U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,131,710 times

Advertisements

I think this is a great idea - this way parents won't be surprised by their child's grades.

It sounds like you are making a lot of excuses about this. First, you said you didn't want to do it because you are afraid of identity theft (which is silly - you know that no one can steal your identity by having just your signature. You could also sign your name differently if you are that worried, ex. signing S. Smith instead of Sally Smith).

Then you say you don't want to do it because public punishment is wrong.
Then it's extortion.
Then it's frivolous.

Then you interject that another child of yours, was unfairly punished at school.

My suggestion is, set an example for your child that you are responsible, and that you accept the rules authority set (assuming they are not harmful, which I don't think this is), and just sign the homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 05:50 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,094,934 times
It seems too may parents are making excuses for the behavior of their children. That sets a bad example to the kids, making them think they don't have to follow the rules.

Picking up trash is not that big of a deal. As another poster said, if this is so humiliating then your daughter will make sure she is in class on time now won't she.

As a question, what other consequences should teachers have for children who don't follow the rules? So far on other posts also, every consequence is met with great resisitance from parents. They can't rap knuckles anymore, they can't have detention, a lot of the time the principal doesn't want to deal with these kids either. So what should the consequences be?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM

553 posts, read 873,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal1962 View Post
Everyone here, thanks for your input. Seems like the general concensus is that it shouldn't be a big deal.
Since I posted, my daughter in middle school was given trash picup during lunch for being "half a bell ring" late for class. - That is- her bottom hit the seat as the bell finished ringing. She will also get a lowered mark on her progress report card for the tardy. Double dipping on the punishment ? And trash picup isn't listed on the "discipline contract " under consequences for Tardies- that I did sign willingly .

Anyway, at our elementary school, trash pickup is probobly the worst punishment next to suspension a child can get. It is public ( obviously) cause it takes place while the rest of the kids are lining up to go to lunch recess and into the recess time till all the lunch trash is picked up. Also not written down anywhere as a potential punishment for anything other than school wide misbehavior aka littering,grafitti.
I feel if part of the homework is to get my signature...still inappropriate ...then the grade could be lowered and be done with it , privately.
The public punishment for younger kids for what their parent did or did not do is creepy. It all still rings of extortion. I seriously do not like my child being used to control my actions... especially such a frivolous request as signing homework. He's got perfect scores , is well liked and is well behaved.
Regarding trash pic up in general, if there is mis behavior during meal times, then by all means it is an appropriate consequence. For any other violation it seems like free labor and to humiliate the child, and definately a power trip for the teacher.
And yes I agree, kids should become more and more responsible for themselves as they grow,
NOT enabled to blame punishment on mom and dad, NOR to accept being punished for someone elses behavior. What do they learn from that ?
omg... and on and on and on about this "punishment" issue.

JUST PRINT YOUR NAME ON IT!

What is the problem now?
researching internet for "legal/illegal", "ethical/unethical".. what a waste!

Put a reminder on your fridge.

(If this topic now turns into a dispute like "not all the people have fridges" - I will not be surprised. )

If your well-behaved and perfect score child still gets punished , then his faulf will be - forgetting to remind you.

Last edited by Dressy; 10-08-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but it seems extremely unfair to punish the child for the actions of his or her parents. I think the OP is right to be upset; NOT because I think identity theft is a major concern (you could probably just initial or something) or because I think picking up trash is a harsh punishment, but because I would have some concerns with the policy itself.

FWIW, I would also not be thrilled with trash pickup being depicted in the school as a punishment. In some schools kids willingly do clean-ups, etc., and consider that to be a GOOD thing!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 PM

553 posts, read 873,105 times
I think this topic got competely derailed into disscussion of the punishment, instead of discussing whether or not it makes sence to keep the parents involved by acnowleging that they did see the homework that their children have done.

It is not sound and neither healthy. It is like speculating abot the cost of a HIPOTHETICAL parking ticket that one MAY get if one parks in some illegal spot and crying over a high cost of this possible parking ticket fee, instead of just NOT VIOLATING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but it seems extremely unfair to punish the child for the actions of his or her parents.
What is unfair? The childeren are asked to show their h/w to parents. This is like part of their homework, the last step assinged. Did the homework - go ask your parent to sign it. If some child deliberately did not do it, or forgot, how is that not his fault??

