent has to come and pick it up.
 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Virginia
7,893 posts, read 12,140,651 times
Reputation: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
State-by-state SAT and ACT scores | Public Agenda

Um, MN leads the nation in SAT scores, meaning we are well above average, we also lead the nation in ACT scores (for states were more than 25% of the kids take the test)...
I took the ACT in high school. I teach elementary school students. I'm curious as to what is considered a "good" score with the newest SAT format. Our high school had an average SAT of 1632, but is in the middle of the pack for the area. Few think that is "great". Most people consider it an "ok" school.

I'm looking at a list of SAT scores for high schools in our county and surrounding districts. By rank they pretty much line up with the economic status of the community surrounding them. The one exception is the school for science and technology which scored 2184. Twenty schools in the area have avg. scores ranging from 1522-1819. Pretty good scores it seems and I wouldn't contribute them to any one group, but rather the whole community which includes students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 AM
 
11,151 posts, read 13,791,023 times
Reputation: 18791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Let me get this straight, you allow cell phones in class and then blame parents for texting them.
Excuse me -- *I* allow cell phones? The district says that students may have cell phones in school and may use them during non-class times. That means before/after school, lunch, and passing time. However, kids being kids, they invariably try to use them during class as well.

When we see phones in use, we confiscate them and turn them in to the main office where administration deals with them.

Do you have a better solution? I'd love to hear it.

Do you suggest completely prohibiting students having cell phones in the building? Good luck with that. Parents will riot, insisting that their children MUST have a cell phone -- saying it's for their personal safety.

Perhaps kids should put their phones in their lockers at the beginning of the day? Lockers get broken into. Are you going to hold the school responsible if that happens?

Should we collect all cell phones at the beginning of the day? Good luck with that, too. That presents issues of storage (there are upwards of 1,100 students in my school, and nearly every single one has a cell phone), lost time (how long do you think it would take to collect 1000+ phones, sort them, lock them up and then hand them all out again at the end of the day?), security (what if the person redistributing the phones makes a mistake and gives your child's $300 iPhone to the wrong student), and financial accountability (oops! the phone slipped out of your child's hand as s/he was handing it to the collection person, broke when it landed on the floor, and now you say the school has to replace it).

Personally, I'd like a device that blocks all cell phone transmissions in the schools. They're illegal, of course, but it would certainly solve the problem .....
 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Let me get this straight, you allow cell phones in class and then blame parents for texting them.
In most high schools, cell phones are not allowed during class. However, in many they are allowed during lunch. How is the teacher supposed to make sure every cell phone is turned off during class time? Seriously, the more time teachers have to take policing this, the less time they have to teach.
 
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 AM
 
2,920 posts, read 2,906,142 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Let me get this straight, you allow cell phones in class and then blame parents for texting them.
Children break rules. That's what they do.

Some parents break rules and teach their children to do the same.

You can't control what they do. You can only set the consequences. The police don't allow me to drive faster than the speed limit. If I choose to do so, then the only thing stopping me is getting caught. If I don't have to pay a large fine, then I might just do it again. If I have enough money, even a large fine may not stop me. Taking my license might not stop me, if I have no respect for the law.

Teachers are bound by contract to follow their district's policies. If the district allows them to have cell phones at school, the teacher must abide by that. I have a rule that all purses and book-bags must be placed under the students' desks. It is a strategy to prevent students from being able to text in class, and it is somewhat successful.

BTW, we don't use lockers at our school. Students must carry all their belongings to each of their four classes every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top