Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times

Advertisements

For the op: No, absolutely not. I do not want to be held responsible for someone's six hundred dollar i-phone. Do you know how many sue happy people are out there?

As for having cell phones on school grounds. Absolutely not. I have not seen any post addressing the problems I have encountered because of kids with cell phones, so here I go. I have had physical fights due to texting. I have had irate mamas show up looking to fight with kids because of kid drama. I have had fights over stolen phones. I once had a parent show up unannounced wanting to get into it with me over an "unfair" detention. And not in my school, but in our district there have been texts sent out to gang rivals over the whereabouts of an individual and dead kids as a result.

Perhaps it's not an issue in suburban, white, middle class schools, but inner city schools are constantly having problems with cell phones on school grounds. In my experience, cell phones are nothing but a pitn at best and dangerous at worst. I have said it before and I'll say it again, a properly supervised child has no need for a cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
For the op: No, absolutely not. I do not want to be held responsible for someone's six hundred dollar i-phone. Do you know how many sue happy people are out there?

As for having cell phones on school grounds. Absolutely not. I have not seen any post addressing the problems I have encountered because of kids with cell phones, so here I go. I have had physical fights due to texting. I have had irate mamas show up looking to fight with kids because of kid drama. I have had fights over stolen phones. I once had a parent show up unannounced wanting to get into it with me over an "unfair" detention. And not in my school, but in our district there have been texts sent out to gang rivals over the whereabouts of an individual and dead kids as a result.

Perhaps it's not an issue in suburban, white, middle class schools, but inner city schools are constantly having problems with cell phones on school grounds. In my experience, cell phones are nothing but a pitn at best and dangerous at worst. I have said it before and I'll say it again, a properly supervised child has no need for a cell phone.
What is that supposed to mean???

My kids don't have a cell phone for their convenience, they have one for MY convenience. They have one so I don't have to sit in a parking lot waiting for them to come home from a sporting or band activity trying to guess when they will be home. They have one so if I want to get a hold of them, I can. They are properly supervised, thank you. They are great kids.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Absolutely, and I'm so damn tired of all the whining about the need to communicate. How have kids survived going to school without cell phones for generations? Just fine, thank you, and unlike today they actually learned something.
Oh please!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Absolutely, and I'm so damn tired of all the whining about the need to communicate. How have kids survived going to school without cell phones for generations? Just fine, thank you, and unlike today they actually learned something.
And your grandparents got along fine without electricity and running water....

Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
LOL!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It is silly to expect high school students to leave phones and ipods in their lockers for the entire day.
What's so silly about expecting a child to come to class to LEARN, not to fiddle around with their toys?

You are at school to LEARN, not socialize, not download new songs or apps or anything else friviolous.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
Should teachers be allowed to do this?
Not just no, but hell no.

OK, among people who know me, my ability to hold a grudge is legendary. I'm still piszed about one of my grade school teachers doing something like this to me 30 years ago.

I had purchased a novelty pencil eraser which was probably five times the size of a normal eraser. Printed upon it was the phrase, "For Big Mistakes"... I thought it was amusing and decided to, gasp, actually use this eraser in class one day.

My teacher, nasty old shrew that she was, snatched it away from me and I never got it back. I mentioned this to my parents who were of the school that authority figures are never to be questioned. As such, they sided with her.....

See, the issue is bigger than a simple eraser. The issue is that the teacher arbitrarily decided she could confiscate, which is nothing more than a term to legitimize theft, someone else's property.

She stole property which belonged to me. Period.

As a parent now with four kids of my own, you can bet I will not simply roll over and side with the school if one of their teachers steals property belonging to one of my children.

Rant over.....

Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Exactly. And there's something to be said for not being dependent on them. Just ask anyone who has been through a hurricane or massive power outage: they know how to manage and continue with their lives rather than becoming totally helpless.

It's one thing when technology makes our lives simpler and easier to manage. It's quite another when we become so dependent on it that we cannot function without it or that it begins to interfere with our lives to the point of becoming the main focal point. If you look at a lot of people who own cell phones, they have the same addiction and dependency on them as those who smoke have on cigarettes, or that drug abusers have on drugs. That is not a healthy relationship.

Moreover, as Jess72 stated, there was a time when cell phones were not viewed as a "necessity," and everyone did just fine. Cell phones contribute to the cultivation of the "immediate gratification" plague in much the same way as fast food and, consequently, are just as detrimental to one's health.

Furthermore, while there are some students that can handle cell phones responsibly (in the same way as there are some who handle cigarettes, fast food, alcohol and drugs responsibly, i.e. in moderation), those aren't the students who bring their phones to class. So, a rule about no phones in the classroom is only punishing those students who cannot manage their phones responsibly.

Such rules are meant to prevent those students who are prone to developing an unhealthy addiction to such items from abusing them.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 PM

402 posts, read 589,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
She said he uses it to write and to express himself. This may mean that it is his means of communication. You obviously have NO clue what this means.

Would you not allow Stephen Hawkings his voice writer if you had a young Stephen Hawkings in your classroom? Would you not allow a blind student his braille writer? Would you not allow a hearing impaired student his hearing aid or a visually impaired student his glasses or contacts?
Those are devices specifically designed for people with various impairments. I find it difficult to believe that a child is unable to communicate with the use of an Apple product. I think it's just a case of the child WANTING to use those devices. Aren't there programs affiliated with schools to provide for special needs to children ot have the devices they need? When my father was superintendent, I know firsthand that the school system found a way for children to get different things that parents couldn't afford out of pocket. So I'm not buying the use of an Apple product. IEP or not.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
I think it's telling that, to some, having constant immediate phone access is truly seen as analogous to access to running water. Relax, people...it's just a phone. It's not your air supply. Being unable to access it during school hours is truly not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Your primary concern should be what's going on in school, not what's going on with your phone.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 09-25-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education