Last edited by Dressy; 10-09-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,939,671 times
This policy is an attempt to get children to do the assigned homework? How prevalent is that problem, anyway?
Are the parents all made aware of this policy?
If not it seems that the habitual offender would just sign the parent's signature. Do they keep an authenticated copy of the parent's signature on file?
I know it sounds silly, but kids are resourceful.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I used to sign my dad's signature on my practice record all the time when I was a beginning band student. We had to turn in a signed record of how much we practiced at home every week at our group lesson. I frequently signed it, not because I wasn't practicing, but because between my dad's and my own lack of organization, signing the practice record frequently got forgotten. I'm sure the band director knew, but she never said anything. What's funny as that to this day, my signature and my dad's signature continue to look much alike.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I think this topic got competely derailed into disscussion of the punishment, instead of discussing whether or not it makes sence to keep the parents involved by acnowleging that they did see the homework that their children have done.

It is not sound and neither healthy. It is like speculating abot the cost of a HIPOTHETICAL parking ticket that one MAY get if one parks in some illegal spot and crying over a high cost of this possible parking ticket fee, instead of just NOT VIOLATING.

What is unfair? The childeren are asked to show their h/w to parents. This is like part of their homework, the last step assinged. Did the homework - go ask your parent to sign it. If some child deliberately did not do it, or forgot, how is that not his fault??
Because not all parents remember to sign it, or are around to sign it. I think it's one thing to ask that parents sign off on homework, another thing to actively punish students because their parents didn't do something. In many families it will be a case of the kid forgetting to ask mom or dad, but why penalize those kids who have more complicated situations, or who simply have more forgetful and/or flaky parents? Is it really that big of a deal? Request it, sure, but why waste time and energy enforcing punishments on the kids who don't have signatures? If the homework is done, then what's the problem?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone, Found this forum as I have been scrolling the internet looking for help with too many puzzling school issues recently in our- little school in a big district.
Recently, our elementary school teachers have required parents to sign homework nightly or the child recieves either an immediate consequence or a lowered homework grade.

Immediate consequence seen so far is "trash pic up" instead of Recess play time for not obtaining a parent signature on a weekly notice.
Lowered homework grade from an 'A' to a 'B' for regularly not obtaining parent signature.

As a three time victim of identity theft I have an issue with sending my 7 year old off daily with my signature in their backpack and to find out that persons other than employees are handling these papers.

Is it some kind of education law that says teachers/schools can penalize minors for not getting a parent signature ?
Just put... "approved by parent" with your name printed and just initial it. The objective, I presume is to get the parents to participate in their children's education. Oh sad that they must blackmail the children in order to do this.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,036,029 times
Quote:
Everyone here, thanks for your input. Seems like the general concensus is that it shouldn't be a big deal.
Since I posted, my daughter in middle school was given trash picup during lunch for being "half a bell ring" late for class. - That is- her bottom hit the seat as the bell finished ringing. She will also get a lowered mark on her progress report card for the tardy. Double dipping on the punishment ? And trash picup isn't listed on the "discipline contract " under consequences for Tardies- that I did sign willingly .

Anyway, at our elementary school, trash pickup is probobly the worst punishment next to suspension a child can get. It is public ( obviously) cause it takes place while the rest of the kids are lining up to go to lunch recess and into the recess time till all the lunch trash is picked up. Also not written down anywhere as a potential punishment for anything other than school wide misbehavior aka littering,grafitti.
I feel if part of the homework is to get my signature...still inappropriate ...then the grade could be lowered and be done with it , privately.
The public punishment for younger kids for what their parent did or did not do is creepy. It all still rings of extortion. I seriously do not like my child being used to control my actions... especially such a frivolous request as signing homework. He's got perfect scores , is well liked and is well behaved.
Regarding trash pic up in general, if there is mis behavior during meal times, then by all means it is an appropriate consequence. For any other violation it seems like free labor and to humiliate the child, and definately a power trip for the teacher.
And yes I agree, kids should become more and more responsible for themselves as they grow,
NOT enabled to blame punishment on mom and dad, NOR to accept being punished for someone elses behavior. What do they learn from that ?
Not to judge or blame you but, why is it easier to post a three hundred word reply here then to review and sign your child's homework? I guess what I'm trying to say is why is it more important to you to spend more time complaining on a forum and not a little time making sure your child does his homework?

I hated sitting down with my two kids doing homework and still do with my son but I do it because that's what parents do. Crap I wish all I had to do was review homework and sign off on it.

Seriously people. We need to stop looking at what teachers and schools require from parents as them pushing work off on us and look at it as them asking us as parents to be involved and participate in OUR kids future.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education