U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,238,720 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I have a question.

I was wondering if you thought that donating money as part of a required school assignment is ethical. I am taking a class and one of our assignments is to donate money. I don't really feel comfortable with this, and on our class evaluation, I (anonymously) mentioned my unease.

1) We selected 20 organizations to research and handed in the research.

Our professor handed back the research. Almost everyone had organizations crossed out that she didn't approve of.

2) We then narrowed it down to three organizations and handed it in again.

I am not sure if she is going to eliminate more organizations or not at this point.

3) Then we will give a presentation on one organization of our choice.

4) The entire class will watch each student's presentation and vote on which organization is the most worthy of donating to and that organization will be the organization everyone will donate to.

Do you think it's ethical to have students donate money as part of a school assignment? The first 20 organizations each student came up with was their own choice, but she crossed out many of the ones she didn't like and lectured us about how we were "missing the point". Then we will be voting, and whoever votes majority is going to be the organization that wins. What if 12 out of 20 students vote for one organization and 8 out of 20 vote for another? Aren't 8 students going to be stuck giving their money to an organization they don't care for?

Also, does the amount of money required make a difference to you? If you think this is okay up until a certain amount, what about of money do you think is okay? How much would be too much?

Thanks for your input. I just want to know if I'm the only one that thinks this is kind of unethical, particularly because we only have some control over where our money goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,473,379 times
I don't think it's right to coerce people to donate money to an organization they may not wish to donate to, especially if the teacher is 'guiding' the choices by marking a bunch of them off the list. I can't help but wonder, who gets to use this donation as a tax deduction? each individual for their contribution or the teacher for the entire amount?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,851,621 times
I think its unethical. Making students work to raise money on the other hand.... I think is ok.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,260,504 times
No, it's not ethical; it's an exploitative abuse of power. The prof is using her position to force her political beliefs onto students. While many profs are often accused of indoctrination, this is so blatant that it should be reported.

I have seen this happening more and more, although on college campuses. I've actually dropped a class in which a prof required the completion of community service by each student, and the community service didn't even have anything to do with our major--it was a political cause that the prof strongly supported.

However, if you are in high school, you may not have the same ability to not participate in the required activity, although I would still bring it to the attention of parents and/or the school principal. If you are in college and weren't able to drop the class before finding out, then I just wouldn't make a donation; I would also bring it to the attention of the department head and/or dean b/c it is definitely unethical.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

This is college level.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

I agree Mustang--if there was a direct correlation between one organization we researched, and we each donated our own money to our own organization, I'd be much more okay with it.

I'm not really sure how she's going to collect the money, or if she will at all. I don't know if we're expected to just click on the "donate" button on the website or if we are going to be passing around a basket in class. If it's a matter of just clicking on the button, I think I will just not do it and hope it goes unnoticed.

I mentioned I didn't feel comfortable with this on the evaluations today (they were anonymous). Should I do more about it or is that enough?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,179,751 times
It's probably against the rules.... Check

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
I'm more curious about what class this is....sounds like there might be more to this than meets the eye.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,930,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm more curious about what class this is....sounds like there might be more to this than meets the eye.
Yes, me too. What is this "experiment" supposed to prove exactly? Also, what was the reasoning why she said "you guys are missing the point" when she was crossing the others off the list?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM

3,019 posts, read 3,125,604 times
Ethical?

Requiring students to donate money. . . .

Since most college students are either in college because

01 Their parents donated money to them to go

02 They recieved donated money in the form of federal pell grants and financial aid

or

03 Are using donated money to secure low interest, federally back student
"loans".

I say go ahead and require some of them to "donate" some money since their entire college experience is already being financed by money that might as well be considered donated.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a deaf studies class and she crossed out any organizations that had to do with helping give hearing aids to deaf people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or