U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,853,192 times

Advertisements

Is there any evidence showing Shakespeare has any worth?, the US and Florida have horrible had bad education numbers.(no I am not serious, about this statement)

I love the thought... There are financial problems, that's the reason why we shouldn't teach our youth about it so they can make the same mistakes.

I am not talking teach them financial strategy. Explain basic budgeting, how to track spending. The benefits of investing, the REAL costs of a loan. How that $20 extra a month you don't know where it came fro on a car loan can be an extra $1k in add ons the dealer is slipping in.

That a loan and lease are different. How quick credit card debt can kill you.

I am 29. I worked with a lot of people at the college level, and it was amazing how clueless they were.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM

35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
But this is a requirement of Florida high school seniors; and as far as I know, due to the teachers teaching it, the kids LOVE it and learn about the stock market via the stock market game and what is needed to survive, I mean live, by having them get the ave. salary of the job they want, and then research where they want to live, and then go to sites of that city to find out prices of rent, utililities, food etc. The kids also draw out papers that tell if they will be single in doing this or have a partner, and if they have one, the two work together. TO me this is a very valid exercise.
Yes, I agree. Consumer economics is and was a requirement of seniors in the state I grew up in, as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Is there any evidence showing Shakespeare has any worth?, the US and Florida have horrible had bad education numbers.(no I am not serious, about this statement)

I love the thought... There are financial problems, that's the reason why we shouldn't teach our youth about it so they can make the same mistakes.

I am not talking teach them financial strategy. Explain basic budgeting, how to track spending. The benefits of investing, the REAL costs of a loan. How that $20 extra a month you don't know where it came fro on a car loan can be an extra $1k in add ons the dealer is slipping in.

That a loan and lease are different. How quick credit card debt can kill you.

I am 29. I worked with a lot of people at the college level, and it was amazing how clueless they were.

Well, it seems like you could measure the outcome of financial education, e.g. more people making good decisions, less bankruptcy, credit card debt, whatever.

Your second paragraph misstates what I said. If FL has been doing this a while, shouldn't there be some measurable results. As far as Shakespeare, measurable result might be to test how much Shakespeare one knows. Not all education has to have a practical application.

High school kids are still years away from actually having to use this knowledge. I'm tired of hearing people put down college educated people. They (we) are not usually the ones in a financial mess, though I know there are exceptions.

And there is still the issue of whose values you are going to teach. My kids are beyond that, but I wouldn't have wanted someone telling them that "you have to have credit to get credit, so charge away", or "it always makes sense to buy a house, even if you have to overextend yourself", etc.

Shortly before my daughter graduated from grad school, car prices were low and my DH said something to her about "now would be a good time to buy a new car". She reminded him she had no income, and he said, "yeah, I guess the time to buy a car is when it's right for YOU".

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, it seems like you could measure the outcome of financial education, e.g. more people making good decisions, less bankruptcy, credit card debt, whatever.

Your second paragraph misstates what I said. If FL has been doing this a while, shouldn't there be some measurable results. As far as Shakespeare, measurable result might be to test how much Shakespeare one knows. Not all education has to have a practical application.

High school kids are still years away from actually having to use this knowledge. I'm tired of hearing people put down college educated people. They (we) are not usually the ones in a financial mess, though I know there are exceptions.

And there is still the issue of whose values you are going to teach. My kids are beyond that, but I wouldn't have wanted someone telling them that "you have to have credit to get credit, so charge away", or "it always makes sense to buy a house, even if you have to overextend yourself", etc.

Shortly before my daughter graduated from grad school, car prices were low and my DH said something to her about "now would be a good time to buy a new car". She reminded him she had no income, and he said, "yeah, I guess the time to buy a car is when it's right for YOU".
Ok, so lets throw in that the majority of Florida is transplants. How many Puerto Ricans, are transplants form outside the traditional US. How many New Englanders? Hell FL was full of "New Youricans" Puerto Ricans that lived in New York for a year, then moved to FL.

Along with all the other from other states. They recieved educations from other states, and moved there and had issues. That will severely skew the numbers of the actual students in that state. If I remember numbers, it was something like nearly half a million people moved to FL a year from other states.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, and Daytona, and my Wife grew up and is from Tampa. We have family and friends from all over. My family was 100% transplants, except for my 1 year old son(we moved 3 months after his birth), and my wife, no one in my family was born there.

Majority of the state is transplants.

What is the purpose of schools if its not to educate kids. I understand a certain degree of we teach them to learn, but at the same time why not face them with practical things in life and prep them slightly. Not worried about making them experts.

I think our country needs to quite pushing, go to school, get to college, go to college. They need to focus on more, of, you need to live your life, what do you want, what are you going to have to do to get to where you want.

You don't want college, fine get a good job, figure the money you will need and more.

You want college, pick a major you enjoy and also consider the job prospects.

