U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM

12,462 posts, read 27,178,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I don't understand the point of taking an AP class and not taking the test! Getting high enough scores on the test (usually a 4 or 5) means you get out of paying a good chunk of college tuition costs. If you don't take the test you might as well take an easier high school class, save yourself the stress, and take the class again in college.

I took one AP test (Spanish) without taking the class because my high school did not offer AP Spanish.
It's not a given that a college will accept the AP scores. When it's time for the test in Senior year, those students know what their college will accept. It makes no sense to take a test (and pay for it) if a college won't take it. Many colleges are very selective about that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 PM

85,100 posts, read 99,245,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It's not a given that a college will accept the AP scores. When it's time for the test in Senior year, those students know what their college will accept. It makes no sense to take a test (and pay for it) if a college won't take it. Many colleges are very selective about that.
So true. Most colleges will only accept so many AP courses, and with certain scores, usually 4-5. Some will not let you use AP courses to fulfil certain requirements, especially in your major; many will not let you use an AP course to fulfil a lab science requirement.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,575,054 times
Quote:
I don't understand the point of taking an AP class and not taking the test! Getting high enough scores on the test (usually a 4 or 5) means you get out of paying a good chunk of college tuition costs. If you don't take the test you might as well take an easier high school class, save yourself the stress, and take the class again in college.

I took one AP test (Spanish) without taking the class because my high school did not offer AP Spanish.
Along with what others have said about schools not taking the AP test scores for credit, schools want to see those AP classes on your transcript for admissions. They want to see that you took the most rigorous schedule available at your school. Also, there is just the plain fact that AP courses are harder and more challenging and for the better students, that holds their interest longer.

For schools that take AP for actual credit, often their admissions standards are not quite as high so loading up on AP classes and not doing quite as well in the class (B's vs A's for example) won't hurt you as much, if at all and will save you money in the end.

Our daughter opted to take honors World History vs AP World...she is regretting that choice every single day as the material is no were near challenging enough for her and she is bored in class--and her classmates are "less focused". We warned her but she doesn't like history and figured it would be ok. She has 3 other AP classes so it isn't like she is slacking off otherwise.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,989,213 times
Quote:

what everyone else said... they would rather save themselves the frustration than the stress. Even these kids that are taking 20 AP classes and scoring 5 on all of them are NOT entering their Ivy league universities as juniors. Very little college credit is actually given in elite universities, its a matter of standing out to get in. In addition to the fact that a lot of highschools weigh AP classes higher than normal classes, and taking a non AP class will kill your GPA and kill your class standing. Try getting into Brown being the 15th in your class.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM

32,225 posts, read 39,492,653 times
Many students take the AP classes for the weighted grades. The test itself plays a very small part for quite a few.

Colleges are getting more selective in what scores they will accept for credit or exemption (which is more common) and typically, as previously stated, many won't grant either for a class in the student's major.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,888,630 times
When it comes to college, it's mostly about time management. I did an engineering major with 15 credits minimum each semester and graduated with a 3.25 GPA. I also worked as much as I could, did a few extracurriculars for fun and had a social life. Sure there was the occasional weekend where I would be doing homework on a Friday AND Saturday night, but it sure didn't kill me. Most students at that school had around 8-10 hours of free time every day, most engineering (or other difficult majors) had around 5-6 hours of free time per day, and people like me had 2-3 per day. IT was enough.

I totally understand where you're coming from though OP. I was a little above the middle of the pack in my class, but a lot of students were way faster, way smarter, and spent significantly less time on their studies than I did. When they listed their (possibly exaggerated) accomplishments it would blow my mind as to what they were capable of doing! All people are different. Some are lightning fast with academics, some are not. Just about anyone can keep up with those overachievers, it just takes a lot of hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or