U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 AM

417 posts, read 636,638 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know whether or not you all think Montessori school is a wise choice for middle school years? Has anyone here been a part of or know anyone who has attended Montessori or Montessori type schools for middle school and then gone onto a traditonal high school?

Mainly, I am curious as to whether the more relaxed, child centered environment helps them through these years or is it best to jump in the big, structured pond in middle school and then move on to high school?

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM

52 posts, read 85,643 times
It's expensive. The plus is the teachers are trained. It's worth it especially if the child has Dyslexia. Public School is OK provided the parents work with their child at home after school and monitor homework, test prep, and also do some skill building, extracurricular activities, sports, music, and some extra education like online schools so the children are better prepared during college time. Even when parents send their children to Montessoir middle school, I would advice them to do all the above mentioned things and also keep constant touch with the teacher checking on the childs progress and participation in class. Children are pathetic when it comes to grammar and basic math by the time they are ready to enroll for college. It is the parents responsibility to guide the child and prepare them better to face the world with confidence. If not, children loose their self esteem and feel helpless and even stupid when they get poor grades and red remarks all over their papers by lecturers.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 PM

145 posts, read 33,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof2 View Post
Children are pathetic when it comes to grammar and basic math by the time they are ready to enroll for college.
Because of Montessori? Or Montessori is a way to prevent this?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:30 PM

12,109 posts, read 13,940,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof2 View Post
Children are pathetic when it comes to grammar and basic math by the time they are ready to enroll for college.
I strongly disagree with that statement.
The kids I know were quite strong, tested as such, and successfully went on to college.

A few may be as you say, but not the majority (as you sweeping generalization implies).

And what specifically does that have to do with Montessori for the middleschooler?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:34 PM

7,663 posts, read 9,173,723 times
I'm following this thread. Our grandson currently attends a Montessori pre-school, and his parents are weighing the pros and cons of having him continue. I have two friends who teach early elementary grades, and they both spoke out against the Montessori program beyond the very young ages. In their experience, the children who have gone through the program are not well adapted to handling group activities, and tend to call out in class, and do their "own thing". Personally, I have no experience.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,566,311 times
Based on what I have read about Montessori methods, it's sounds like a good program. I'm it varies from school to school, so you need to do your homework on whichever school you are looking at. I cannot remember the exact discussion, but it seems to me that Montessori is not a copyright and different entities take liberties with use of the name.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,336,674 times
I went to Montessori through 5th grade and my mom is a Montessori teacher.

Montessori is great if the school is great, it stinks if the school stinks. That's kind of the all encompassing answer to your question. No child is going to suffer just because they attended a Montessori school. I went on to a competitive private middle and high school and a top rated college. But if the school isn't any good then the education won't be. You have to look at where their graduates wind up and how they do in high school. While accreditation is also important, we had a negative experience with a local accredited Montessori school so it isn't foolproof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education