U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
 
Location: SWUS
5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
Reputation: 5781

Advertisements

Well, this is kinda too bad. If it was for EVERYONE, it wouldn't be a privelege...
gotta earn it.

I was in the gifted program at that age, was reading longer chapter books and doing plenty of stuff on my own and I never got to go to Disneyland... so a fraction of a fraction
of kids get to go to Disneyland because they're in the GATE program that actually does make them do more/more difficult work. Tough cookies for the rest, be outstanding and you
get outstanding rewards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
Reputation: 4494
Jordan, read the story. It's 60% of the students, hardly a fraction of a fraction. That doesn't set off alarm bells for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If it is similar to the Holidays Around The World - Candlelight Processional | Walt Disney World Resort program being accepted means the group is of a very high level. And I consider it very educational for music students even though there is time for fun during the trip.
They are very similar. (I was in the Candelight Processional myself in high school. We had to audition. We walked down Main Street in Disneyland then stood on the steps of the train station and belted out parts of Handel's "Messiah". Very cool experience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: SWUS
5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
Reputation: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Jordan, read the story. It's 60% of the students, hardly a fraction of a fraction. That doesn't set off alarm bells for you?
I actually did read it.

Perhaps a "fraction of a fraction" was the wrong phrase to use, but I still stand by my opinion. Most kids don't get the option of going on field trips like that anyways, I think the best one I got to go on was an afternoon at an amusement part for "graduating" eighth grade.

Maybe some kids don't need to be in gifted classes when others would do better in them, but that's just tough ****. Life isn't fair. I agree with one of the comments on the blog, if he feels so bad and she feels so bad, why did she let her son go then? She could have easily made it a family trip.

I disagree with several other parts of that particular read as well, such as the sentiment that kids who are "gifted" in ONE area be promoted to a grade on their skill level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
 
1,078 posts, read 2,209,037 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Well, this is kinda too bad. If it was for EVERYONE, it wouldn't be a privelege...
gotta earn it.

I was in the gifted program at that age, was reading longer chapter books and doing plenty of stuff on my own and I never got to go to Disneyland... so a fraction of a fraction
of kids get to go to Disneyland because they're in the GATE program that actually does make them do more/more difficult work. Tough cookies for the rest, be outstanding and you
get outstanding rewards.

I do believe my earlier point has been made with the attitude of your post-It takes a truly "outstanding" person to have an attitude like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19636
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
The actual G/T percentage in schools is 5% or lower. Why can't schools go back to emphasizing on the entire student body and not just the few who they feel are entitled? The way I look at it, EVERY CHILD, EVERY SINGLE CHILD is gifted in one way or another. Those who say the "truly" gifted students deserve anything more than any other child are fooling themselves. Aside from the fact that those people are the one's who segregate children into groups, they are the one's making the 95% of those not gifted feel like they have no reason to achieve higher goals. As parents, educators and community members, it is our duty to ensure that EVERY child be made to feel that they are important and that they make a difference. If we all did that, there would be less kids feeling like they don't even need to try.
I do not think this was a good use of resources to be sure but aside from that gifted and talented pull outs are equally as valid and needed as pull outs for those at the other end of the spectrum.

True tracking (and I mean by skill level independent of subject or age) can raise the bar for EVERYONE. I completely mixed group by skill means that the instruction has to be geared towards the middle. This makes the kids below that frustrated and those above it bored. Neither is conducive to a love of learning.

Gifted students need not get MORE but they are certainly entitled to DIFFERENT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19636
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Nobody is saying hold the G/T students back. Even I feel there is a need for instruction in schools for them. What the post is about is giving G/T students rewards for higher intellect, ie. Disneyland trip. The other point of the original post was the actual percentage of G/T students compared to mainstream. When rewards are given for something the student hasn't actually worked hard for then it's like slapping the mainstream students in the face. I believe that true G/T children are born with higher intellect. True giftedness is not a learned attribute therefore, children who are not born with giftedness suffer thanks to schools and parents pushing for the program. Gifted students need challenges not trips to Disneyland. Our school rewards G/T also and because it is a very small school (k-12 is around 150 students), animoscity is at an all time high. Our percentage is also very high. Roughly 30% of our entire student body has been classified as "gifted". Really? It must be in the water or more perhaps teacher's children, religious affiliation, income ect....My own son was asked to be tested for G/T and he declined as he has seen what impact some of his friendships have had since the start of the program. He doesn't like labels and that's just another label on children.
Depends on the reward. If it is something they directly earned? Sure.

Some of my students win a particular national academic competition most years. They are "entitled" to the reward, a week long expense paid trip during the school year, because they earned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,388 posts, read 1,162,859 times
Reputation: 3208
Default they didn't win anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Depends on the reward. If it is something they directly earned? Sure.

Some of my students win a particular national academic competition most years. They are "entitled" to the reward, a week long expense paid trip during the school year, because they earned it.
The parents paid for the trip- the trip was only offered to the gifted--just for being selected for the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Some of my students win a particular national academic competition most years. They are "entitled" to the reward, a week long expense paid trip during the school year, because they earned it.
Well, ain't I feeling ancient because 40 years ago students who won a national academic competition got (as their reward) the satisfaction of knowing they won and something to put down on their college applications. (And maybe their teacher would bring donuts to class.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
Reputation: 4494
Have we once again forgotten that these kids are in elementary school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top