U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM
 
1,301 posts, read 286,552 times
Reputation: 2167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To fix the problem we have to acknowledge a couple of politically incorrect truths: Race doesn't matter. Income doesn't matter. Give a damn matters. If parents don't care, then kids won't care.
Very, very true.

 
Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM
 
81 posts, read 18,177 times
Reputation: 99
Is more of a wealth issue than a race issue. Almost all of the "elite" PRIVATE colleges have the highest proportion of wealthy and ultra wealthy compared to PUBLICS where a top notch education can be achieved at a much lower price. The College admissions scandal among the ultra wealthy only perpetuates it. However, the State Flagships and Publics have more parity in terms of wealth and race equality achievement than the Privates for sure where anybody regardless of income, or race has the ability to thrive and succeed. Also the new "Social Mobility Index" on US News Rankings is helping to lessen the gap between wealth and race at all colleges. Am proud to have graduated from a college where high graduation rates were the same regardless of income level/race across the board and anticipate this trend happening more due to the tweaks in US News Rankings nationwide.

Last edited by Fisherman99; 04-17-2019 at 12:54 PM..
 
Old 04-17-2019, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
965 posts, read 860,724 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?
This is new to me. If this is true, then yes, this is impossible to achieve.

I'm an Asian and we spend 2-3 hours everyday helping our kids on their everyday lessons / homeworks.
 
Old 04-17-2019, 03:05 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,165 posts, read 60,907,657 times
Reputation: 31543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Will America ever be able to eliminate the EDUCATIONAL achievement gap
between Whites/Asians and Blacks/Hispanics? (high school, grade)
It's not "America's" job to do.
If/when it happens though... it'll be because of the parents.
 
Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM
 
536 posts, read 97,188 times
Reputation: 925
It starts with personal responsibility and accountability at home. I don't see the trend changing anytime soon......
 
Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
3,894 posts, read 1,432,606 times
Reputation: 7230
Follow the money. Black families have less income, so black children grow in the neighborhoods where their parents can afford the rent. Culturally influenced by an economically challenged neighborhood, and acquiring its values. And education is not one of those values. Where is the square-one at which you attack this dichotomy?
 
Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 PM
 
897 posts, read 501,086 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?
Will America ever be able to eliminate the gap between Asians and Whites or men and women in STEM disciplines?
 
Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,333 posts, read 9,973,481 times
Reputation: 19825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?
Total quality of results...probably impossible.

Improvement in situation...very possible.
 
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
21,333 posts, read 9,973,481 times
Reputation: 19825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it wont happen untill we stop treating people like they need special attention because of the color of there skin. Anyone is capable of achiving what they want to. If you say "you need to teach the class in spanish, and english" you are giving the student that speaks spanish a crutch, keeping them from learning the language of the country, and thus forcing them back.
When you give someone something, they will not give it the same importance as if they were to work extremly hard to get the goal themselves

sorry if this might not make sense, 12 hour day at work and a hard to deal with client, has made my thinking a bit um... random.
Well, let me tell you a little story.

I was critical of one of our math teachers (I was principal) who had a very high failure rate among Black and Latino students, but those staying after school for help were almost always White kids. When I asked her why, she admitted that she called the parents of White kids, but not Black and Latino kinds because, "Well, you know how they are".
 
Old 04-18-2019, 04:54 PM
 
Location: A tropical island
4,344 posts, read 4,315,664 times
Reputation: 10864
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To fix the problem we have to acknowledge a couple of politically incorrect truths: Race doesn't matter. Income doesn't matter. Give a damn matters. If parents don't care, then kids won't care.
Having parents who care probably makes a big difference in many children's attitudes toward learning. But unfortunately teachers have very little influence over or contact with parents. If only someone could figure out how to instill a passion for learning in every student regardless of their home environment.

My dad had an 8th grade education, my mom 10th. They were never involved in checking my homework, I don't remember them reading to me, or really encouraging me in any way about school. But there was something that made me want to learn, want to make straight A's, want to go to college, and be successful. I don't know if it was great teachers at an early age, or just something in my own heart. I wish I knew because I'd gladly share my secret if I understood it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top