U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,195,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You have no idea what I do or how many engineers or scientist I know or work with. Interesting that you would just assume you know more. And yes, bad credit etc does have a lot to do with personal choices...and personal choices can be influenced by.....EDUCATION! Funny how that works....same as with teaching health or anything else. Education is a wonderful thing....Just because people are intelligent, does not mean they have common sense or truly understand that paying bills late can have implications to their employment. There are those who feel that they are so busy doing "important" things that the bills can wait. That's great that you haven't seen it. You are in a different position that I am. I have seen it.
1. I am assuming I know more scientists for three reasons. First, I am a scientist and work at a fairly large research institution. Also, I graduated from a very large science and engineering university in a field where scientists and engineers work together more than the norm. Finally, I also teach at a science and engineering school, in a district devoted to science and engineering. I probably know far more scientists and engineers than the average person based on my those reasons. It is possible that you know more, just unlikely.

2. Health is not an apt analogy. Health effects high school students in their immediate future and present. Your own examples would not be applicable to those students I spoke of for at least 4 years. You are expecting them to retain information half a decade down the road from a single course given to them well before it was relevant to their lives.

3. The fact that you have "seen it" and others have not proves my point. SOME people need this course. OTHERS do not. That is the definition of a ELECTIVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:05 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,850,056 times
I am just saying, I have come across a lot of people I have had to help with stuff. My own mom even, she is going through a divorce and knows nothing of finances. I have friends that are don't understand, and just sort of shun the stuff. I have forced my wife to learn a lot of finance things, so we can make decisions together, and not just put them on me.

I think its important to teach and run kids through numbers. Let them understand retirement accounts, credit cards, loans, etc....

Especially student loans. Compare how much a 10 year loan costs vs a 20 year loan.

And FWIW, I have written 1 check in the last year.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,195,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I am just saying, I have come across a lot of people I have had to help with stuff. My own mom even, she is going through a divorce and knows nothing of finances. I have friends that are don't understand, and just sort of shun the stuff. I have forced my wife to learn a lot of finance things, so we can make decisions together, and not just put them on me.

I think its important to teach and run kids through numbers. Let them understand retirement accounts, credit cards, loans, etc....

Especially student loans. Compare how much a 10 year loan costs vs a 20 year loan.

And FWIW, I have written 1 check in the last year.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
So because you know "a lot of people" who need to educate themselves now every single person has to take a required course on these skills YEARS before they will use them? The typical student will not be in position to start a retirement account until some 5 to 6 years after the proposed required course. The typically teen will have to wait more than 10 years until they take out a mortgage. Is HIGH SCHOOL really the place to require a course full of information to be utilized a decade down the road?? That is like teaching 7 year olds sex ed and expecting them to retain that information.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 PM

973 posts, read 1,442,395 times
Haven't read the entire thread, sorry, but for our regular junior English students who are not thought to go onto college, I put together a Life Skills Portfolio that they work on this next nine weeks and part of it leads to a job search, career tests and a research paper on their chosen field (which I know can be boring, but hope springs eternal!).

In the portfolio they write thank-you and sympathy notes; business letters and properly addressed envelops (and yes this is a dying form of communication, but it is still being done!); proper emails; cover letters, resumes, follow up letters; and fill out a Taco Bell application. We have mock interviews set up, too, but not too sure we can get those done this year due to having an 8 week, nine week period. Then next nine weeks, they will take two personality tests and then a career test, hopefully finding what they may be good at and actually like. Then they will research, job shadow for a day that will include interviewing the person and writing a paper. And will end with an oral presentation on their findings. All of these skills are in our Sunshine State Standards for 11th grade English.

I think that writing and communication are important skills and to be honest, many do not have parents who will teach them the etiquette of thank-you notes. But this isn't the only things that we cover, for there is still American literature which is the real focus of the course, but much to their chagrin!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM

85,020 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So because you know "a lot of people" who need to educate themselves now every single person has to take a required course on these skills YEARS before they will use them? The typical student will not be in position to start a retirement account until some 5 to 6 years after the proposed required course. The typically teen will have to wait more than 10 years until they take out a mortgage. Is HIGH SCHOOL really the place to require a course full of information to be utilized a decade down the road?? That is like teaching 7 year olds sex ed and expecting them to retain that information.
This is my issue with the finance courses as well. My DD started an IRA with her first professional job, at age 25. In the world of finance, the rules change frequently. What is "true" today may be the wrong thing next year, let alone five to ten years down the road.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
Yes, teaching high schoolers basic consumer economics is EXACTLY like teaching 7-year olds sex ed.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,097,479 times
My son's college has a required Financial class: Financial Sophistication | Champlain College Looks like some of it can be done on-line.

While I was looking for that info, I also came across this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/yo...pagewanted=all
Quote:
An education is one of the best defenses against financial flimflam, but many students never learn the things that help. Only a handful of states require schools to teach basic personal finance, and it’s often of the old-fashioned, balancing-the-checkbook variety. Also, it tends to come at a stage in life when students are years away from putting the knowledge to practical use.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 AM

973 posts, read 1,442,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, teaching high schoolers basic consumer economics is EXACTLY like teaching 7-year olds sex ed.
But this is a requirement of Florida high school seniors; and as far as I know, due to the teachers teaching it, the kids LOVE it and learn about the stock market via the stock market game and what is needed to survive, I mean live, by having them get the ave. salary of the job they want, and then research where they want to live, and then go to sites of that city to find out prices of rent, utililities, food etc. The kids also draw out papers that tell if they will be single in doing this or have a partner, and if they have one, the two work together. TO me this is a very valid exercise.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Also, it tends to come at a stage in life when students are years away from putting the knowledge to practical use.
I think this is key.

I think time would be better spent teaching balancing the checkbook, simple budgeting of one's earnings (so much for clothes, so much for movies, so much for gas), stuff the kids will use now. I see no point in teaching investment strategies, or in encouraging high school kids to invest their meager earnings. I always felt the idea of a part-time job in HS was for the kids to earn money for things they needed at the time.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
But this is a requirement of Florida high school seniors; and as far as I know, due to the teachers teaching it, the kids LOVE it and learn about the stock market via the stock market game and what is needed to survive, I mean live, by having them get the ave. salary of the job they want, and then research where they want to live, and then go to sites of that city to find out prices of rent, utililities, food etc. The kids also draw out papers that tell if they will be single in doing this or have a partner, and if they have one, the two work together. TO me this is a very valid exercise.
Is there any evidence that learning this stuff has any positive outcome? IIRC, Florida's housing market is a mess; perhaps some lessons can't be learned in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or