U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

69 posts, read 182,316 times

Advertisements

I am re posting this message in this section hoping to get better response

I have a son 4 year old with Autism (milder side), We live in Jersey City zipcode 07305, Doctor recommended inclusive class with ABA teacher - I have some questions

* What are the policies for selecting a school, Can parents choose from list of available schools? or we have to go with whatever they give us? can we ask for out of district schools?
* Do you know of any online/offline parents support group in jersey city?
* What is the best school district for children with autism in New Jersey or Tristate area?
* Do you know of any good website(s) that provide more information about autism (I know that there are plenty online but looking for useful onces)

Thanks for reading my post and sharing your experiences

Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 AM

572 posts, read 1,107,271 times
My friend was stationed at Monmouth, I can ask her how they did autism services there. In my general experience:
- Most districts centralize autism services, and have a school that specializes in autism. Usually they will send students to that particular school. That being said you don't have to go with what they give you, especially if the placement isn't what you want. You can ask for out of district school.
- Don't know
- Don't know
- YES-- Autism Speaks, Autism Society of America (look up Jersey, they usually have regional/state organizations-- they will also be a fantastic resource for you about the school districts), try Yahoo Groups, Meet Up, if you are military American Military Family Autism Support (AMFAS), TACA (Talk About Curing Autism) there are so many support groups out there it's unreal-- you don't have to do this alone. If you are newly diagnosed, Autism Speaks has a really great pamphlet about the first 100 days of a diagnosis, I highly recommend it. The best resource is your diagnosing physician. Call up the nurse and ask for support group information.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM

69 posts, read 182,316 times
Thanks for the response. Please let me know your friends experience in Monmouth

Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM

12,603 posts, read 28,020,672 times
Please continue this conversation here: Autism-Inclusive ABA-Advice Needed - Please READ

It is against the terms of service for this site to cross post.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or