Maybe we can stop deadbeats on wallstreet holding signs about $60k in debt with a liberal arts bachelor degree, working at starbucks, and you see a new Macbook behind them, and the new Iphone in their pocket, with full data plan Crying about being the 99%.

Also for the record, I was educated in FL, I saw the job prospects for what I wanted, left the state, went to a state that I feel will be doing well in a long term, got a good job, saved some money, living well within our means, cut things like Cable TV out of our lives, paid off both our cars, and currently buying a house, currently paying down student loan debts on the quickest schedule. Also our 401ks are filling up(now is the time to buy!)

Did this without a Bachelors degree even.

Yet I see hordes of people in big debt, working retail jobs, roaming the streets. Maybe if they were educated in FL(can't believe I said that) we woudln't be having this mess.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,263,909 times
Heck. My eighth teacher did that and it took all of two days. To wit:

1. Follow standard form with your resume.
2. Write a good cover letter without grammatical and spelling errors.
3. Show up five minutes early for your appointment, properly dressed and groomed.
4. Ask questions about the company and be prepared to discuss how you can help the company reach its goals.
5. Never discuss benefits or vacations in the first meeting.
6. The moment you return home from the appointment, write a thank-you note (Believe it or not, 70% of the people I interview don't do this). And don't forget to mail the thing.

There. All you need to know. Further, why such up even more class time teaching something that a halfway motivated person could learn after roughly fifteen minutes search on the Internet?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 AM

My problem is our youth seems to have no focus. I was one of them. It seems the emphasis is get good grades go to college, get a degree and life is good. Not focus on being good at kite and using the tools of an education to get there.

But then we see people with student loan debt that are floundering in the real world with poor job prospects. If they had gone in with more of an understanding of what's going on they may have taken less money in loans out, planned community college first, planned job prospects early on. Basically think from a financially responsible point I. The begining.

I just feel, our country is focused on everyone goes to college. Focus on too far forward. We are forgetting a few basics of life.

Basketball sports analogy I can give seems like we are teaching kids how to dunk backwards, make 3 point shots at the buzzard, yet they cannot make a free throw shot or a simple lay up. Yes a lot of success is given from backwards dunks and 3 point shots at the buzzard. At the same time you are not going to win the game if you can't make free throws and lay ups.

I don't really think people thought interest only and ARM loans were a good idea if they had understood them. They saw, hmmm... If I do it this way its a cheaper monthly payment, must be better.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-19-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Removed orphaned response to off topic remark

Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM

15,768 posts, read 13,205,091 times
Quote:

My problem is our youth seems to have no focus. I was one of them. It seems the emphasis is get good grades go to college, get a degree and life is good. Not focus on being good at kite and using the tools of an education to get there.

But then we see people with student loan debt that are floundering in the real world with poor job prospects. If they had gone in with more of an understanding of what's going on they may have taken less money in loans out, planned community college first, planned job prospects early on. Basically think from a financially responsible point I. The begining.

I just feel, our country is focused on everyone goes to college. Focus on too far forward. We are forgetting a few basics of life.

Basketball sports analogy I can give seems like we are teaching kids how to dunk backwards, make 3 point shots at the buzzard, yet they cannot make a free throw shot or a simple lay up. Yes a lot of success is given from backwards dunks and 3 point shots at the buzzard. At the same time you are not going to win the game if you can't make free throws and lay ups.

I don't really think people thought interest only and ARM loans were a good idea if they had understood them. They saw, hmmm... If I do it this way its a cheaper monthly payment, must be better.

Completely ignoring the fact that in order to get federal student loans (you know the most common ones) financial aid offices require MANDATORY loan counseling.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-19-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

12,457 posts, read 27,107,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Completely ignoring the fact that in order to get federal student loans (you know the most common ones) financial aid offices require MANDATORY loan counseling.
My son graduated from college two springs ago. He indeed had two classes in loan re-payment and had to sign forms every year acknowledging his loans. There were no surprises as to the amount or how to re-pay them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
ahhh.... the 15 minute web based training that reads like iTunes terms and agreements, that you hit next on until you hit "recieve credit" Yep that works great, and I went through it in a college in 2010 at 2 seperate schools(I was dual enrolled in a State school, and a Private College), so I am pretty fairly up to date on it.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

15,768 posts, read 13,205,091 times
Quote:
ahhh.... the 15 minute web based training that reads like iTunes terms and agreements, that you hit next on until you hit "recieve credit" Yep that works great, and I went through it in a college in 2010 at 2 seperate schools(I was dual enrolled in a State school, and a Private College), so I am pretty fairly up to date on it.
It was a three hour course each semester at Rutgers BEFORE the loans were disbursed.

Additionally, you endlessly argue that not everyone should go to college, than why should everyone have to go through college loan training?

I get you are completely incapable of being objective when it comes to these things but you are now ending up arguing both sides of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or