U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,670,675 times

Advertisements

I agree with some posters that expressly forbidding students to carry cell phones is the wrong tact. Kids today are feisty, and if they are told not to carry their phones or i pads into class, they will anyway.

The correct approach is for the schools to warn parents and teachers that if kids are caught using cell phones during class for any reason, they will have to turn the phones in to the teacher and the parents will be forced to pick the devices after school.

Parents who are busy running their households, working, and being involved in countless other things will not be thrilled with their kids if they have to retrieve their phones.

In this manner you do not treat kids like infants----you give them the option to take their phones to school and use them in a responsible manner. If they dont, they turn their phones in to the teacher and they have to deal with their parents reactions after school.

Kids need to have some rope to work with----if they run out rope than it is up to parents to get involved in enforcing regulations and standards with their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM

27,995 posts, read 19,672,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Firstly, I never said what you have quoted me as saying ^^. I never said such items were "just a convenience" or that people who know how to live without them are "smart." If you are going to attack my argument, then you had better understand it first.

That said, I will restate it: it is not healthy to cultivate a dependency [on technology], especially when it results in a loss of capability or an obsessive relationship. Simply using a computer is not the same as forgetting how to write b/c one has developed a dependency on that computer, or using a computer to check one's e-mail every 5 minutes.

And while it is great to have running water and electricity, everyone should know how to live without it to be prepared for emergencies in which both are no longer available so that one can continue to live.

Secondly, referring to an argument as "silly" in a post is gratuitous when you don't even state reasons for disagreeing with the argument but, rather, just insult it instead. It also is an indirect insult to the person who stated the argument. I am respectful and courteous to other posters and I expect the same, especially b/c those are the rules of the forum.

Hence, the next time you are going to disagree with someone's argument, disagree with the actual argument, rather than your tangential interpretation of it, and please refrain from making rude comments about the argument and/or the person who stated it.

How many kids do you know that this has actually happened to?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I agree with some posters that expressly forbidding students to carry cell phones is the wrong tact. Kids today are feisty, and if they are told not to carry their phones or i pads into class, they will anyway.
"Today's feisty kids" have to follow ALL SORTS of rules regarding conduct, and what is and isn't allowed various places...and will have to continue to do so in adulthood.

I fail to see the widsom in, "Well, kids don't follow rules anyway, so it's pointless to expect them to."

The fact that many kids DO, in fact have problems with discipline, self-discipline, and boundaries is exactly the reason that one SHOULDN'T lighten up on said boundaries.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,258,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How many kids do you know that this has actually happened to?
A lot. Many kids--as well as adults--can't even refrain from texting and/or surfing the net to pay attention to a lecture or drive. I see people all of the time who are texting while driving, and I have seen in a college, high school (and even a fitness) classroom students who obsessively text throughout class.

If you still aren't convinced that this is a problem:

Watch The Full Program | Digital Nation | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"Today's feisty kids" have to follow ALL SORTS of rules regarding conduct, and what is and isn't allowed various places...and will have to continue to do so in adulthood.

I fail to see the widsom in, "Well, kids don't follow rules anyway, so it's pointless to expect them to."

The fact that many kids DO, in fact have problems with discipline, self-discipline, and boundaries is exactly the reason that one SHOULDN'T lighten up on said boundaries.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,433,355 times
Quote:
A lot. Many kids--as well as adults--can't even refrain from texting and/or surfing the net to pay attention to a lecture or drive. I see people all of the time who are texting while driving, and I have seen in a college, high school (and even a fitness) classroom students who obsessively text throughout class.

If you still aren't convinced that this is a problem:

Watch The Full Program | Digital Nation | FRONTLINE | PBS
There is a huge difference between "can't" and "choose not to" .

Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
Yes, there is a huge difference... one would imply that you don't have the ability to refrain from making a dangerous/rude/otherwise inappropriate choice, the other notes that you are making a dangerous/rude/otherwise inappropriate choice completely consciously and purposefully.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is a huge difference between "can't" and "choose not to" .
This is precisely my point: when someone is so intent on using an item, and when its use jeopardizes that person's livelihood and/or the lives of others, then I would say that the behavior has become problematic, regardless of whether it is a matter of not being able to or not choosing to refrain from the behavior.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM

27,995 posts, read 19,672,986 times
Quote:
This is precisely my point: when someone is so intent on using an item, and when its use jeopardizes that person's livelihood and/or the lives of others, then I would say that the behavior has become problematic, regardless of whether it is a matter of not being able to or not choosing to refrain from the behavior.
Then that person should be punished, not everyone else who does know how to control themselves.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then that person should be punished, not everyone else who does know how to control themselves.
Well, if they don't break the rule, then they don't get punished. But the rule has to be in place ("no cell phones in class/at school") so that those who cannot control themselves are controlled; same thing as any other law or rule. Students who are controlling themselves (i.e. not breaking the rule) shouldn't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or