Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think we can all agree (hopefully?) that if it is mandatory with an intent to sniff out bad situations it is an abuse of power BUT if it is voluntary and an attempt to bridge the parent teacher gap than it is obviously a positive thing, right?
No-I don't think we can all agree that is true. As both a parent and a teacher I can see no positive reason for these home visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,230,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My guess is that if the conferences were held at the teacher's house attendance would sky-rocket. A chance to see how the teacher lives? The non-attending parents would go just to see if the dishes are washed.
Mine would see that my house is not much bigger than my classroom!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
My guess is that if the conferences were held at the teacher's house attendance would sky-rocket. A chance to see how the teacher lives? The non-attending parents would go just to see if the dishes are washed.
Actually I doubt they would. I taught in the inner city, but I did not live in that neighborhood. Getting to my house would have been a big problem for most of my student's families. This is true in many places. Teachers in poor communities may live outside those communities. Teachers in wealthy communities may live outside those boundaries as well because they cannot afford homes in the wealthier area. It *might* work in a town where the teachers were living where they close to the school.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How do you know?
Because I've read the posts on this thread about the nature & purpose of the visits. They do not even hint at what you believe.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because I've read the posts on this thread about the nature & purpose of the visits. They do not even hint at what you believe.
The posts on this page (mine included) hardly provide the definitive reason for the nature and purpose of the visits.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think we can all agree (hopefully?) that if it is mandatory with an intent to sniff out bad situations it is an abuse of power BUT if it is voluntary and an attempt to bridge the parent teacher gap than it is obviously a positive thing, right?
How do you prevent that line from being blurred? What if the teacher comes to your home and considers it a health hazard because it isn't spotless? In what instances, if any, would the teacher feel that there might be a bad situation and feel compelled/be required to report it? What exactly is there to gain/learn/determine by having a home visit, as opposed to a school visit?

I attend school functions and parent/teacher meetings and consider myself a decent parent, but there is no way that I would voluntarily allow a home visit. Color me skeptical about the so-called reasons for mandatory visits.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually I doubt they would. I taught in the inner city, but I did not live in that neighborhood. Getting to my house would have been a big problem for most of my student's families. This is true in many places. Teachers in poor communities may live outside those communities. Teachers in wealthy communities may live outside those boundaries as well because they cannot afford homes in the wealthier area. It *might* work in a town where the teachers were living where they close to the school.
I'm not sure you understood the spirit behind my post but....

A question. (Open to any teacher who cares to respond.) How would you feel about having parents come to your private residence for conferences? Because we can turn this around. A teacher wants to visit a student's home to see if there are any impediments to his learning. How about parents visiting the teacher's home to see if there is anything that will affect his/her ability to teach?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
How do you prevent that line from being blurred? What if the teacher comes to your home and considers it a health hazard because it isn't spotless? In what instances, if any, would the teacher feel that there might be a bad situation and feel compelled/be required to report it? What exactly is there to gain/learn/determine by having a home visit, as opposed to a school visit?
Teachers are required to contact family services in the event a child is being abused. If a teacher reported a family as "abusive" for having a house that isn't spotless, they open themselves up for making frivolous reports.

I, personally hate the idea of home visits, but if I had to do them, I cannot imagine anything I would see at someone's home that would make me think a child is abused that I would not see at school as well.

Based on information given it appears the reasoning is that it is easier to meet parents at home, especially if they have other kids at home, have transportation issues, etc. Additionally, it is easier to have a real conversation with a parent if there isn't another one tapping their toes waiting for their "turn".

Quote:
I attend school functions and parent/teacher meetings and consider myself a decent parent, but there is no way that I would voluntarily allow a home visit. Color me skeptical about the so-called reasons for mandatory visits.
Then don't. That is why it is VOLUNTARY.

But for parents who are not as involved it may help them connect to the school more.

Not everything needs to be of benefit to you personally to be useful.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM

613 posts, read 991,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That IS NOT what they are doing. Teachers do not evaluate the homes of their students. They are there to actually meet the parents, see if there is anything that might effect the child's school learning and give the parents first hand info about themselves as teachers.
They can meet the parents just as easily at school to get to 'know' the parents and give them first hand info about themselves as well.

But, see if there is anything that might effect the child's learning by visiting the home? What does that mean and how exactly is that accomplished? Do they want to get an idea of their sociology-economic status? Check out the car in the driveway? Check the garbage cans for beer bottles to determine if parents are alcoholics? See if there are any marijuana plants growing in the yard? What are they using to determine if there is anything in the home that might effect the child's learning?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
I'm not sure you understood the spirit behind my post but....

A question. (Open to any teacher who cares to respond.) How would you feel about having parents come to your private residence for conferences? Because we can turn this around. A teacher wants to visit a student's home to see if there are any impediments to his learning. How about parents visiting the teacher's home to see if there is anything that will affect his/her ability to teach?
Sorry but the analogy is not apt.

Even if you accept the premise that the primary purpose is to "see if there are any impediments to learning" (which by the way I do not). Children are usually not able to control their own circumstances while adults typically are, therefore it is not a realistic comparison. Whether a teacher's home is spotless or cluttered tells you nothing about their ability to teach but knowing for example, that a home is shared with an extended family or a child is primarily cared for by siblings can have a huge difference in a child's ability to meet certain expectations.

In another thread, people bemoan the requirement that parents are required to sign off on homework. A teacher visit may illuminate that for that particular child a sibling or other caretakers signature may have to suffice.

I actually suspect that the reasoning is more along the lines of showing how much teachers want to involve parents and more along the lines of "aren't we doing so much" that I have seen many schools engage in. But whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education