U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,983,228 times
Reputation: 1850

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
It depends, in part, on there the letters originate. Is it a student worker, a teacher, or an administrator? If it's an occasional typo, then I would let it go. If it's a specific grammatical error that happens consistently, then my smart-aleck self would probably make corrections in a red pen and send the letter back.
he, he. I wrote a note back using the same error, lol. Couldn't help myself.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
 
12,932 posts, read 19,831,249 times
Reputation: 33994
My kid's kindergarten classroom had the days of the week on the bulletin board. Monday, Tuesday, Wenesday, ugh. I pointed it out to the teacher when I just couldn't look at it anymore, but she never changed it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 PM
 
15,768 posts, read 13,205,091 times
Reputation: 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post


First, I'm not teaching grammar to fourth graders. Second, there is a difference between typing 2 sentences on a forum, and typing up a letter for 110 parents, signing your name to it, and printing it. I'm not talking about a blurb or a quick email. And this was NOT a typo... as I said... it was exactly the same on two different paragraphs, therefore the author is obviously experiencing confusion with the proper usage of verbs. Should I use grammar as an adjective again, you can then safely assume that it wasn't an error in haste, but rather an intellectual deficiency.




Yes, I've seen many mistakes in letters from the administration as well. I always just assume it's from the secratary, which I won't judge because she's not directly involved in the education of my children. I do always hope it's not from the principal, as he has a doctorate.
Really, you are in no position to complain since you didn't notice your own typos. For example, I completely missed the use of "grammar" as an adjective and only noticed the extra "the" in the first post. So it appears you made several errors. The posts above have a couple too. So what? I am sure many things I have sent out have typos one them, as well as my CD posts. Grammatical skills have an innate aptitude the way any other does, some people are naturally good at it and others are not, but it does not mean someone isn't capable of teaching the basics to children. I doubt my daughters 3rd grade math teacher took diff eq but she was fine at covering math facts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,465 posts, read 16,437,892 times
Reputation: 13174
OK, You guys should appreciate this then. I was working in a 3rd grade class as a substitute TA and the teacher was obviously a poor speller. Well some people just are. But I knew we'd hit bottom with this one when she began to teach compound words, like *butterfly* and *baseball* and then asked for more ideas. One kid raised his hand and said, "I know! Corridor."

"Good," she said, and wrote *coradoor.* I had to wonder what a *cora* is.

The sad thing about this story is that this school is in the wealthiest public school district in this city. Also, I'm not really judgmental about poor spellers b/c English is the most difficult language to be a good speller in--English speaking countries are the only ones that host spelling bees. But, if you're a third grade teacher and you know that you can't spell 3rd grade words, then for heaven's sakes, don't guess on them when you're making out the kids' spelling list. Just sayin'. (I snuck up a few minutes later and erased *coradoor* from the spelling list but it was too late--some kids had already written it down.) How would you react if your child brought that home for a spelling word?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM
 
Location: in here, out there
3,065 posts, read 5,290,639 times
Reputation: 5109
Mark up those letters with red ink and then scan the letters and post them on your blog about the failure of the American school system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,983,228 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Would you say something if letters and flyers from the school CONSISTENTLY come home with grammar and spelling errors? Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Really, you are in no position to complain since you didn't notice your own typos. For example, I completely missed the use of "grammar" as an adjective and only noticed the extra "the" in the first post.
Where, pray tell, do you see the extra "the" in my post?

You have solved my dilemma, however, as I now realize that I would rather an ignorant teacher than a delusional one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am sure many things I have sent out have typos one them, as well as my CD posts.
You are correct, you actually have a plethora of mistakes in your CD posts, I checked. I hope you haven't spread your confusion of there and their to your G/T students!

Last edited by cc0789; 09-23-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
 
15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Reputation: 15029
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
nope, this is elementary school

this time from the teacher, but often from administration

First, I'm not teaching grammar to fourth graders. Second, there is a difference between typing 2 sentences on a forum, and typing up a letter for 110 parents, signing your name to it, and printing it. I'm not talking about a blurb or a quick email. And this was NOT a typo... as I said... it was exactly the same on two different paragraphs, therefore the author is obviously experiencing confusion with the proper usage of verbs. Should I use grammar as an adjective again, you can then safely assume that it wasn't an error in haste, but rather an intellectual deficiency.


Yes, I've seen many mistakes in letters from the administration as well. I always just assume it's from the secratary, which I won't judge because she's not directly involved in the education of my children. I do always hope it's not from the principal, as he has a doctorate.
Often the secretary has a better grasp of grammar than the admin does.

We had one assistant principal (granted, English was not her first language) who made so many errors in memos that the English Department would correct them in red and send the memo back to her.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM
 
15,768 posts, read 13,205,091 times
Reputation: 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Where, pray tell, do you see the extra "the" in my post?
" Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb."

Either you have an extra "the" or you left out some words. Which ever it is, you really have no business chastising everyone else for mistakes you are making yourself.

Quote:
You have solved my dilemma, however, as I now realize that I would rather an ignorant teacher than a delusional one.
Because I think typos are typos I am delusional? Maybe you should focus less on grammar and more on vocabulary.


Quote:
You are correct, you actually have a plethora of mistakes in your CD posts, I checked. I hope you haven't spread your confusion of there and their to your G/T students!
Uhm, are you seriously chastising me for grammatical mistakes that you make as well? When YOU defended your own mistakes by claiming they were only on a CD thread? Jeez, you couldn't even spell the word "secretary" and you are upset about a "their" vs "there" swap? Especially when I am a CHEMISTRY teacher?

Wow, you are the most hypocritical person I have ever seen on the internet, congratulations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,983,228 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
"
Uhm, are you seriously chastising me for grammatical mistakes that you make as well? When YOU defended your own mistakes by claiming they were only on a CD thread? Jeez, you couldn't even spell the word "secretary" and you are upset about a "their" vs "there" swap? Especially when I am a CHEMISTRY teacher?

Wow, you are the most hypocritical person I have ever seen on the internet, congratulations.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
You chastised me, for what I still don't know. The sentence would make no sense without a "the". Stick to chemistry. Nobody is going to edit and check a CD post as they would a printed document that is to be distributed at large, errors are expected. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be alarmed that a teacher consistently makes the same errors in formal writing, and is currently teaching my child that skill.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
1,194 posts, read 1,513,983 times
Reputation: 1719
Just let it go typos happen.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top