U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 PM

553 posts, read 872,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour

Alternatively, why not take it offline?
My point is nobody is perfect and we should not expect teachers to be perfect. Teachers are human beings and they do not receive a "perfect" salary for their job.
Others say that teachers should be perfect. Ironically, those who say their English is so great, do mistakes in those very posts.
Now, I DID NOT SAY MY ENGLISH IS PERFECT. I did say - English is my second language.
Now it all ends up in picking in MY posts and pointing my mistakes to me.
Wow! just wow!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 03:19 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Would you say something if letters and flyers from the school CONSISTENTLY come home with grammar and spelling errors? Today one came where there were the exact 2 grammar errors on different paragraphs, and I'm not talking about a hanging participle or something vague, but a lack of a verb.
At one of the elementary schools my kids attended, flyers came home with multiple misspellings - from the admin, from the teachers, etc. After a couple weeks, I brought some of them with me and went in to see the principal.

She agreed that it was unprofessional and set a poor example for the students. They asked for parent volunteers to assist, and now have a program in place where before ANYTHING is sent out, the flyer must be double checked by someone else - most of the teachers signed up on the 'Proofreaders' list too - if one of the teachers or admin had something they needed to be proofread, they could email or call someone scheduled on the list for that day and have it given a second look before it was sent out. On the whole, it improved drastically - just knowing that someone else is going to be looking it over made many of them look it over themselves 'just one more time'.

Talk to your principal about it - but be prepared. She will smile and nod if you're just there to complain. But if you offer a solution and volunteer to help, you'll be taken seriously.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Now, if you claim you are a balerina, you are supposed to be able to dance.

I am not expecting you to understand it, just for the record.
Again. Irony. I love it. Or is it hypocrisy? Or both?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
Quote:
My point is nobody is perfect and we should not expect teachers to be perfect. Teachers are human beings and they do not receive a "perfect" salary for their job.
Others say that teachers should be perfect. Ironically, those who say their English is so great, do mistakes in those very posts.
Now, I DID NOT SAY MY ENGLISH IS PERFECT. I did say - English is my second language.
Now it all ends up in picking in MY posts and pointing my mistakes to me.
Wow! just wow!
MY point is that all of us have acknowledged that the occasional error in grammar or spelling is fine. We all make mistakes. However, consistent errors from an educational institution is not acceptable.

It effects the way the teacher/school/administration is viewed when they cannot be bothered to correct their grammar/spelling.

Furthermore, it has "turned to you" because you are sitting there making fun of others' grammar issues even though yours is not that great.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM

872 posts, read 2,551,174 times
Quote:
THE HIGHLITED SENTENCE HAS AN ERROR CALLED A COMMA SPLICE
(Use a comma alone between two independent clauses).

It used to be a capital sin in our composition class...

Now tell me more about your skills with words....

...Did I tell English is not my native language?
It is not a comma splice due to the use of the word "then" at the beginning of the second independent clause.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:21 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I see this all the time with our schools, too. It does bother me, but I just try to let it go. Choose your battles, as they say.

I came very close to NOT letting it go a few weeks ago when we received a mass email sent directly from the principal of our oldest son's high school. The email was sent out to all parents. It had numerous typos and included internet slang. I'm not joking.

And something else: he did not BCC everyone - so all parents in the school now have all other parents email addresses.
Seriously. I couldn't believe it.
Boy, does that bother me! It's all about courtesy. What are all these administrators and support staff doing, if not checking on email protocol and outgoing communication???

Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
At one of the elementary schools my kids attended, flyers came home with multiple misspellings - from the admin, from the teachers, etc. After a couple weeks, I brought some of them with me and went in to see the principal.

She agreed that it was unprofessional and set a poor example for the students. They asked for parent volunteers to assist, and now have a program in place where before ANYTHING is sent out, the flyer must be double checked by someone else - most of the teachers signed up on the 'Proofreaders' list too - if one of the teachers or admin had something they needed to be proofread, they could email or call someone scheduled on the list for that day and have it given a second look before it was sent out. On the whole, it improved drastically - just knowing that someone else is going to be looking it over made many of them look it over themselves 'just one more time'.

Talk to your principal about it - but be prepared. She will smile and nod if you're just there to complain. But if you offer a solution and volunteer to help, you'll be taken seriously.
Again I ask....what do all those administrators DO??? WHY do we need PARENTS to pick up the slack??? I suppose if parents want to do it, fine, but this just seems like a basic fuction of the front admin staff.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,771,707 times
I'm jumping in with a few obvious comments:

1. Professionalism
Repeated, egregious errors in spelling, grammar, usage, and mechanics reflect poorly on the educational level of the speaker or writer; therefore, those errors are even more serious when they emerge from the pen or the mouth of a teacher or administrator.

2. Reasonable Reactions
Parents have a right to be concerned about their children's teachers' subject matter mastery in any case. When (for example) an English teacher makes repeated, egregious errors that cannot simply be explained, however generously, as typos, it is legitimate cause for concern.

That said, we all make mistakes.

3. Approaches for Teachers
Proofread everything you intend to send to the general public or students' parents, and when you believe you've found every error, have someone else -- specifically, the pickiest, most anal-retentive person you happen to know -- look it over and provide specific feedback.

4. Approaches for Parents
If the errors are numerous and egregious and frequent -- that is, on more than just one or two newsletters or handouts AND you are seriously concerned or convinced that your child is not being taught by a teacher who is truly qualified to teach her or his subject, approach the principal to voice your concerns. If your concern is genuine and valid, it is highly likely that you have other data besides the 3+ newsletters or public communications to parents to ground your concern in evidence. Bring that also. Ask if it is possible that your student be switched to another teacher. Avoid words that are inflammatory and condemnatory and keep the discussion professional.

Hope these ideas help.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM

553 posts, read 872,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
It is not a comma splice due to the use of the word "then" at the beginning of the second independent clause.
Nope.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Again I ask....what do all those administrators DO??? WHY do we need PARENTS to pick up the slack??? I suppose if parents want to do it, fine, but this just seems like a basic fuction of the front admin staff.
And this is a very good question. In my professional life, we went to a lot of trouble to ensure that anything written was as error free as possible. Did we make the odd mistake? Absolutely. Did we make systematic mistakes? Absolutely not. And we were accountants, not educators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education