U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Then don't participate. It is VOLUNTARY.

Voluntary - for the time being.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Voluntary - for the time being.
LOL!

You actually think a PUBLIC school will be able to force its way into your home when even the police cannot?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No.
I appreciate your honesty.

But in reality its a moot point. You have decided regardless of reason the visit is unacceptable to your family. That is your choice but saying that NO ONE should be allowed to benefit from this programs isn't really fair then.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Whether the purpose is to evaluate or not, the teacher is going to evaluate and judge and form opinions which will probably not be accurate based on one 15 minute visit.

So no, not ok.
If you think teachers are not evaluating your children and thus your family based on the things that they see in school than you are deluding yourself.

It is human nature to make judgments based on the information provided. Generally speaking the more information we have the better and more accurate a judgment is, so it maybe better all around to have more info.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM

613 posts, read 807,669 times
Quote:
If you think teachers are not evaluating your children and thus your family based on the things that they see in school than you are deluding yourself.

It is human nature to make judgments based on the information provided. Generally speaking the more information we have the better and more accurate a judgment is, so it maybe better all around to have more info.
I'm not deluding myself, which is why more info is none of their business unless I want to make it their business.

And in response to another post, of course the school can't force their way in someone's home, but they already do a good job at pressuring parents into things they are not comfortable with. I imagine that those parents who opt out of this program will automatically be judged as being uncooperative in partnering with the school.

No Thanks!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not deluding myself, which is why more info is none of their business unless I want to make it their business.

And in response to another post, of course the school can't force their way in someone's home, but they already do a good job at pressuring parents into things they are not comfortable with. I imagine that those parents who opt out of this program will automatically be judged as being uncooperative in partnering with the school.

No Thanks!
Wait, you do not want to participate, which is completely your right, but want to deny anyone else from participating because YOU fear being judged?

That is not your right. You do not have the right to be free from the consequences of your choices. Many low income families without transportation or who work during parent teacher conferences stand to benefit from in home visits. While you certainly have the right to not participate you do not have the right to demand an end to a program that benefits others just because you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Wait, you do not want to participate, which is completely your right, but want to deny anyone else from participating because YOU fear being judged?

That is not your right. You do not have the right to be free from the consequences of your choices. Many low income families without transportation or who work during parent teacher conferences stand to benefit from in home visits. While you certainly have the right to not participate you do not have the right to demand an end to a program that benefits others just because you want to have your cake and eat it too.
Where did I say I don't want anyone else to participate? I don't care what anyone else does, just saying that I can see public schools turning on the pressure to get more parents to participate even when they
R not comfortable with it

Old 10-15-2011, 02:38 PM

4,662 posts, read 5,907,077 times
As a teacher, the only way I even consider a home visit to one of my students is when I have exhausted every other method of reaching the parents with no success. Even then, I am escourted by our schools DARE office who is a local policeman. I have only had to do this two times in my career. Both times the student was failing and creating major disruption problems in my classroom. The student had provided false phone numbers and was intercepting the mail before the parent could get the letters I had sent. From that moment on, I had no problems from that student.

Oh yes, let me just say that the look on the students face was priceless, total shock, when he walked in the front door and there was a police officer and his teacher sitting on the sofa, drinking a cup of coffee with his parents.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Where did I say I don't want anyone else to participate? I don't care what anyone else does, just saying that I can see public schools turning on the pressure to get more parents to participate even when they
R not comfortable with it
So what?

You said ""I imagine that those parents who opt out of this program will automatically be judged as being uncooperative in partnering with the school. "

Well, technically you are being uncooperative, at least with that program. That is your choice but choices have consequences. You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So what?

You said ""I imagine that those parents who opt out of this program will automatically be judged as being uncooperative in partnering with the school. "

Well, technically you are being uncooperative, at least with that program. That is your choice but choices have consequences. You can't have it both ways.
Exactly why it's a bad idea, but I doubt you will see that.

Both ways? What does that even mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education