U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 PM

553 posts, read 872,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You have to pick your battles in life. Is this one worth fighting?
Seems like this one is the one that the OP finds worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Without knowing the entire situation, I'd say you should probably contact the right authority or simply bypass the "correct" authority figure and simply go to the President of the University.

True story: When I was in college I had a professor who espoused his political beliefs every class period and blatantly criticized any student who disagreed with him. I went to the "correct" authority figure, the department chair but he did nothing except tell me what an *excellent* professor so-and-so was. What did I do? Requested a meeting with the President of the University to which I was denied repeatedly (basically it was not worth his time to meet with me).

Just so happened, I was very good friends with the editor of the school newspaper and had him publish a little letter to the editor I had written about my professor to which I attached my name in big BOLD letters. In my letter, I compared my professor to Joseph Goebbels (Hitler's Minister of Propaganda). Well this QUICKLY made it to the desk of the President and I was phoned at 8 a.m. after the paper had been distributed across campus and the President DEMANDED to see me. Of course I happily went to his office and he was absolutely red in the face and even threatened my expulsion (hmm...freedom of the press?). In the course of our meeting, I told him about the professor but he simply gave me the same story about how professor so-and-so had been with the University X number of years and was a well respected member of the faculty. Blah blah blah. At the end, he DEMANDED I write an apology letter for all the student body to see.

Next week the paper came out and it had my apology letter on the FRONT page. It was one line with my name attached at the bottom:

"I would like to deeply and sincerely apologize to Joseph Goebbels for befouling and disgracing his good name by comparing him to Professor X"

I never heard from the President of the University again in the rest of my years there. He understood me.

Moral of my story: Don't EVER be afraid to challenge a professor. Never back down from your beliefs, if you see something funny about a situation, call them on it! Go to a higher authority and if they don't listen...take matters into your own hands (nothing illegal though).
What great advise to people who want to earn a reputation of pain in the *** and complete their program without a single person in the University willing to give them a recommendation letter!

Also, before "challenging professor" , you should probably look around and make sure other people in the class want to listen to your view points. Chances are, nobody does.

Last edited by Dressy; 10-08-2011 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that's interesting.

Nim, any chance she's doing something else with this whole exercise? Slide in a little lecture about lemmings and group mentality. Anything? Keep us posted, please.
She totally collected money in our last class. I asked her if I could give her the $5 after class, and then "forgot" lol. Call me evil. If she docks my grade then oh well. I wasn't the only student who didn't pay. Half the class "forgot" but our professor couldn't take a hint. She literally wrote down a list and asked people to drop off the $5 in her mailbox.

I think it's weird she's collecting cash and not asking us to write out checks to the organization or use PayPal or some sort of method that ensures the money is going to the cause.

One thing I did find out that is even stranger is that all the Deaf Studies classes do this, regardless of the professor, and they do it every year. It sounds like whoever's idea this was was a higher-up, but what confuses me is that the professors seem all for it. Anyway, having found that out, I don't think going over my professor's head will do any good because it seems like that's where it's stemming from.

I guess in the end it's not a battle worth fighting but at the very least this thread helped confirm that I'm not nuts for thinking it's a little unethical.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM

5,199 posts, read 4,204,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
This is college level.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

I agree Mustang--if there was a direct correlation between one organization we researched, and we each donated our own money to our own organization, I'd be much more okay with it.

I'm not really sure how she's going to collect the money, or if she will at all. I don't know if we're expected to just click on the "donate" button on the website or if we are going to be passing around a basket in class. If it's a matter of just clicking on the button, I think I will just not do it and hope it goes unnoticed.

I mentioned I didn't feel comfortable with this on the evaluations today (they were anonymous). Should I do more about it or is that enough?
I would DEFINITELY report this to a high-level college official, and I agree it is grossly unethical.

It is possible that this is some sort of sociology or psychology experiment that really does not involve donation of money when all is said and done, but if that is the case it will do no harm to report it. We already know how people react in obedience to authority figures through Stanley Milgram's experiments at Yale, and I would almost think this would be an interesting corollary--except that most colleges today are simply too liberal to understand that coerced donations, even for a good cause, are inherently unethical.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM

It's not. I talked to people that took this class last year, and the year before, and as long as 4 years ago. They all said it's done every year and that's all there is to it. It's not some psychological experiment. They were never given their money back or patted on the back for standing up for their beliefs. That said, it's not just my professor. It's someone else's idea cause all the classes do it.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM

My classmate just sent an email to the Dean. Guess we'll see where that takes us. My only concern is I think he made it about our professor specifically and they might argue that technicality instead of actually getting the point.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,906,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not. I talked to people that took this class last year, and the year before, and as long as 4 years ago. They all said it's done every year and that's all there is to it. It's not some psychological experiment. They were never given their money back or patted on the back for standing up for their beliefs. That said, it's not just my professor. It's someone else's idea cause all the classes do it.
In that case, the administration probably knows about it already. Perhaps it is done with their tacit approval. I don't know if there is a board of trustees or something to hold the administration accountable, but then, they may know too. I've never heard of the instructors routinely shaking down their students. That makes me question the school culture there. It may just be the tip of the iceberg as far as questionable practices go.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,160,797 times
No.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Oh yeh....it's totally wrong....I'd want to look into it, just to see that ALL the money was donated to charity...especially to see if the money was extorted.....the whole idea stinks...I can't believe this has been allowed to go on for years.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 AM

4,472 posts, read 5,126,060 times
Oh dang at the college level your going to need that money for hookers and booze.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,946 times
Default Schools Blackmail us to donate to Relay for Life and Hoops for Heart

Last year my son insisted I give money to Relay for Life. Normally I do not because the CEO makes over 800k and too much of their "research" money is ultimately going to Big Pharma. This time I did because he was so anxious about it. I later found out that those who did not give did not participate in the relay. My daughter added that the same was true for Hoops, with the non givers sitting on the sidelines. This year I am just letting my kids skip that day and complaining to the Superintendent. I was an education major and this is discrimination against poor children, not to mention those of us who read about the charities first. It is also blackmail and humiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or