Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
To be honest, I didn't read all the responses, but IMHO, unless you are a teacher and have lived through this technological change, I really don't think you can respond appropriately, for what you THINK should happen, like phones teaching kids responsibility or leaving them on a corner of their desk and remain untouched, really does not work. Shadow any teacher and you will see what I mean. They are a distraction and a cheating device, plain and simple. YES, having the ability to get on the net to check something out or to write down on the calendar what is due or to take a pic of an assignment is all beneficial, but those who will just do that are far too few to allow them in class. BUT what the OP described is INSANE and takes away from the time needed for instruction.
I'm not a teacher. I have quite a few friends who are high school teachers though.

Most of them do not confiscate cells, tablets, smartphones unless given due cause to do so. It isn't as difficult as you are making it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think you'd be a better teacher by pushing personal responsibility rather than nannying the entire class.
That's exactly what teachers are teaching them when they take away their phones: what they should be focusing on rather than what they want to focus on; the punishment should be what convinces them and teaches them personal responsibility: if you break the rule, there are consequences, so don't break the rule.

If you don't take away the phones, those students will just end up failing, for which the teacher who didn't take away the phone will be blamed. As teachers, it is our jobs to make sure that we discipline to ensure that students are learning the material; if we don't discipline, and they don't learn the material, the teachers are blamed, not the students.
Moreover, I agree that, if you're a good teacher, you are making sure that they learn the material, you are not allowing them to hang themselves, especially b/c they're still kids, they don't have that much self-control yet, nor should they be expected to; they are still impressionable and susceptible, it's the teacher's job as an adult to provide them with a positive role model as well as the enforcement of the self-control that they have not yet cultivated. It's the same reason why we have curfews and age laws for marriage, smoking, drinking and voting.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
I think you'd be a better teacher by pushing personal responsibility rather than nannying the entire class.
Here's some personal responsibility:

"I went into class with my phone, knowing it wasn't allowed in class. It got confiscated because I chose not to follow the rule. I no longer have the phone."

Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here's some personal responsibility:

"I went into class with my phone, knowing it wasn't allowed in class. It got confiscated because I chose not to follow the rule. I no longer have the phone."
Nah. Sounds more like nannying than teaching any sort of REAL responsibility.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:
I'm not a teacher. I have quite a few friends who are high school teachers though.

Most of them do not confiscate cells, tablets, smartphones unless given due cause to do so. It isn't as difficult as you are making it out to be.
Well, I think it depends on where/what you teach and what the rules are in place for cell phone usage, and if the administration backs up the policy or not. So I am sticking to my guns on this one due to my own personal experience as well as my son's as he almost lost his job over a student using a cell phone in middle school as he took a photo of his penis and sent it to girl, and he didn't see it happening as they were in the back of his packed room, and he was teaching in the front of the classroom using the the board.

However, I am not for confiscating them as I had said in my post.

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 10-04-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's right. Maintaining behavioral expectations not being a part of appropriate societal interaction or anything.

People who think they're above rules always seem to have some misguided point about why the rules shouldn't apply to them.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:

I hope you are being sarcastic because that is a perfect example of teaching responsibility

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Seriously, rules are designed with the purpose of maintaining order and teaching student accountability.

It's life 101. There are rules, you follow them. You choose not to, you suffer consequences. "Nanny state." Pffft. The real babying comes in when kids are given the message that a. every forum is an appropriate venue for entertaining one's self with electronic gadgets (as opposed to legitimate academic usage), or b. rules, in general, don't apply to them.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Yes, and more importantly, students shouldn't even bring those items into the classroom in the first place.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
At the beginning of the class and put sticky notes on them with the students' name on it so they will know who they belong to in order to know that the students are not texting or listening to ipod in class behind the teachers' back and will probably pay more attention in class w/o their cell phones,ipods,etc. And then the teachers would give them back to the students at the end of class. Should teachers be allowed to do this?
In my room I will take any cell phones that are out without my permission. I allow Ipods if the students are working on something individually, and I have had no problems so far. Otherwise they are not to be out. I've told students that if they need to contact a parent for any reason, they can go to the office with my permission, knowing full well that the office doesn't allow it in an emergency. So nobody has tried that with me. My policies work pretty well since my kids are well behaved anyway--it's a nice community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education