U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Reputation: 2650

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't dispute this doesn't happen- but it's not the norm. There is a legal age at which children can be left alone. If the "adult" in charge is 16, then that is the person that signs the homework. If there is no adult in charge, the proper authorities are notified.

And the "proper authorities" come and take the children away from the working parents??

"Liberal" or not "liberal" that is the single most frightening statement I've ever heard in my life.

By the way, not ALL states have a legal limit.

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,206 posts, read 2,095,491 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
And the "proper authorities" come and take the children away from the working parents??

"Liberal" or not "liberal" that is the single most frightening statement I've ever heard in my life.

By the way, not ALL states have a legal limit.

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State
This is the problem. If the authorities are not notified and something happens to the children while left alone, then everyone wouldd be shouting from the rooftops asking why the authorities were not notified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 PM
 
2,920 posts, read 2,908,338 times
Reputation: 3504
I did not intend to derail this thread. I was just pointing out that there are some places where children may inadvertently be penalized for their parents' actions.

Thanks for the link, reloop. It was enlightening.

I will not comment on this further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Reputation: 48613
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
And the "proper authorities" come and take the children away from the working parents??

"Liberal" or not "liberal" that is the single most frightening statement I've ever heard in my life.

By the way, not ALL states have a legal limit.

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State

"Latchkey" is not the same thing as a situation where there is no daily adult presence in the home, period, who would be able to sign a child's homework folder. While I doubt there is any one definitive description of what "latchkey" constitutes, I can't think of any context where it would be used to define children who are wholly responsible for their own caretaking and do not have some adult presence, parent or not, in the home at any point in a 24-hour period. At some point, somebody comes home and can initial a paper from school left on the counter for him/her. If not, there is child neglect going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 19,568,757 times
Reputation: 4931
I don't see how making the parents sign the homework is making kids take responsibility for their actions. It seems to me that it has the opposite effect, by making the parents babysit everything their kids do. The more supervision parents have over every little thing in a child's life, the less mature and responsible they grow up to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,980,975 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Never mind.

Well, here goes one more time.

As a child, my sister and I were often left alone to take care of ourselves, sometimes for days at a time. The lights were on, there was food in the kitchen. We knew how to take care of ourselves. There was no adult in charge. This was at age 8+. Our parents weren't lazy. They were working.

My students often have parents who are working two minimum wage jobs to be able to keep the bills paid. The students are older, and many of them are responsible for younger children. The "adult in charge" may not be much older than the children, and some of them work too.

It might not be a part of your experience, but that doesn't mean that it's not real.
same here. and not that they didn't have 2 seconds to sign the form, but working multiple jobs, that wasn't their number one priority. There was a million other things they wish they could take a few seconds to do. I had the same policy, and all it taught me was how to forge my mother's signature at a very early age. I did it so often, I was questioned when she did sign something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If kids consistently have no adult supervision, such that there is NO ADULT IN CHARGE there who can initial papers on a daily basis, the school needs to know that, because the school is full of mandated reporters for abuse and neglect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
And the "proper authorities" come and take the children away from the working parents??

"Liberal" or not "liberal" that is the single most frightening statement I've ever heard in my life.

By the way, not ALL states have a legal limit.

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"Latchkey" is not the same thing as a situation where there is no daily adult presence in the home, period, who would be able to sign a child's homework folder. While I doubt there is any one definitive description of what "latchkey" constitutes, I can't think of any context where it would be used to define children who are wholly responsible for their own caretaking and do not have some adult presence, parent or not, in the home at any point in a 24-hour period. At some point, somebody comes home and can initial a paper from school left on the counter for him/her. If not, there is child neglect going on.
glad I wasn't taken away. She did the best she could, and that just happens to be the reality of many non privileged households. With as much child neglect there is in our society.... do you really think not having time to sign a homework log equated to neglect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
glad I wasn't taken away. She did the best she could, and that just happens to be the reality of many non privileged households. With as much child neglect there is in our society.... do you really think not having time to sign a homework log equated to neglect?
I don't. I think that's preposterous. I think that the reason many children don't seem to be able to make a smart decision on their own to save their life is because we constantly monitor them to make sure they've done it.

If they don't do their homework, yes, give them a consequence. To penalize them just because they didn't wave it in front of Mommy's face, is ridiculous and useless IMO.

In my line of work, I'd rather see children be taken away from parents who are crackheads or drunks (in other words - REAL neglect) but that's too far of a diversion off topic except to say that a parent can be sitting right in front of a child babbling incoherently and the child would not be alone.

To force a child to pick up trash or lose recess because Mumsy or Pops forgot to jot their initials after supper and then ran out the door in the morning without remembering to sign it is just being rotten in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM
 
1,078 posts, read 2,209,539 times
Reputation: 1027
That is nothing more than requiring the parents to do homework too. I have four boys and only one of them is required to show not only my husband and I but the teacher his assignment book on a daily basis. This is only due to his not being organized and turning assignments in late or not at all. It was initiated by my husband and I, not the school or teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
 
1,226 posts, read 1,980,975 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I don't. I think that's preposterous. I think that the reason many children don't seem to be able to make a smart decision on their own to save their life is because we constantly monitor them to make sure they've done it.

If they don't do their homework, yes, give them a consequence. To penalize them just because they didn't wave it in front of Mommy's face, is ridiculous and useless IMO.

In my line of work, I'd rather see children be taken away from parents who are crackheads or drunks (in other words - REAL neglect) but that's too far of a diversion off topic except to say that a parent can be sitting right in front of a child babbling incoherently and the child would not be alone.

To force a child to pick up trash or lose recess because Mumsy or Pops forgot to jot their initials after supper and then ran out the door in the morning without remembering to sign it is just being rotten in my book.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great if the parent is there, reviewing homeowork, signing the agenda. One of my kids NEEDS that, one of them certainly does not. I think my kids have a great advantage to have involved parents with an ability to allot that time towards them. I do wish ALL kids had that.

But they don't, and to penalize them for that is a shame. It just gives kids with a disadvantage more of a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
Reputation: 4494
My son lost his agenda over the weekend. Oh, the drama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top