U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM

85,052 posts, read 99,039,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It always seems like a great idea to teach life skills in school until you realize that the schools themselves really don't have any idea most of the time or aren't keeping up with the latest.
Agreed! We already have a thread going about some dipstick state senator who wants to eliminate public education b/c the schools are doing too much parenting, and now we have this one about adding some more "life skills". When are the schools supposed to teach reading, writing, math, science, etc if they're teaching this kind of stuff?

There is plenty of information on the web about resume-writing. Frankly, I think expecting a resume from a high school student is a bit much. As Linda_d stated, what have these kids really done? Filling out the app. should be sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM

639 posts, read 905,767 times
No I don't think job search education is appropriate for 11th or 12th grade. Not many jobs out there these days that only require a high school diploma other than retail or custodial work. Let the students learn about job search education in college or trade school when the time is right. If one decides not to attend college or trade school then they should discuss there options with a guidance counselor.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I believe that secondary schools should devote one semester in the 11th or 12th grade to teach kids how to successfully search for employment. These are basic skills that they will need to have for the rest of their lives so it should be mandated curriculum.

The kids can learn how to write resumes, cover letters, fill out job applications, write business appropriate emails. You name it.

What do you think?
I think it is more important to learn about art, diversity, English literature, and especially government/politician approved history.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM

639 posts, read 905,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed! We already have a thread going about some dipstick state senator who wants to eliminate public education b/c the schools are doing too much parenting, and now we have this one about adding some more "life skills". When are the schools supposed to teach reading, writing, math, science, etc if they're teaching this kind of stuff?

There is plenty of information on the web about resume-writing. Frankly, I think expecting a resume from a high school student is a bit much. As Linda_d stated, what have these kids really done? Filling out the app. should be sufficient.
LOL what is "life skills" anyway? I do think a personal finance course may be beneficial for junior or senior high school students. But life skills..does that consist of courses in street smarts, common sense, and cleaning? Hehe People can't be serious about resume writing courses in high school, that's for college and trade school!

I guess home economics is considered more a life skill subject, which is still taught in many schools these days or I think. I wouldn't go as far to say it should be taught every year or replace math and science. Most people can teach themselves to cook and sew if they waned to when they have the time, unless they want to be a chef or sewer.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 PM

183 posts, read 212,583 times
Quote:
^^On this issue, I am merely expressing my opinion. I know plenty of adults with lots of credit card debt. They model their kids.
Yet you want these same parents teaching their children basic finance?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,257,681 times
Quote:
I believe that secondary schools should devote one semester in the 11th or 12th grade to teach kids how to successfully search for employment. These are basic skills that they will need to have for the rest of their lives so it should be mandated curriculum.

The kids can learn how to write resumes, cover letters, fill out job applications, write business appropriate emails. You name it.

What do you think?
Yes, because no matter what you decide to go into, this is a skill that is important.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Yet you want these same parents teaching their children basic finance?

Did I say I wanted that? No. (Go back a few posts.)

Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,526,936 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I do all of these things in a jobs skills class I teach on an ongoing basis, in addition to the core coursework I teach.

I teach emotionally and behaviorally disturbed students and students with developmental disabilities and neurological impairments. The standard assumption is that students with IEPs and transition plans (the part of the IEP that requires you to prepare the student for whatever level of training, employment and independent living after high school that they are targeting) really need this type of curriculum. The truth is, students without IEPs need it just as badly.

Unfortunately, I work with many teachers who cannot properly write resumes, cover letters, write anything in a business-appropriate manner, etc. A shame.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,526,936 times
Quote:
...now we have this one about adding some more "life skills". When are the schools supposed to teach reading, writing, math, science, etc if they're teaching this kind of stuff?
You can easily teach reading, writing, math, and science within the functional context of life skills. I do it every day. Students' ability to generalize their skills in a functional manner is evidence the skills have actually been attained, versus just memorized for one-time regurgitation. The entire point of learning is to then be able to apply the skills in a meaningful way.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You can easily teach reading, writing, math, and science within the functional context of life skills. I do it every day. Students' ability to generalize their skills in a functional manner is evidence the skills have actually been attained, versus just memorized for one-time regurgitation. The entire point of learning is to then be able to apply the skills in a meaningful way.
Some subjects, e.g. advanced maths, advanced sciences, various high level humanities courses do not lend themselves to teaching students how to balance a checkbook, write a resume, rent an apt, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or