U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,484,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Taught me and I use it to teach and help others with work out routines, quick "remedies for injuries" etc...

How many people attend gyms? How many people pay personal trainers to teach them stuff that most highschool kids learned and used during running, agility, and weight training? Won't say PE did a great job of that.

I bet more then people that travel and see museums.

Also afterschool activities also provide some school spirit imo... Also teach some discilpline lessons. I am not against afterschool programs raising a little more of their own money.

I played sports, and I don't watch or even follow any sports on TV, never understood the joy of watching people play sports on TV.
Ah, the old, I don't like it so it isn't necessary argument. There are a lot of places where sports keeps kids in school. Also, in MOST areas, the kids that are involved in sports are your top students. Also, around here, every sport has a booster club and has to raise money but if you examine a school budget you will find that sports take up a VERY, VERY small percentage of that budget overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The teachers can be people who have worked in HR for several different companies and have had to read tons of crappy resumes and sit through terrible job interviews.

You say they have workshops for to learn job and life skills but I simply say workshops are not enough. I see nothing wrong with spending a semester drilling these important skills into the kids' heads. It's better they learn this stuff in school then having to learn on the fly and be behind the curve in the real world.
The reality of this is though, you can teach these skills all you want, the kids that don't care are still going to be crappy in interviews, write crappy resumes, etc.

I also say, where are the PARENTS in all of this? These are skills we learned from our parents. Schools can't do everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,968,527 times
Quote:
Taught me and I use it to teach and help others with work out routines, quick "remedies for injuries" etc...

How many people attend gyms? How many people pay personal trainers to teach them stuff that most highschool kids learned and used during running, agility, and weight training? Won't say PE did a great job of that.

I bet more then people that travel and see museums.

Also afterschool activities also provide some school spirit imo... Also teach some discilpline lessons. I am not against afterschool programs raising a little more of their own money.

I played sports, and I don't watch or even follow any sports on TV, never understood the joy of watching people play sports on TV.
My post is probably influenced by a recent occurrence in my area. Teachers are being made redundant due to the economy but my town just overlayed our grassy high school football field with astroturf for the tune of almost $2million. I might think differently if the school had a great scholastic record, but it does not. I think the future of our country will depend on people with brains and vision, something that scholastic and creative fields engender. Brawn, you can get anywhere - yeah, I guess our armed services find people with brawn useful but even there, more and more, the emphasis is on knowledge.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,968,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I also say, where are the PARENTS in all of this? These are skills we learned from our parents. Schools can't do everything.
There you go. Make PhysEd an elective during the last year of high school. Have two of the competing choices 'Personal Finance' and 'Effective Parenting'.

I think this is a good idea.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

12,457 posts, read 27,130,022 times
Here's the problem with these types of threads, many school districts do whatever is being suggested. In my school district, athletics is not emphasized, gym is required but it's just one semester each year and then just two or three days a week. The smart kids might or might not be athletes. Some may be in band, some may just work a job after school. Across the US are thousands of different schools and school districts and all of them have their good and bad classes, curriculum's, etc. You can say, I wish my school did this or that, but it makes no sense to say that all schools should do this or that because inevitably some ARE doing that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,137,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

It's a skill that is taught in almost every college, so maybe you mean it for just kids not going to college. .
Not necessarily true. Also, kids should also learn basic "common sense" things like making a budget and balancing a checkbook.

You creatively put these into the classes it makes sense in: resume/English; budge/Math.

Yes, I taught. Yes, my district did it.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,225,887 times
Quote:
Agreed, but I think some other "Life Lesson" stuff shoudl be taught, basic finances, resume, job etiquette, basic taxes, etc...
Ok, same question applies.

What are we supposed to cut out to teach that stuff?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM

8,021 posts, read 6,246,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok, same question applies.

What are we supposed to cut out to teach that stuff?
And what upper class elective do schools have that are more important then job skills? Even for just a semester? Surely they can sacrifice one semester of foreign language or art.

When I was in high school, my counselor signed me up for music history in my first semester of senior year for some reason. I left that class and got into an Econ class.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,301,647 times
Quote:
I believe that secondary schools should devote one semester in the 11th or 12th grade to teach kids how to successfully search for employment. These are basic skills that they will need to have for the rest of their lives so it should be mandated curriculum.

The kids can learn how to write resumes, cover letters, fill out job applications, write business appropriate emails. You name it.

What do you think?
When did it stop being part of the normal curriculum? It was a required semester-long class for us for high school graduation.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

8,021 posts, read 6,246,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
When did it stop being part of the normal curriculum? It was a required semester-long class for us for high school graduation.
Not all schools have it as part of their required curriculum.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,225,887 times
Quote:
And what upper class elective do schools have that are more important then job skills? Even for just a semester? Surely they can sacrifice one semester of foreign language or art.

When I was in high school, my counselor signed me up for music history in my first semester of senior year for some reason. I left that class and got into an Econ class.
My school does not offer art and foreign languages stop after junior year.

The major elective is whether to take systems engineering or marine research, both of which are requirements to graduate. The other elective is to take either AP env science or AP physics, another graduation requirement.

And not for nothing, but these things are what make my school unique. This is the problem with "ought to be"s, they do not fit in ALL programs.

Make it an elective if you want but NONE of my students are lacking in basic job skills, and the loss of an advanced class for basic skills is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or