Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM

786 posts, read 4,724,666 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2007I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-18-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 AM

575 posts, read 3,126,021 times
Most likeley not entirely and not for a while. It comes down to social pressures, culture, and the family background which are ususally different within ethnic groups. and the NCLB law only exacerbates the problem by only pinning the "problem" on schools.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,153,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. His goal is impossible, isn't it?
I think the issue is less about of the color of skin than it is about the color of money. In short, I have hopes for the first concern (eliminating the achievement gap between w/asian and b/hisp students) and no hopes for the second (eliminating the achievement gap between children of wealth and children of poverty).

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,096,345 times
Quote:
Will America ever be able to eliminate the EDUCATIONAL achievement gap between Whites/Asians and Blacks/Hispanics?
No. If you investigate the gap and the geographic areas where it is the largest...I don't see any chance elimination.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,619,933 times
not until educators are able to be honest about why those gaps exist. this is a good place to start, with regard to black students:

Amazon.com: Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America: Books: John McWhorter

Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM

420 posts, read 2,196,412 times
Hmm...I would actually say that these gaps are becomming larger, so I'm not really sure what his plan is to eliminate these gaps but it will surely take some time regardless. The racial gap is the only one that may not be impossible, but as I stated, it will take ages for this to happen. As for the socioeconomic group gaps, these will virtually never be eliminated as it's quite obvious the rich are still getting richer.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,597,183 times
i think it will be more of a money issue than a race issue. i think that the race gap will shrink largely in my lifetime (i'm 19 btw) but i think the money gap will grow.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,396,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work part time for a surburban School District. Every year we go to big meeting of teachers and the Superintent of Schools will tell all of us that he is working at eliminating the educational achievement gap between White/Asian Students and those from Black and Hispanic accestory.

He also says he will eliminate the achievement gap between people who grew up in weathy families and disadvantaged backgrounds. All of us roll our eyes and know he is just blowing out smoke and is speaking in politically correct language. Because Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be poor and come from families who are not as involved in the education of its kids, it seems like an impossible task.

His goal is impossible, isn't it?
it wont happen untill we stop treating people like they need special attention because of the color of there skin. Anyone is capable of achiving what they want to. If you say "you need to teach the class in spanish, and english" you are giving the student that speaks spanish a crutch, keeping them from learning the language of the country, and thus forcing them back.
When you give someone something, they will not give it the same importance as if they were to work extremly hard to get the goal themselves

sorry if this might not make sense, 12 hour day at work and a hard to deal with client, has made my thinking a bit um... random.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,138,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it wont happen untill we stop treating people like they need special attention because of the color of there skin. Anyone is capable of achiving what they want to. If you say "you need to teach the class in spanish, and english" you are giving the student that speaks spanish a crutch, keeping them from learning the language of the country, and thus forcing them back.
When you give someone something, they will not give it the same importance as if they were to work extremly hard to get the goal themselves

sorry if this might not make sense, 12 hour day at work and a hard to deal with client, has made my thinking a bit um... random.
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Instead of giving people the automatic "you're black, you're underprivileged. Here's an extra helping hand for you," America needs to say "you're an individual, you have opportunities. Have fun."

Everybody has equal access to K-12 courtesy of tax dollars (and lottery in some states). Also, in MOST (I don't know if all...) schools, there is internet available. So if the school doesn't have the learning materials right for you, learn it on your own via the Internet. Google is your best friend.

If two kids go to the SAME school and come from the same neighborhood, why should one be treated differently than the other? They both have the opportunity to learn.

As for teaching classes in dual languages, people need to learn the un-official tongue of the land. If they can't, then they shouldn't be in our school system wasting time and money. Trust me, if you put them in a normal class from Day 1 of 1st Grade... they'll be young enough to pick up American-English quite easily. By time they reach middle and high school, they should be pretty fluent in American-English.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM

484 posts, read 1,941,146 times
The learning gap is a cultural thing. Some families simply don't value education. I'm Black, and my family is full of educated people. I'm the only one of my siblings without an advanced degree.

Back in the day, Black schools were incredibly bad (many still are), but people still tried to learn as much as they could.

I'm also a huge fan of John McWhorter.

As for teaching classes in dual languages, people need to learn the un-official tongue of the land. If they can't, then they shouldn't be in our school system wasting time and money. Trust me, if you put them in a normal class from Day 1 of 1st Grade... they'll be young enough to pick up American-English quite easily. By time they reach middle and high school, they should be pretty fluent in American-English.

A school district near me with a large Spanish-speaking population paired up kids who don't speak much English with kids who do. The "language buddies" help each other out in class. It has worked well so far.

I'm actually in favor of dual-language immersion. Teach all the kids in Spanish and English. In many countries, people speak 3 languages or more, so why can't American kids learn 2?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education