Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times

Advertisements

I never heard of wealthy towns getting more funding than poor towns, just the reverse here. A wealthy community will get almost nothing towards their funding. Our town, if it were to build/add on a school only gets about 30% reimbursement from the state. if a poor town were to do the same project the state would give 60-80% reimbursement..of which the local tax payers pay hardly anything to such a project.

The local tax payers here pay for most of the education for their town. Wealthy towns pay more taxes on their property which go into the schools. The schools perform better and housing prices rise as more people want to live in the district. Not to say they spend a lot per education, but parents have higher expectations and push and guide their children to do well in school.

Hartford and New Haven, CT should statistically have some of the best schools in the country if it came to money spent on students, but they are far from. It doesn't help when the people these children watch in the media who are black and hispanic are only speaking of having sex with "hoes", smoking weed, running from cops and driving cars with large chrome wheels.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
No

Old 04-14-2019, 11:21 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
not until educators are able to be honest about why those gaps exist. this is a good place to start, with regard to black students:

Amazon.com: Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America: Books: John McWhorter
John McWhorter makes entirely too much sense. No one ever listens to him.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM

740 posts, read 456,814 times
For things to improve for Blacks and Hispanics is to actually have them to show up to school and take school seriously. That's it. It's not brain surgery. God, people make things harder than it really is. Even in the ghetto, Asians still outperformed Blacks and Hispanics. And they all share the same circumstances, the same harsh environment. My cousin was a gang member in Fresno, CA in the 1990s and even he graduated with a 3.8 GPA.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
To fix the problem we have to acknowledge a couple of politically incorrect truths: Race doesn't matter. Income doesn't matter. Give a damn matters. If parents don't care, then kids won't care.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To fix the problem we have to acknowledge a couple of politically incorrect truths: Race doesn't matter. Income doesn't matter. Give a damn matters. If parents don't care, then kids won't care.
It's probably almost exactly that simple. Studies (heck people should simply take ten and look at the data) comparing test results across racial groups per income end the whole income as a key driver argument for anyone who will pay attention.

Other studies like The Minnesota Transracial Adoption Study and its derivatives to a satisfying degree prove black and white/Asian academic differences are overwhelmingly cultural/environmental.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
I am reluctant to say impossible but would go with extremely unlikely.

If there is a solution then it is with technology. The issue is not really money in my opinion. It is like most people do not comprehend how powerful this computer technology is for the dirt cheap prices. It is an issue of what to do with it. At least theoretically Black Americans could get their act together and start making better use of it than most Whites. But that would be a huge sociological leap. Bright kids are more likely to be made fun of by other Black kids. My mother called the science fiction books I was reading "something crazy" but I learned more science as a result of reading SF than from the nitwit White nuns.

I have talked to high school teachers who had not even heard of Project Gutenberg.

Black Man's Burden (1961) by Mack Reynolds
http://sfgospel.typepad.com/sf_gospe...-progress.html
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Black Man's Burden, by Mack Reynolds.

Border, Breed Nor Birth (1963) by Mack Reynolds
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Border, Breed Nor Birth, by Mack Reynolds

IMPERIUM IN IMPERIO: A STUDY OF THE NEGRO RACE PROBLEM A NOVEL
by Sutton E. Griggs (1899)
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/...54-images.html
https://lavelleporter.com/2013/02/17...ium-in-imperio

Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?
YES, HIS goal is impossible unless he can change the families of the children with the achievement discrepancies.

I've never stated the backgrounds of my southern lineage other than to say my mother was from Kentucky and my father a native Tennessean. They were among the "migration" north for jobs and they both moved to Chicago...for work, factory jobs.

Point being my father was only "allowed" to attend school up to the 2nd grade and my mother to 5th grade. Some of you may ponder why? The why is because they were needed to work the crops of their farms as well as those of their neighbor farmers, they were the laborers.

Needless to say we did not grow up wealthy or even middle class. But we had a clean, comfortable home with 5 bedrooms and no, it was not in a suburb but rather in a manufacturing neighborhood, 3 doors away from the Santa Fe railroad yards.

Literacy and education was a HUGE deal in our family and anything my parents did not know or understand (despite making efforts to learn on their own) it was incumbent on us children to further their understanding and knowledge. It was also our obligation to our parents and ourselves to become educated, curious about the entire world around us and elsewhere.

Education begins at home and if and when that doesn't occur it takes a very curious and ambitious child to get that spark and get the needed breeze to keep it burning on their own. Teachers and their Superintendents can only do so much when there's no one at home pushing the agenda for education.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

This is correct. The gap is close to 100% due to parenting and culture. The "leaders" of the underperforming groups who dogmatically limit their commentary to school funding or external racism are guilty of political malpractice and are unfit for community leadership in my opinion.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
His goal is impossible, isn't it?
So what if it is? The goal of every religious person is to save every soul, but that's impossible. Ya gotta have faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education