U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
 
613 posts, read 807,669 times
Reputation: 711

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is what would bother me. I do not feel that anyone from a government school should be sent to my house to evaluate the environment for any reason.

BTW-I am a teacher (not currently working) and I would not like this from a teacher's standpoint either. I think it could be dangerous for the teachers and it places them in a position of evaluating someone else's home environment.
I agree with Momma_bear. I would much prefer to meet my child's teacher in at school, in the classroom where my child will be spending 6 hours a day for the next 10 months. Having the teacher come to my home tells me nothing about the environment my child will be in either.

I also agree it sounds a little unsafe for the teacher and no way a teacher is walking out o this without passing some sort of judgement, whether positive or negative, though it could be totally off base. First impressions are not always the most accurate.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Privacy is a severely over-rated value.
Not to me. It is a right the Supreme Court of the United States has told me I am entitled to and I cherish it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's just how it seems to me.
Your perception is incorrect.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Reputation: 15406
Come on, you know perfectly well the kid who lives in the 4000 sq ft house, with manicured lawn, a Mercedes parked in front is going to be seen differently than the kid who lives in a rusted-out trailer with a beat up pick up truck and snarling hounds in the front!

There you go....,go to the local animal shelter, "foster" some mean-looking dogs, put them in the front yard, put up a sign, beware of dog, and another sign, bell broke, please knock----------bet the "teacher patrol" will run off!


Seriously, we used to have what was called Welcome Walk, the teachers came in pairs, and never came inside. We never knew until they came who would be the kids teachers. I had my kids write a short letter of introduction about themselves, and included a small photo of the child. I was pleased to see the picture on the teacher's desk, they told me it was much appreciated in getting to know them, all those kids look alike!

But seriously, I felt it to be invasive, and a way of 'ranking" the kids. Those in nice houses with stay-at-home moms were naturally going to be seen in a different light than those in cramped trailers or small apts. You know perfectly well they are forming opinions as they visit, even if that's not the purpose (just what is the purpose of those home visits?). and of course, if they came across a house like you see on those shows, clean up this mess, or hoarders, well, of course that will send off alarms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
 
15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Reputation: 19636
I think we can all agree (hopefully?) that if it is mandatory with an intent to sniff out bad situations it is an abuse of power BUT if it is voluntary and an attempt to bridge the parent teacher gap than it is obviously a positive thing, right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,046,215 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What exactly does that mean?

Frankly, the level of paranoia, mistrust and downright rudeness on this thread is as comical as it is sad. Heaven forbid a school should try to work in partnership with families. The people crying about this are the first ones to raise a stink when test scores fall or the dropout rate rises.


Test scores mean nothing. Passing a multiple choice math test and reading test at the rate of 55% means nothing to any parent or any student. It only matters to administrators and politicians. Dropout rates reported by schools and school districts have been under-reported for decades and are flawed. Public schools are broken. I worked over 30 years in a public high school in California.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,409 posts, read 9,558,582 times
Reputation: 8577
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
[/i]

Test scores mean nothing. Passing a multiple choice math test and reading test at the rate of 55% means nothing to any parent or any student. It only matters to administrators and politicians. Dropout rates reported by schools and school districts have been under-reported for decades and are flawed. Public schools are broken. I worked over 30 years in a public high school in California.
That doesn't stop people from making a stink about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Come on, you know perfectly well the kid who lives in the 4000 sq ft house, with manicured lawn, a Mercedes parked in front is going to be seen differently than the kid who lives in a rusted-out trailer with a beat up pick up truck and snarling hounds in the front!

There you go....,go to the local animal shelter, "foster" some mean-looking dogs, put them in the front yard, put up a sign, beware of dog, and another sign, bell broke, please knock----------bet the "teacher patrol" will run off!


Seriously, we used to have what was called Welcome Walk, the teachers came in pairs, and never came inside. We never knew until they came who would be the kids teachers. I had my kids write a short letter of introduction about themselves, and included a small photo of the child. I was pleased to see the picture on the teacher's desk, they told me it was much appreciated in getting to know them, all those kids look alike!

But seriously, I felt it to be invasive, and a way of 'ranking" the kids. Those in nice houses with stay-at-home moms were naturally going to be seen in a different light than those in cramped trailers or small apts. You know perfectly well they are forming opinions as they visit, even if that's not the purpose (just what is the purpose of those home visits?). and of course, if they came across a house like you see on those shows, clean up this mess, or hoarders, well, of course that will send off alarms.
Of course, teachers are human and form opinions. The fact is that home issues do have an effect on the child and his learning. OTOH, teachers are less likely to be judgmental when they actually get a chance to meet the parents and family in a less threatening way. So many parents will not come to school to meet teachers because they had bad experiences with school themselves. This is a chance to break that cycle. I would love it if every parent could come to school for parent conferences and meet the teacher nights. The fact is that the ones that teachers most need to see do NOT come to these functions. We need to reach out to these parents in some way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Your perception is incorrect.
How do you know?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We need to reach out to these parents in some way.
My guess is that if the conferences were held at the teacher's house attendance would sky-rocket. A chance to see how the teacher lives? The non-attending parents would go just to see if the dishes are washed.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top