U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,098,050 times

Advertisements

Have you seen this article and if so, what are your thoughts? Is this a good decision or bad?

States can opt out of No Child Left Behind school standards, Obama says, but arguments remain - 9/23/2011 2:52:56 PM | Newser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,098,050 times
I think it should be left up to the individual state. I am tired of seeing teachers having to teach to the testing and not having really much flexibility.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,963,954 times
Well the mandate is 100% pass by 2014 and I don't think any state can achieve that.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,443,863 times
Our state is and I am thrilled. NCLB is the worst thing to happen to education, ever.

Articles in our paper yesterday stating that "half the schools in the state are on the watch list" but if you actually look at the data, almost EVERY school on the list is there because the special ed kids didn't pass the tests-and CAN'T pass the test no matter how much tutoring they have. One high school in our district is on the naughty list and it is just hysterical that they are. First, this school tops the state in ACT and SAT scores, which by default tops the nation because we top the nation in average ACT/SAT scores. They have a 99% graduation rate sending kids to the top colleges all over the nation. They even have several Rhode's scholars in the past few years. Now tell me this school is in trouble, really. .

Old 10-01-2011, 07:47 AM

7,895 posts, read 12,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our state is and I am thrilled. NCLB is the worst thing to happen to education, ever.

Articles in our paper yesterday stating that "half the schools in the state are on the watch list" but if you actually look at the data, almost EVERY school on the list is there because the special ed kids didn't pass the tests-and CAN'T pass the test no matter how much tutoring they have. One high school in our district is on the naughty list and it is just hysterical that they are. First, this school tops the state in ACT and SAT scores, which by default tops the nation because we top the nation in average ACT/SAT scores. They have a 99% graduation rate sending kids to the top colleges all over the nation. They even have several Rhode's scholars in the past few years. Now tell me this school is in trouble, really. .
You might be trading mandates you don't like for other mandates that you don't like. The state will have to put into place something. My wife's principal told her staff that if our state opts out of NCLB, it will still have to have some measures in place which may include the addition of, for example, merit pay and a % of a staff member's evaluation based on student test scores. That's just talk at this point.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You might be trading mandates you don't like for other mandates that you don't like. The state will have to put into place something. My wife's principal told her staff that if our state opts out of NCLB, it will still have to have some measures in place which may include the addition of, for example, merit pay and a % of a staff member's evaluation based on student test scores. That's just talk at this point.
In our state, since NCLB was enacted, scores have gone DOWN. They can put into place what we had before and we will all be just fine.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:57 AM

7,895 posts, read 12,165,165 times
Quote:
In our state, since NCLB was enacted, scores have gone DOWN. They can put into place what we had before and we will all be just fine.
We didn't make AYP due to math scores. Our school had an overall 97% passing rate for math. But only 83.8% of special education students passed. We needed 85%. I don't agree with NCLB, but from what I understand you may not be able to put into place what you had before. For example, this would be different for us:

States would also need to implement means-based teacher evaluation systems, a nod to the controversial ‘value-added’ metric that rates teachers based on student improvement on standardized tests.

http://washingtonindependent.com/112360/obama-duncan-to-spell-out-terms-for-waivers-to-opt-out-of-no-child-left-behind

Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We didn't make AYP due to math scores. Our school had an overall 97% passing rate for math. But only 83.8% of special education students passed. We needed 85%. I don't agree with NCLB, but from what I understand you may not be able to put into place what you had before. For example, this would be different for us:

States would also need to implement means-based teacher evaluation systems, a nod to the controversial ‘value-added’ metric that rates teachers based on student improvement on standardized tests.

http://washingtonindependent.com/112360/obama-duncan-to-spell-out-terms-for-waivers-to-opt-out-of-no-child-left-behind
If you read the pdf that details this it states that schools can design their own evaluation programs: Flexibility Regarding District and School Improvement and Accountability Requirements:

States,
districts, and schools will receive relief from a system that over-identifies schools as “failing” and
prescribes a “one size fits all” approach to interventions. Instead, States will have the flexibility
to design a system that targets efforts to the schools and districts that are the lowestperforming and to schools that have the largest achievement gaps, tailoring interventions to the
unique needs of those schools and districts and their students. States will also have flexibility to
recognize and reward both schools that are the highest-achieving and those whose students are
making the most progress.

This pretty much means, in districts like our district, that if you have different tests for special ed kids that measure THEIR progress, not their progress compared to the 94% of college bound kids in the rest of the school, you will see that schools are NOT failing any students but meeting THEIR individual needs.

Also, the big push is to be "college ready". Well, our state tops the nation in college entrance exam scores, both ACT and SAT, I think our college bound kids are college ready.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,963,954 times
Quote:
If you read the pdf that details this it states that schools can design their own evaluation programs: Flexibility Regarding District and School Improvement and Accountability Requirements:

States,
districts, and schools will receive relief from a system that over-identifies schools as “failing” and
prescribes a “one size fits all” approach to interventions. Instead, States will have the flexibility
to design a system that targets efforts to the schools and districts that are the lowestperforming and to schools that have the largest achievement gaps, tailoring interventions to the
unique needs of those schools and districts and their students. States will also have flexibility to
recognize and reward both schools that are the highest-achieving and those whose students are
making the most progress.

This pretty much means, in districts like our district, that if you have different tests for special ed kids that measure THEIR progress, not their progress compared to the 94% of college bound kids in the rest of the school, you will see that schools are NOT failing any students but meeting THEIR individual needs.

Also, the big push is to be "college ready". Well, our state tops the nation in college entrance exam scores, both ACT and SAT, I think our college bound kids are college ready.
From the article though..the states must also have the same college ready plans for the lowest performers. You can't just "leave them behind".

College bound kids were never the point of NCLB. It was bringing the lowest performers up to their level.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM

15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
The NCLB was designed to make public schools fail so that private schools could take over. Everything else that has been said about it is pure propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or