U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times

Advertisements

Posting Jeremy Sicile-Kira's high school graduation again. People have no idea how a communication device can help a child succeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cEtand01w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,262,802 times
I agree that technology is an important component of education. However, I don't think that cell phones fall into the same category as Smartboards and Edline.

I see cell phones abused more often than they are used for a meaningful purpose, and I see more negative results than positive results from their use by teenage students.

Positive results: great in an emergency. This I would never argue with: cell phones are great in real emergency situations (like school shootings).

The negative results from technology: improper usage and all of the problems that improper usage causes--traffic accidents (texting/talking while driving), class interruptions, poor spelling skills, weak handwriting skills, class interruptions, lack of focus on school work and an inability to focus for extended periods of time. I find it a little disturbing when students (and lots of adults) can't even put their cell down without checking it every 5 minutes. For a lot of people, it becomes an obsessive-compulsive behavior. Moreover, while many students think that they are getting more done b/c of technology, that isn't what the research is showing (watch Frontline: Digital Nation).

So, yeah, I agree with taking them away if they are seen in class. In fact, the only people that really should have them are the teachers and, again, only for emergencies.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,473,591 times
Several years ago our district policy on cell phones was for them not to be used at all during the day except for during their lunch and they really wanted them inside lockers or backpacks (some schools don't have lockers). Any cell out during class was taken away and the parents had to come pay a fine to get it back. This made the school some money, however in the long run it caused far more problems than the policy was worth, so they made a big change.

Now, the students can (and do) have them in their pockets all day long and can use them anytime they are not in class. They are used in class at various times as well. The teachers have occasionally set up polls that the students vote in via phone. They might use the phone to do a quick research assignment. Some teachers use a class twitter or facebook page to update class assignments or make announcements.

Our high schools and middle schools use all kinds of technology and social media, so the logical thing is to bring in the kids phones and take advantage of them.

The teachers have far less stress with this policy over cell phones than with the no cell phone policy.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM

4,109 posts, read 5,004,025 times
Yes......yes..yes....

Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,443,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Several years ago our district policy on cell phones was for them not to be used at all during the day except for during their lunch and they really wanted them inside lockers or backpacks (some schools don't have lockers). Any cell out during class was taken away and the parents had to come pay a fine to get it back. This made the school some money, however in the long run it caused far more problems than the policy was worth, so they made a big change.

Now, the students can (and do) have them in their pockets all day long and can use them anytime they are not in class. They are used in class at various times as well. The teachers have occasionally set up polls that the students vote in via phone. They might use the phone to do a quick research assignment. Some teachers use a class twitter or facebook page to update class assignments or make announcements.

Our high schools and middle schools use all kinds of technology and social media, so the logical thing is to bring in the kids phones and take advantage of them.

The teachers have far less stress with this policy over cell phones than with the no cell phone policy.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM

42,285 posts, read 49,863,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It is silly to expect high school students to leave phones and ipods in their lockers for the entire day..
Why? Are the expecting urgent calls? Do they have to make day trades? Is there a patient that needs to have their medication adjusted?

There is no reason the phone (and certainly not an ipod) even needs to enter school property, let alone the classroom. However, since leaving them in the car would no doubt lead to a rash of car break-ins, I say leave 'em in your locker.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,276,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
At the beginning of the class and put sticky notes on them with the students' name on it so they will know who they belong to in order to know that the students are not texting or listening to ipod in class behind the teachers' back and will probably pay more attention in class w/o their cell phones,ipods,etc. And then the teachers would give them back to the students at the end of class. Should teachers be allowed to do this?
Yes.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 AM

12,457 posts, read 27,107,910 times
Our school allows texting during study halls and lunch. If a student is caught texting during a class, it's an automatic after school detention. I think that goes to a Saturday detention the second time. During tests, phones must be placed face down on the student's desk.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:54 AM

15,778 posts, read 13,205,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why? Are the expecting urgent calls? Do they have to make day trades? Is there a patient that needs to have their medication adjusted?

There is no reason the phone (and certainly not an ipod) even needs to enter school property, let alone the classroom. However, since leaving them in the car would no doubt lead to a rash of car break-ins, I say leave 'em in your locker.
Yes. Urgent calls. I work in a school that literally saw the towers come down right from our doorstep. Some of our kids lost parents that day. Maybe its a location issue but I would never, ever limit a child's access to their parents ever again.

Additionally, a phone is far more than a phone these days, calendars, flash cards, homework planner are all commonly found on a typical cell. It is far more important to me that my students find and utilize an organization system that works for them, than avoiding doing my job of TEACHING them how to behave in my classroom. The potential uses of ipods are at least that of phones (since they have all the same features) and can include integration into the language classroom, the ability to act as a "white noise" machine for kid who want to study during lunch period, or even just playing a game during their down time during lunch.

Besides, your analogy of day trades and doctors is not apt. The expectation is that EVERYONE is allowed to carry their cell phones with them, either in college or the workplace as long as they do not interfere with either. Having one set of expectations in high school and a completely different one in the workplace or college is setting up kids for making mistakes. We need policies at the high school level that encourage appropriate use of technology and real consequences for its misuse.

Last edited by lkb0714; 09-24-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 AM

35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The expectation is that EVERYONE is allowed to carry their cell phones with them, either in college or the workplace as long as they do not interfere with either.
Convince me that the majority of teens carrying cell phones possess both the maturity level and inclination to responsibly carry a cell phone for emergency contact purposes (e.g. not texting, websurfing, game-playing, facebook checking, YouTube video watching, etc. in class), without it interfering with class in any way.

There are workplaces (I work in one) where employees are emphatically NOT to be using their phones for non-work-related purposes except over their lunch breaks. I have seen teachers receive reprimands (and be let go, after repeated reprimands) because they couldn't manage to hold themselves back from texting while they were supposed to be teaching and/or supervising the safety of kids with severe special needs.

I do agree that high school students need to learn what is and isn't acceptable and appropriate in the world post-high school, and being glued to your phone for non-emergency and non-work-related reasons while you are ostensibly engaged in work isn't acceptable or appropriate...school should emulate this.

One problem is that many working adults DON'T SEEM TO GRASP THIS EITHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or