Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times

Advertisements

I experienced my very first Teacher Home Visit this morning, and I'm failing to see or otherwise understand just exactly what it is my sons school is trying to accomplish, other than being just intrusive.

The Parent/Teacher Home Visit Project, IMHO, is a fail ..

I fail to see how this would "increase student attendance" .. other than putting the fear of the CPS into the hearts and the minds of neglectful/non-neglectful parents ..

Our son has tested slightly above average already .. even before this home visit .. so I fail to see the point of it all when they say that these visits increase student test scores.

Decreased suspension and or expulsion rates? .. Pah-lease .. CPS again comes to mind.

Decreased Vandalism at the school site? .. um .. no connection there either.

Quote:
THE PARENT/TEACHER HOME VISIT PROJECT -- is an inexpensive and easily replicated model of family engagement that has been proven to end the cycle of blame between families and school staff by building trust and respect, instilling cultural competency and increasing personal and professional capacity for all involved.
Parent Teacher Home Visit Project

Building a good relationship between family and school can't happen when things like this are forced upon the home .. The website claims it's own success in that it might exist in only 11 states .. it also touts the fact that school districts are fairly lazy in how they administer the mandate of informing the parents of the childs progress at school .. it's cheap .. and easy .. for the school district .. but overly intrusive for the family IMO.

I see the potential for success with regard to this program only inasmuch as the parents and children are threatened by the law .. Forced acceptance of a concept under any circumstance is wrong, regardless of how well intended it might be.

Power of home visits and caring stressed to teachers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Education

When I read this report in the Bozeman Chronicle, I can't help but come away with the notion that school attendance increased more as a result of the fear instilled into the parents and the kids by the authorities, than that the teachers actually cared.

Teachers, IMO, are too motivated by the Dept of Education, and it's mandates, to care much at all about anything other than breaking those laws or mandates.

You can't educate anyone .. whether it be kids, or parents, or even teachers, when you fear that the mandate may rear it's ugly head at any moment ..

What are your thoughts? .. Does your school district force the Home Visit concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I experienced my very first Teacher Home Visit this morning, and I'm failing to see or otherwise understand just exactly what it is my sons school is trying to accomplish, other than being just intrusive.

I fail to see how this would "increase student attendance" .. other than putting the fear of the CPS into the hearts and the minds of neglectful/non-neglectful parents ..

Our son has tested slightly above average already .. even before this home visit .. so I fail to see the point of it all when they say that these visits increase student test scores.

Decreased suspension and or expulsion rates? .. Pah-lease .. CPS again comes to mind.

Building a good relationship between family and school can't happen when things like this are forced upon the home .. The website claims it's own success in that it might exist in only 11 states .. it also touts the fact that school districts are fairly lazy in how they administer the mandate of informing the parents of the childs progress at school .. it's cheap .. and easiy .. for the school district .. but overly intrusive for the family IMO.

I see the potential for success with regard to this program only inasmuch as the parents and children are threatened by the law .. Forced acceptance of a concept under any circumstance is wrong, regardless of how well intended it might be.

Power of home visits and caring stressed to teachers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Education

When I read this report in the Bozeman Chronicle, I can't help but come away with the notion that school attendance increased more as a result of the fear instilled into the parents and the kids by the authorities, than that the teachers actually cared.

Teachers, IMO, are too motivated by the Dept of Education, and it's mandates, to care much at all about anything other than breaking those laws or mandates.

You can't educate anyone .. whether it be kids, or parents, or even teachers, when you fear that the mandate may rear it's ugly head at any moment ..

What are your thoughts? .. Does your school district force the Home Visit concept?
Wow, so you are forced to let a public school teacher into your house? Something about that seems wrong. I had two teachers in my K-12 career that were arrested...one for attempted murder, and I lived in a "good" neighborhood. I don't like the idea of being told who to let in your private residence.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:

Building a good relationship between family and school can't happen when things like this are forced upon the home .. The website claims it's own success in that it might exist in only 11 states .. it also touts the fact that school districts are fairly lazy in how they administer the mandate of informing the parents of the childs progress at school .. it's cheap .. and easy .. for the school district .. but overly intrusive for the family IMO.

Never heard of this. Is it mandatory? Doesn't sound good if it is - too intrusive.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Reason #48292 to homeschool...

There's no way in hell I'd let them into our home, unless I extended an invitation for whatever reason.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
If there was a meeting scheduled for bad behavior, I would meet them at the school in the administration office.
For this, I'd tell them I'm flattered, but no thank you.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If there was a meeting scheduled for bad behavior, I would meet them at the school in the administration office.
For this, I'd tell them I'm flattered, but no thank you.
It's not as easy as all of that .. They paint with an extremely broad brush here .. the attitude is such that says, "parents are not as competent .. as we are" ..

They assume that they can do a better job of loving and caring for "the child" ..

Hardly an ice breaker if you ask me

And yet they expect the parent to open up ..

IMO, this would serve to cause the parent .. to further insulate themselves, and their children from the school district altogether.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
It's not as easy as all of that .. They paint with an extremely broad brush here .. the attitude is such that says, "parents are not as competent .. as we are" ..

They assume that they can do a better job of loving and caring for "the child" ..

Hardly an ice breaker if you ask me

And yet they expect the parent to open up ..

IMO, this would serve to cause the parent .. to further insulate themselves, and their children from the school district altogether.

Well, there was a time long ago, the teachers would have dinner with the families of their pupils, but that was a way to say thank you and a form of payment.

The public school, has no business at my home today, in 2011.

Let them paint that broad brush, I as an individual can say no thank you, just as easy as it is cutting the bristles off the brush.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the attitude of the public school crowd in general. It's also the foundation of the anti-homeschool movement. It is, of course, a total farce, but that's the claim. Teachers unions are one of the biggest pushers of this idea, since the schools lose money for every day that a child isn't in attendance. Getting them there and keeping them in their seats is the top priority. Education comes second to keeping the money flowing.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts?
Don't answer the door.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, there was a time long ago, the teachers would have dinner with the families of their pupils, but that was a way to say thank you and a form of payment.

The public school, has no business at my home today, in 2011.

Let them paint that broad brush, I as an individual can say no thank you, just as easy as it is cutting the bristles off the brush.
I remember those days too.

My Dad and our Basketball coach -- My Mom and our English teacher.

Sure .. they were great friends, but it made those two events tougher for me in the long run. I was envied by the guys on the team for sure, but Coach expected more of me as a result ..

I loved English (history too) so I'm glad that my overall go of it wasn't any tougher than it already was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education