U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 3,250 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, Found this forum as I have been scrolling the internet looking for help with too many puzzling school issues recently in our- little school in a big district.
Recently, our elementary school teachers have required parents to sign homework nightly or the child recieves either an immediate consequence or a lowered homework grade.

Immediate consequence seen so far is "trash pic up" instead of Recess play time for not obtaining a parent signature on a weekly notice.
Lowered homework grade from an 'A' to a 'B' for regularly not obtaining parent signature.

As a three time victim of identity theft I have an issue with sending my 7 year old off daily with my signature in their backpack and to find out that persons other than employees are handling these papers.

Is it some kind of education law that says teachers/schools can penalize minors for not getting a parent signature ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM

4,703 posts, read 4,853,054 times
There is no such law. If you feel this classroom policy is too harsh, speak to the teacher. Frankly, it sounds like the teacher is attempting to instill personal responsibility in not only students, but parents as well and it doesn't seem over the top to me.

A person needs more than a signature to steal an identity. In fact, most identity theft is done electronically and if you notice, online accounts don't require a signature. However, if this continues to be a concern for you - perhaps the teacher will accept a nightly email from you saying "Little Johnny completed his homework tonight" or tell the teacher, "I will initial the homework but I won't sign the homework".

Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,913,048 times
I would just print my name, or initial. I think it's a great idea, by the way. Parents need to communicate with their kids about what's happening at school.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM

7,895 posts, read 12,168,874 times
I don't know about having them pick up trash, but a consequence for not getting a signature doesn't seem out of line. I have to sign my child's reading log and planner.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,098,050 times
I don't see any problems with having consequences for not getting the parent to sign/initial homework. Too many children do not have personal accountability for getting things done for themselves and they rely too much on other people to remind and or do for them. Trash pick up is not unreasonable. My daughters teacher has all the students to a trash pick up at the end of the day. It is their trash, so why shouldn't they pick it up?

It seems that no matter what consequences a teacher comes up with some people are going to balk about it. There comes a time when parents/guardians have to just let the teacher handle the class/children as they see fit, as long as it is not abusive.

I don't mean to be mean here, but why is it people seem to jump to whether something is ethical or legal? I mean come on, it's a signature, she isn't asking for something out of bounds here. Teachers have a hard enough time getting the kids to do their work without parents jumping to whether something as simple as a signature is ethical.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,913,231 times
As I just said in another post, I find it problematic to hold children responsible for their parents' actions. What are kids supposed to do whose parents work all night, travel, or who are otherwise unavailable? It doesn't seem fair to punish children for their parents' actions.

The fact is that in our district, we have a significant number of children who are basically responsible for getting themselves up and to school every day. Some of them rarely see their parents or another responsible adult. Every child doesn't live in a nuclear family where the parents come home for work in time for supper, help with homework, bathtime, and a bedtime story. I guess kids in this situation are just supposed to suck it up and take the punishment?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,098,050 times
If the case is the parents are not available, there has to be another adult there. If there isn't because the parents just don't care, the teacher would probably know this and can make an exception on a case by case basis.

My daughter is in 4th grade, and she makes sure I sign the papers that need signing. I have told her that this is her responsibility as it is her education. If she forgets, then she suffers the consequence. This also holds true for homework, if she forgets it at home, I will not bring it to her. The earlier you teach your children to be responsible the better off you will be. For parents that don't teach this, will you be driving their homework to them in High school or college?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
As I just said in another post, I find it problematic to hold children responsible for their parents' actions. What are kids supposed to do whose parents work all night, travel, or who are otherwise unavailable? It doesn't seem fair to punish children for their parents' actions.

The fact is that in our district, we have a significant number of children who are basically responsible for getting themselves up and to school every day. Some of them rarely see their parents or another responsible adult. Every child doesn't live in a nuclear family where the parents come home for work in time for supper, help with homework, bathtime, and a bedtime story. I guess kids in this situation are just supposed to suck it up and take the punishment?
So we just give up, right? This kind of liberal hand-wringing is so depressing. I think this policy is perfect- get the kids to get angry with the irresponsible adults in their lives so that they grow up with the idea that they WON'T be like them as adults. I would think that after a few times of not signing the work, the teachers (or God forbid, administrators...) would bring in these lazy ass parents and ask why they aren't signing the papers. The WRONG thing would be to just give up having standards....

Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,913,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So we just give up, right? This kind of liberal hand-wringing is so depressing. I think this policy is perfect- get the kids to get angry with the irresponsible adults in their lives so that they grow up with the idea that they WON'T be like them as adults. I would think that after a few times of not signing the work, the teachers (or God forbid, administrators...) would bring in these lazy ass parents and ask why they aren't signing the papers. The WRONG thing would be to just give up having standards....
I don't consider parents who are working two jobs to be lazy. Neither are parents who travel as part of their jobs. In both cases, they are unavailable to sign papers on a daily basis.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I don't consider parents who are working two jobs to be lazy. Neither are parents who travel as part of their jobs. In both cases, they are unavailable to sign papers on a daily basis.

Ah, the straw man. So the children are left with whom? Alone? Of course parents work and travel. I'm assuming the teacher would accept work signed by the adult in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education