Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Seems to be the war cry of the Fall Quarter. Have you all heard students say this before?

My reply:

"If you took the prerequisites for this course, you are responsible for knowing the content of those courses. If you didn't take the prerequisites, you're in the wrong class."

Then I hear some whining along the lines of:

"But I had **** last year and (s)he didn't teach anything."

To which I say:

"And now you know the price you pay for being in an 'easy' teacher's class. You could have transferred last year. But now you're here and we're moving on."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
My reply:

"If you took the prerequisites for this course, you are responsible for knowing the content of those courses. If you didn't take the prerequisites, you're in the wrong class."

To which I say:

"And now you know the price you pay for being in an 'easy' teacher's class. You could have transferred last year. But now you're here and we're moving on."
I'm waiting. This year, I've really lightened up my review. I can't afford 6 weeks reviewing what my students should know before setting foot in my room. You should see the looks I get when I just apply something they should already know. I get asked "When did YOU teach us that?" to which I reply, you learned it in so and so's class... and move on. Last year I spent six weeks on review and all I eneded up doing was giving a lot of A's for first quarter. This year, I'm telling my students that they need to do the review if they don't remember the material and teaching content I own.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm waiting. This year, I've really lightened up my review. I can't afford 6 weeks reviewing what my students should know before setting foot in my room. You should see the looks I get when I just apply something they should already know. I get asked "When did YOU teach us that?" to which I reply, you learned it in so and so's class... and move on. Last year I spent six weeks on review and all I eneded up doing was giving a lot of A's for first quarter. This year, I'm telling my students that they need to do the review if they don't remember the material and teaching content I own.
And if they mention this (most likely in the form of complaints) to their friends in so-and-so's class, maybe those students will pay attention and actually learn the material.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
And if they mention this (most likely in the form of complaints) to their friends in so-and-so's class, maybe those students will pay attention and actually learn the material.

Or, more likely, they'll tell their parents who will go to the Principal with complaints she's being "unreasonable" in her demands. Which the Principal, if he's of the new breed of ball less wonders, will agree with and put her under corrective observation and supervision.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: extra word

Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
My reply:

To which I say:

My Chicago inner city high school placed kids into geometry even if they failed Algebra I. They *assumed* the kids would go to summer school *and* pass Algebra I in summer school. Of course, they mostly did not do this, so we had lots of kids who never passed the prerequisite course. Math, being sequential and building on skills meant they then failed Geometry too.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or, more likely, they'll tell their parents who will go to the Principal with complaints she's being "unreasonable" in her demands. Which the Principal, if he's of the new breed of ball less wonders, will agree with and put her under corrective observation and supervision.
I did get told to teach to the bottom of the class last year...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sounds familiar.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM

389 posts, read 916,616 times
Our daughters have attended schools in 4 different states over the past 6 years. For the most part, they melded into the new school system without much of a problem. The biggest problem area I saw was in the social studies subject as some of the states taught more of a ___ state's history class. It made it very difficult to pass a final exam on this state's history if you were not in the class from the beginning of the school year (we moved twice in the middle of the school year).

In regards to students not realizing how important it is to actually "learn" the material, I still remember my French teacher in high school telling us that it was not her job to "learn" us, but rather to "teach" us. It was up to us to do the rest, and our work in the class would demonstrate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education