Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times

Advertisements

I believe that secondary schools should devote one semester in the 11th or 12th grade to teach kids how to successfully search for employment. These are basic skills that they will need to have for the rest of their lives so it should be mandated curriculum.

The kids can learn how to write resumes, cover letters, fill out job applications, write business appropriate emails. You name it.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
What do you think?
I had two teachers in high school who did that. (History and Am. Gov't. They coordinated a lot of their lesson plans apparently.)

They made us learn how to fill out a job application, write a resume, file a simple tax form, open a bank account, balance a checkbook, fill out a rental application. All the good stuff. This was fourty years ago. They flat out told us they weren't going to let us graduate until we could prove we could function in society. This was on top of what the State of CA told them (and us) we had to learn. I can still remember how hard we worked in those classes.

They did us all a big favor.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had two teachers in high school who did that. (History and Am. Gov't. They coordinated a lot of their lesson plans apparently.)

They made us learn how to fill out a job application, write a resume, file a simple tax form, open a bank account, balance a checkbook, fill out a rental application. All the good stuff. This was fourty years ago. They flat out told us they weren't going to let us graduate until we could prove we could function in society.

They did us all a big favor.
See, that's great. Every high school in this country should have a required course devoted to this. It would really go a long way. By the time these kids are juniors and seniors in high school they've learned the bulk of their math, english, history and science. So why not devote a course teaching them how to fill out a loan application or write a cover letter?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
In our school it is part of several required courses, economics and some home ec classes but it is not a dedicated required class. They DO offer a mentor program that is a 2 trimester class that can be taken either junior or senior year. The first trimester they explore various careers, take career aptitude tests, learn how to write resumes, practice interviews. The second trimester they job shadow. This class is for motivated students that are college bound and they can explore any number of careers.

They have similar options for the "vo-tech" kids but I am not familiar with them.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
I wish basic accounting was required, let people understand interest on a loan, difference between loan and a lease, importance of investing ASAP. Possibly a tax return, credit cards, some job searching skills, etc.... Stuff that no matter what you do, you will need.

My favorite thing I read on application. "High School Gradute"

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In our school it is part of several required courses, economics and some home ec classes but it is not a dedicated required class. They DO offer a mentor program that is a 2 trimester class that can be taken either junior or senior year. The first trimester they explore various careers, take career aptitude tests, learn how to write resumes, practice interviews. The second trimester they job shadow. This class is for motivated students that are college bound and they can explore any number of careers.

They have similar options for the "vo-tech" kids but I am not familiar with them.
Wait are you still in HS? Oh well,even if you have a kid that's not going to college they still need to learn these skills. (Hell even more so because they're going into the workforce immeadiately).

Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Wait are you still in HS? Oh well,even if you have a kid that's not going to college they still need to learn these skills. (Hell even more so because they're going into the workforce immeadiately).
No, I have kids in high school. Like I said, they have similar options for kids not going to college, I just don't know the specifics.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I teach a job skills class that includes, among other things, conducting a job search. My kids are working on simple resume and cover letter writing right now. They also all participate in job shadowing opportunities.

They are all students with IEPs, and have many functional living skills incorporated into their learning goals. Sometimes, it seems like schools are better about preparing their special needs students for life post-high school (it's required by law to do so) than they are typically developing students.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
Quote:
I believe that secondary schools should devote one semester in the 11th or 12th grade to teach kids how to successfully search for employment. These are basic skills that they will need to have for the rest of their lives so it should be mandated curriculum.

The kids can learn how to write resumes, cover letters, fill out job applications, write business appropriate emails. You name it.

What do you think?
Agree! Along with basic common sense life skills such as personal budget, basic investing, household finances etc. I know parents teach some of this, but a little reinforcement of these basic skills would be so helpful.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:

What do you think?
And what class are we going to get rid of in order to make room for this one?

I teach in a small school with no electives to senior year, even then it is between an engineering course and a science one. So what science class or engineering class are we going to get rid of?

It's a skill that is taught in almost every college, so maybe you mean it for just kids not going to college. Either way, if you want to make something a requirement you have to decide what we are going to get rid of. There are only so many hours in a day, or days in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education