U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,443,863 times
Reputation: 10476

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My thought as well...The electronics should never be allowed in school to begin with!!
I disagree, as the parent of high school aged kids. Our office staff loves cell phones. Parents can send a quick text to the kids if they need to tell them something, dr appointment changed, plans after school changed, or my favorite "pick up some milk on your way home" . The office staff no longer has to pass these messages along to the students, messages don't get lost, etc. Everyone does have to be reasonable about usage. I think that is why our school doesn't have huge issues with cell phones. The kids are given access to them during the day and while it isn't 100% and kids do abuse their privileges, it certainly is better than most schools I hear about.

Now by "technology" I am assuming you mean cell phones because I would sure hate to have a school with no access to computers, Smartboards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
Reputation: 48636
We don't allow electronic devices to be out in class, period, unless they are used for augmentative instructional or communication support. I have various students who are not verbal and use devices to speak, and students whose disabilities hinder their writing who may take notes on laptops...however, non-instructional or non-communication use is prohibited.

We also have students we are specifically teaching various life skills, including phone skills they will need for optimal independence. In these cases, we may use phones and other electronics for instructional and application purposes. But they are instructional aides, they typically aren’t the students’ personal phones (and most students who only have emerging phone skills don’t yet have personal phones, anyway).

We use a TON of technology in the course of our instructional day, more than most schools, given the nature of our school...there is no "ignoring technology" going on by heavily monitoring and supervising the use of technology so that off-task behavior is discouraged, and so that technology is used appropriately and for student learning, rather than as presenting an unneeded distraction or available as a task avoidance technique. Using technology in an educationally appropriate manner is something educators can really benefit from, but there are far better and smarter ways to do this than by allowing unrestricted student access to phones for personal use. That’s just asking for one more unnecessary distraction during the school day.

I remember my mom needing to reach me in a few actual emergency circumstances (versus personal convenience issues, which can either be handled in the morning before school or wait until after school)…calling the office, who got the message to me, invariably worked fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
 
738 posts, read 929,900 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I disagree, as the parent of high school aged kids. Our office staff loves cell phones. Parents can send a quick text to the kids if they need to tell them something, dr appointment changed, plans after school changed, or my favorite "pick up some milk on your way home" . The office staff no longer has to pass these messages along to the students, messages don't get lost, etc. Everyone does have to be reasonable about usage. I think that is why our school doesn't have huge issues with cell phones. The kids are given access to them during the day and while it isn't 100% and kids do abuse their privileges, it certainly is better than most schools I hear about.

Now by "technology" I am assuming you mean cell phones because I would sure hate to have a school with no access to computers, Smartboards, etc.
The staff office should be telling parents that only emergency contact is allowed during school hours.

If a dr. appt. is changed, and the child is leaving school early that day, that would be an exception. In that case the school would tell the child, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,072,349 times
Reputation: 422
Depends... My son has an iPod touch/iPad as part of his IEP. If the teacher took it, I would be seriously mad, as he uses it to write, and express himself. If it's a typical child and they are not using it for educational purposes, by all means take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM
 
553 posts, read 874,023 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
At the beginning of the class and put sticky notes on them with the students' name on it so they will know who they belong to in order to know that the students are not texting or listening to ipod in class behind the teachers' back and will probably pay more attention in class w/o their cell phones,ipods,etc. And then the teachers would give them back to the students at the end of class. Should teachers be allowed to do this?
why would a teacher spend 20 minutes of the class time on this? Are you serious?

Last edited by Dressy; 09-23-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,072,349 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
why would a teacher spend 20 minutes of the class time on this? Are you serious?



You want some special rules for your special child, huh? Do you pay some special fees? I guess not. I guess that should be a public school. In a private school such ambitions would not have been tolerated one day.
IEPs are legally binding documents. If you don't like it, talk to your senator and ask them to repeal IDEA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
 
553 posts, read 874,023 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
IEPs are legally binding documents. If you don't like it, talk to your senator and ask them to repeal IDEA.
Sorry, I misunderstood.
I did not realized that IEPs are some sort of special needs. I mostly meant parental attitude. It would be sad however if the teacher has to explain to everybody in the class that they are not allowed to use Iphone, but only this particular child can do that, because he is special. Sad for a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
 
15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Reputation: 15029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Sorry, I did not realized that IEPs is some sort of special needs. I mostly meant parental attitude. It would be said however to have to explain to everybody in the class that they are not allowed to use Iphone, but only this particular child can do that, because he is special. Sad for a child.
She said he uses it to write and to express himself. This may mean that it is his means of communication. You obviously have NO clue what this means.

Would you not allow Stephen Hawkings his voice writer if you had a young Stephen Hawkings in your classroom? Would you not allow a blind student his braille writer? Would you not allow a hearing impaired student his hearing aid or a visually impaired student his glasses or contacts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,072,349 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood.
I did not realized that IEPs are some sort of special needs. I mostly meant parental attitude. It would be sad however if the teacher has to explain to everybody in the class that they are not allowed to use Iphone, but only this particular child can do that, because he is special. Sad for a child.
I am a parent, I have a child who has moderate autism. My son needs an iPhone/iPad/Communicative devise to communicate. It's not sad, it's a fact of life, most children are far more understanding than the parents. The only reason he has an iPad, because they are a whole lot cheaper than the alternative-- a communication devise can cost $10,000 and it's not covered by insurance. At least with a $800 iPad, I don't feel so conflicted sending it to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
 
572 posts, read 1,072,349 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
She said he uses it to write and to express himself. This may mean that it is his means of communication. You obviously have NO clue what this means.

Would you not allow Stephen Hawkings his voice writer if you had a young Stephen Hawkings in your classroom? Would you not allow a blind student his braille writer? Would you not allow a hearing impaired student his hearing aid or a visually impaired student his glasses or contacts?
Thank-you... I have come across this a lot of times with various accomodations for my son-- what makes him so special that he gets x, y, or z privilege??? So now autism is a privilege, I'll have to remind myself of that the next time he blackens my eye, or on Monday when I get yet another negative report from the teacher, who is ill-equipped to handle him, at least he gets the privilege of an iPad, $3000 therapy dog, and a decent parking spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top