U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,498,043 times

Advertisements

Meh...sounds like someone that is relying on spell check too much. I wouldn't say anything unless the sign out in front of the school had a major error. My husband has dyslexia so I am a bit sensitive on pointing out people's misspellings. I know how painful it was for my husband growing up and having kids make fun of him and his lovely parents telling him he was lazy. I understand my husband doesn't teach children for a living but I am just not big on pointing out small errors as typos can happen and what not.

That being said, I do have a problem with someone that is so completely critical of others writings and miss their own errors on a consistent basis. I feel less compassion for those types of folks. My SIL is probably the most critical person I have ever met in my life. She holds a Masters degree and teaches English in a high school. I used to get sick of her at family functions as she complained about moron parents and their half bred children. She also has made a lot of snide remarks behind my back on where I went to college and my "worthless degree". About a year ago she sent me a friend request on Facebook. I accepted out of obligation at that time and noticed under her employer info she completely spelled the school district wrong. The city name was missing letters and rest was written as "Pubic Shools". She has been a teacher there for over 10 years. I think this is a pretty big mistake.

Awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,642,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Would you say something if letters and flyers from the school CONSISTENTLY come home with grammar and spelling errors? Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb.
I would choose my battles. This does not seem to be a hill worth dying on, particularly when you may really be targeting the poor secretary who was attempting to proof the letter while also:

-Playing school nurse to a barfing second grader before dispensing medication to the half dozen kids who need it, taking temperatures every half hour
-Fielding phone calls that come in every two minutes for idiotic questions that could easily be looked up elsewhere
-Trying to juggle the principal's schedule and reschedule the day after some crisis requires they be out half the afternoon
-Entering the attendance and contacting all the parents who don't bother to call their child in sick to make sure they weren't abducted on the way to school
-Sending all the forgotten lunches that are delivered by parents to their respective children in classrooms
-Doing the same tasks that were once handled by three people before budget cuts

We get what we pay for. Budget cuts mean everyone working at a school has more to do and less time to do it. Don't be that person with the stick up their butt making a big issue over a typo. If you have the free time to pick nits, why don't you volunteer your time at the school instead? Be part of the solution instead of a complainer.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 PM

102 posts, read 144,106 times
What was the mistake?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 AM

15,758 posts, read 13,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
You chastised me, for what I still don't know. The sentence would make no sense without a "the". Stick to chemistry. Nobody is going to edit and check a CD post as they would a printed document that is to be distributed at large, errors are expected. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be alarmed that a teacher consistently makes the same errors in formal writing, and is currently teaching my child that skill.
The sentence:

"Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs"

makes no sense . I suspect it was supposed to say either "Today one came where there were exactly the same 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs" or "Today one came where there were the exact same 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs".

Finally, again with vocabulary, you claimed this teacher made the mistake twice, now you are claiming the teacher consistently is wrong. Which is it?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Meh...sounds like someone that is relying on spell check too much. I wouldn't say anything unless the sign out in front of the school had a major error. My husband has dyslexia so I am a bit sensitive on pointing out people's misspellings. I know how painful it was for my husband growing up and having kids make fun of him and his lovely parents telling him he was lazy. I understand my husband doesn't teach children for a living but I am just not big on pointing out small errors as typos can happen and what not.

That being said, I do have a problem with someone that is so completely critical of others writings and miss their own errors on a consistent basis. I feel less compassion for those types of folks. My SIL is probably the most critical person I have ever met in my life. She holds a Masters degree and teaches English in a high school. I used to get sick of her at family functions as she complained about moron parents and their half bred children. She also has made a lot of snide remarks behind my back on where I went to college and my "worthless degree". About a year ago she sent me a friend request on Facebook. I accepted out of obligation at that time and noticed under her employer info she completely spelled the school district wrong. The city name was missing letters and rest was written as "Pubic Shools". She has been a teacher there for over 10 years. I think this is a pretty big mistake.

Awesome
Here's the thing, though...if you struggle with spelling, you KNOW you struggle with spelling, especially once you reach the point of adult employment. Why on earth, then, when sending out documents to be read by a large audience, would you NOT have a method for having them proofread and corrected before they go out?

My math is shaky. If I have to do anything more complex than calculating percentages for student scores as a part of my job, do I run my results by somebody else to look over them and make sure I've got it right and don't come off like an idiot? You bet.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
I have to agree with the OP. An official flyer or letter from the school really should be grammatically perfect. Spelling should be triple checked as well. My son's school often sends home paperwork that contains atrocious and blatant mistakes.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
There's really no excuse. If you know something's going out to a lot of different people, do what you have to do to make sure it's correct. This shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here's the thing, though...if you struggle with spelling, you KNOW you struggle with spelling, especially once you reach the point of adult employment. Why on earth, then, when sending out documents to be read by a large audience, would you NOT have a method for having them proofread and corrected before they go out?

My math is shaky. If I have to do anything more complex than calculating percentages for student scores as a part of my job, do I run my results by somebody else to look over them and make sure I've got it right and don't come off like an idiot? You bet.
I definitely see the point in trying to make sure all written materials going out need to be as professional and well written as possible. On that same note though, teachers are human to. Mistakes happen.

I guess I would have to know exactly what the error is for me to make the determination if I thought it was a big error. I don't think the OP has provided that yet.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I definitely see the point in trying to make sure all written materials going out need to be as professional and well written as possible. On that same note though, teachers are human to. Mistakes happen.

I guess I would have to know exactly what the error is for me to make the determination if I thought it was a big error. I don't think the OP has provided that yet.
The key word in OP's post is "consistently". I think the majority of us understand the occasional typo. But there really is no excuse for it on a consistent basis.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The key word in OP's post is "consistently". I think the majority of us understand the occasional typo. But there really is no excuse for it on a consistent basis.
Hmm...good point. A consistent error does not look good. I am wondering if its a template and no one pays attention to what the letter says anymore. They just change specific information. I have seen schools do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education