Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times

Advertisements

I surely wouldn't wanna have to babysit people's phones, and run the risk of getting unwittingly sucked into the "teacher broke my phone!" game. With very few legitimate academic exceptions, there's no reason for a phone to enter my classroom, whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
For those saying that using water and electricity are "just a convenience" and that smart people really know how to live without them, what are you doing on the computer?!

That whole line of argument is just so silly.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
I believe they were banned by the FCC, and I am sure there are a million reasons why it would be allowed. But there are cellphone jammers.

Also checking in phones is a logistical nightmare to deal with everyday. Someone's somewhere will get stolen or broken and the school will be at fault.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
To get back to the OP, I believe that the rules for cell phone use would make more sense if teachers had kids put the devices out on the corner of their desks as someone else suggested. Cell phones should not be used in class, but teachers should not have to police them by taking them away.

I could see a pocket system where all kids would deposit their phones in a hanging pocket calculator storage bin like this one:

Amazon.com: Learning Resources Calculator Storage Pocket Chart (LER0056): Office Products

Each student could have a number and that would be their pocket.
I use the same thing for our calculators we have in class. I manage the calculators as well as the phones. Really all I want is to be able to tell my students to put them out on the corner of their desk. That way I know they are not texting and/or using them to cheat. So far at my school this year no one has been caught cheating on a test with a phone in any class.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
No. It just needs to be said that these devices are not to be brought out in class, and then if they are they student can be removed from the class.

Since these things aren't going away we have to set strict rules and guidelines regarding when/where they can be used. There will be a learning curve and might take some hard lessons but eventually this needs to be the norm.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM

178 posts, read 331,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I surely wouldn't wanna have to babysit people's phones, and run the risk of getting unwittingly sucked into the "teacher broke my phone!" game. With very few legitimate academic exceptions, there's no reason for a phone to enter my classroom, whatsoever.
I agree. Once you give an inch the kids take a mile.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No. It just needs to be said that these devices are not to be brought out in class, and then if they are they student can be removed from the class.

Since these things aren't going away we have to set strict rules and guidelines regarding when/where they can be used. There will be a learning curve and might take some hard lessons but eventually this needs to be the norm.
Agreed. None of my teachers took away pens and papers because we passed notes back and forth.

The offenders were (sometimes) caught and punished.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM

4,972 posts, read 10,644,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For those saying that using water and electricity are "just a convenience" and that smart people really know how to live without them, what are you doing on the computer?!

That whole line of argument is just so silly.
Firstly, I never said what you have quoted me as saying ^^. I never said such items were "just a convenience" or that people who know how to live without them are "smart." If you are going to attack my argument, then you had better understand it first.

That said, I will restate it: it is not healthy to cultivate a dependency [on technology], especially when it results in a loss of capability or an obsessive relationship. Simply using a computer is not the same as forgetting how to write b/c one has developed a dependency on that computer, or using a computer to check one's e-mail every 5 minutes.

And while it is great to have running water and electricity, everyone should know how to live without it to be prepared for emergencies in which both are no longer available so that one can continue to live.

Secondly, referring to an argument as "silly" in a post is gratuitous when you don't even state reasons for disagreeing with the argument but, rather, just insult it instead. It also is an indirect insult to the person who stated the argument. I am respectful and courteous to other posters and I expect the same, especially b/c those are the rules of the forum.

Hence, the next time you are going to disagree with someone's argument, disagree with the actual argument, rather than your tangential interpretation of it, and please refrain from making rude comments about the argument and/or the person who stated it.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM

616 posts, read 852,692 times
no questoin teachers should be allowed to snatch up phones, ipods, etc...no wonder kids are failing classses.

and their parents need to be called on those same phones telling them "I took your kids Iphone because he is distracting the class, goodbye"

and keep it moving. if the parents got a problem with it, then teach your child when to use their phone and when not.

I'm convince this new generation of parents are a bunch of spineless wimps.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
At the beginning of the class and put sticky notes on them with the students' name on it so they will know who they belong to in order to know that the students are not texting or listening to ipod in class behind the teachers' back and will probably pay more attention in class w/o their cell phones,ipods,etc. And then the teachers would give them back to the students at the end of class. Should teachers be allowed to do this?
You got to ask and we wonder why we fail as a nation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education